Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 09:22 AM

13,973 posts, read 5,634,219 times

Advertisements

Expected standard of living + government meddling + cultural narrative = why most families can't live on a single income.

College costs? Government meddling.

Health insurance costs? Government meddling.

Outrageous housing costs? Government meddling.

1 car per person in the household? Expected standard of living.

Everyone in household buying whatever they want whenever they want? Cultural narrative and expected standard of living.

Kids getting 100% of their disposable income from parents instead of working? Cultural narrative.

Etc etc.

It's just how things evolve. Can't really blame one specific thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
If women and men could not hold the same jobs how did it affect the supply and demand significantly.
Working women began entering the job market for the same positions single women already held; elementary level school teachers, secretaries, stewardess, waitress, maid, hair dresser, etc. Jobs that already paid less than a typical mans job.

The competition for good jobs, the same jobs men do, from women and illegals and foreign visa holders has basically been over the last 10-15 years while "wage stagnation" began about 1980. Most of those wages have increased yet purchasing power has not. Legally employers can not pay an employee less due to their gender. Women have been fighting for fair and equal wages for some time. I cant imagine there are multitudes of women who are going to say, hey I'll do that job that man is doing for 3 dollars less on the hour. I don't see a lot of women working construction type jobs. On the other hand illegals and foreign works are willing to accept less pay. Even the lower wages is more than they can earn in their own country and their lifestyle allows them to live more cheaply than US citizens. We have also seen an increase in outsourcing, technology and automation as you stated, more $$ staying in the hands of the top earners and a shift from many smaller employers to fewer large employers.
So simply saying because more women joined the work force in 1960 doesn't really explain anything.
Women who work the same job and do the same work as men receive the similar pay. In some industries women make more.

36,547 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
AAAAH. Back in the really olden days we got into the Saturday morning movie for .09. Cartoons, a serial, news and the feature movie. A quarter would get you in, popcorn, a drink and a box of Milk Duds.
Man you are old!
Mom use to tell me it was a nickle to get in when she was a girl and you could get a drink and pop corn for another nickle. Of course it was in black and white with sub titles. and $0.10 was hard to come by.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:23 AM

15,867 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Same premise... They're larger than small private liberal arts colleges, they have a MUCH larger alumni network, which makes a HUGE difference in hiring opportunities.

Getting it yet? Even trying to think outside your little box yet? Just for a second?

And much fewer scholarships available, typically.

It was cheaper for me to go to a highly ranked, yet small, out of state private school than to go to UGA. Almost all of the private schools I got into (all ranked between 25-40 in US News and World Report's top college or universities lists) made it cheaper for me to go there than my state's flagship university. Some, including the one I attended, made it free.

Yes, I didn't get the huge alumni network, but I also didn't get the huge classes. I also didn't want to live in Georgia, so the huge alumni network isn't always beneficial if your plans aren't to remain in the region where you attend school. At the time, I was much more concerned with the placement in law school which was much better for the school I attended than for my flagship state school.

Different circumstances make for different situations.

It's still beyond concerning that since I graduated in 2010, a full-paying student went from paying 50K a year to attend my alma mater to almost 70K today. The numbers are smaller, but still increasing dramatically, for public schools.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:24 AM

36,547 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Women who work the same job and do the same work as men receive the similar pay. In some industries women make more.
Yes I know. So how are women driving down the wage for "men's jobs"? That was my point. They are willing to work for less.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:24 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Both private and public schools have increased in cost disproportionately to incomes.
That's the point that keeps sailing right over your head. The basics of American life cost a lot more now then they did in the good old days. Period. Home, education, health care.
I agree that costs for the things you mentioned have gone up dramatically. However, I'm not so sure exactly how disproportionate it is to incomes.

People with a college degree have substantially higher lifetime earnings than people without one. Especially, if you graduate with a degree in high-paying fields such as engineering.

Housing costs have skyrocketed, but this is mostly in metro areas on the east and west coasts where incomes are also much higher. Plus, there are much greater population pressures since the country's population has increased by 120 million since 1970. We live in a very different country from what it used to be.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofan View Post
This question is not specific to the US, but if capitalism brings so much wealth (and it does) why can´t families survive on a single income anymore like in the past when usually only men worked and women were not in the workforce?
We've been living on a single income for 22 years. BUT...as my husband approaches retirement, I may seek work to help us get through retirement.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You are hopeless. I don't even know why I continue to bother.
Seriously? Take a look at what private school liberal arts degree grads face...
Quote:
"The millennial generation is still lagging in the workplace, making up about 40 percent of the unemployed in the U.S., says Anthony Carnevale, a director and research professor for Georgetown University’s Center on Education and the Workforce."
Millennials: Young, Supposedly Educated, Jobless - Newsweek

Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I agree that costs for the things you mentioned have gone up dramatically. However, I'm not so sure exactly how disproportionate it is to incomes.

People with a college degree have substantially higher lifetime earnings than people without one. Especially, if you graduate with a degree in high-paying fields such as engineering.

Housing costs have skyrocketed, but this is mostly in metro areas on the east and west coasts where incomes are also much higher. Plus, there are much greater population pressures since the country's population has increased by 120 million since 1970. Things are very different from what they used to be.
This is a really good point. See, I took a step back and actually took into account something someone else said.

Some other people on this forum might want to try it. Again, it seems hopeless though.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:30 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Seriously? Take a look at what private school liberal arts degree grads face...Millennials: Young, Supposedly Educated, Jobless - Newsweek
Still going and right on cue with my previous post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies