Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 10:57 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber11 View Post
HMMMM i'm speculating here but Amazon zero taxes what does individual number 1 pay in taxes.

OOOPS we don't know because won't release his returns. Makes you wonder are they comparable rates/dollars
The rich are different than you and me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 10:57 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber11 View Post
HMMMM i'm speculating here but Amazon zero taxes what does individual number 1 pay in taxes.

OOOPS we don't know because won't release his returns. Makes you wonder are they comparable rates/dollars

Dear it's not about "Individual 1" as you call him because you can't accept that the Russian meme is dead. But I do get that he's managed to live in your head 24/7.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:58 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Win for most everyone. NY liberals apparently didn't want a "working class" company like Amazon there, just bankers and lawyers. And NYC is a horrible place to have to live or work. Crowded, horrid traffic and parking, crappy weather, insanely expensive business and residential real estate, most taxed state in the nation. Win for Amazon employees that won't be required to live in the Rotten Apple.

Workers will likely see the equivalent to a 20% wage increase (due to taxation/col) if they move to a nicer, smaller city in an area with better weather. And the company will save massively.

I have to wonder if Bezos wasn't just playing with Cuomo and NYC in the first place-it doesn't make sense as a location to move a business to.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:01 AM

Hahahaha.

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status...89851148025856

Old 02-14-2019, 11:02 AM

There's going to be a YUGE number of upset people.

https://twitter.com/BarbarianCap/sta...92250822594560

Old 02-14-2019, 11:03 AM

923 posts, read 495,136 times
VA Governor issues response to the news that Amazon will double down on the Crystal City plans:

Old 02-14-2019, 11:04 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
How will Andrew Cuomo and Mayor DeBlasio blame this on President Trump?

Old 02-14-2019, 11:04 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I live near Cincinnati, OH, and CVG airport, where Amazon has 5-6 distribution centers...they are not that great of jobs that people believe them to be.

They are constantly hiring, and have a horrendous employee turnover problem, (they cannot retain employees). A good friend of mine worked there 3 yrs ago, he said they had all kinds of rules in place that discouraged people from quitting within the first week they are employed, he said it was common for numerous new hires to walk out, or go to lunch their first day and not come back.

'Good jobs at Good companies' do NOT have problems with employees quitting within the first week on the job! LOL
I understand your point, but this wasn't going to be a distribution center.
There would have been some of those jobs, but there would have many office, tech, and administrative jobs to go along with it.

I like AOC, she has some good ideas, but this was just childish stupidity.
I do know a few people who bought in LIC hoping to profit from the situation. I'm going to be able to laugh at them now, and that is the only upside to this.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:05 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Why are they loony leftists? Because they didn't want the government giving subsidies to Amazon (and by extension, the richest person on the planet)?
You fool. You bought into the liberal media talking points hook line and sinker. This project would have brought double the jobs to the region in Construction, materials and area revitalization. Billions of dollars in revenue for the city. State and earned money bybwaybof jobs just went poof. $3 billion to get them to come here which would have allowed the city and state to break even within 3 to 5 years. This is an unmitigated disaster that was brought to by Democrats that actually thought hey maybe after years of telling people we are going to give them free stuff so they dont have to work but at the same time tell them we will bring you good paying jobs too so you can work completely back fired on them and ultimately was undone by the same radical policies they have been pushing that make no sense for anyone

Old 02-14-2019, 11:07 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
Not surprised. But I was shocked NY was picked in the first place. NY already had a housing problem and this move would’ve made it worse. And I knew the locals would treat them with hostility. I don’t know why Amazon expected otherwise. I am impressed with how fast they decided to cut bait and run rather then waste time by trying to change the local’s minds. Eventhough 70% of NYers wanted Amazon there.

The question I have is who won? I think no one did.
Trump won. There was some talk about a meeting between Trump and Cuomo, it was said it had something to do with taxes, SALT deductions or some such thing. Cuomo needed something from Trump, didn't get it, now this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies