Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 08:00 AM

24,508 posts, read 17,260,237 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many people received the same letter and how many actually sent a check to them?

Everyone has their hand out these days.
My niece is in third grade and on the first day of class she came home with a list of school supplies to buy, about $40 worth of stuff. Doesn't the school supply the basics anymore?

The latest scam was a "fun run" around the gym where we were hit up to give her money for each lap she jogged round. They were trying to raise money to put AC in the classrooms. What do I pay my already high property taxes for that keep going up year after year due to proposition 2 1/2 overrides ?

A check for the well paid Doctor? How about the over worked nurses?

Everyone has their hands out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 08:26 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,231,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
No, the letter said specifically the money was for the Doctor.
Not in what you've quoted, so that's what I was going by.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:35 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,667,664 times
Crazy request is all I can say!

Old 02-15-2019, 08:35 AM

1,991 posts, read 901,927 times
If I get twenty minutes a year face time with the guy, I’m lucky. For that, he’s well paid. That solicitation would end up in the trash.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's horrible!

I recently got a letter from my doctor saying she was moving to a concierge practice, and would require $2,000 a year membership fee. (This is addition to the $900 a month I pay for an Obamacare plan with a high deductible.)
Generally speaking, primary care physicians are amongst the lowest compensated specialties. The practice is often dependent limited patient time and high volume. They face increasing competition from Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners. No reason to see a physician for say an annual flu shot when you can be vaccinated at your local grocer/ pharmacy operation.

Concierge Medicine began nearly 25 years ago. There are numerous models operating under the Concierge/ Membership umbrella. In 2000, a group of physicians formed MDVIP - a membership only practice. It was acquired by Proctor and Gamble in 2009. Unlike some concierge models, MDVIP is compatible with insurance and includes advanced health screening and diagnostic tests that might not be covered by insurance. They now have 900 Nationwide MDs in practice.

Traditional Concierge practices target patients who are willing to pay more for VIP- level treatment, same day appointments, longer time with physician, virtual medicine, increased emphasis on preventative care, door to door transportation, etc. Many specialize in patients with chronic disease or those at high risk of chronic disease who need extra time.

Some employers offer the benefit of Consierge/ Membership Medicind to their employees.

Doctors/ Medical practices continue to be free to opt in/ out of private and public insurance plans and membership organizations.

Sounds like you will need to consider finding a new doctor/ medical practice. Perhaps your current physician could make a recommendation.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
One of the most prestegious medical universities on the East Coast between NY and Washington DC.
The prestigious medical university solicits donations from patients of affiliated physicians ? Do I have this right?

Donations to qualified foundations are tax deductible, whereas a donation to a one off physician would not likely be deductible as he/ she would not qualify.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:46 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,404,826 times
Were it me that got this letter, the words that come to mind are words like "aggravated", "insulted", "offended", or "irritated". Like the hospital or appointment bills are not expensive enough.

Last edited by Eumaois; 02-15-2019 at 09:00 AM..

Old 02-15-2019, 08:48 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,514,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Generally speaking, primary care physicians are amongst the lowest compensated specialties. The practice is often dependent limited patient time and high volume. They face increasing competition from Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners. No reason to see a physician for say an annual flu shot when you can be vaccinated at your local grocer/ pharmacy operation.

Concierge Medicine began nearly 25 years ago. There are numerous models operating under the Concierge/ Membership umbrella. In 2000, a group of physicians formed MDVIP - a membership only practice. It was acquired by Proctor and Gamble in 2009. Unlike some concierge models, MDVIP is compatible with insurance and includes advanced health screening and diagnostic tests that might not be covered by insurance. They now have 900 Nationwide MDs in practice.

Traditional Concierge practices target patients who are willing to pay more for VIP- level treatment, same day appointments, longer time with physician, virtual medicine, increased emphasis on preventative care, door to door transportation, etc. Many specialize in patients with chronic disease or those at high risk of chronic disease who need extra time.

Some employers offer the benefit of Consierge/ Membership Medicind to their employees.

Doctors/ Medical practices continue to be free to opt in/ out of private and public insurance plans and membership organizations.

Sounds like you will need to consider finding a new doctor/ medical practice. Perhaps your current physician could make a recommendation.
Thanks. Based on your description, my doctor is part of the "traditional" model. It pays for better access, but does not include diagnostic tests and screenings.

Yup. I really like this doctor, but between insurance premiums, deductibles, and now this concierge fee, I could have to pay close to $20,000 a year. Time to start looking for a new doc.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Thanks. Based on your description, my doctor is part of the "traditional" model. It pays for better access, but does not include diagnostic tests and screenings.

Yup. I really like this doctor, but between insurance premiums, deductibles, and now this concierge fee, I could have to pay close to $20,000 a year. Time to start looking for a new doc.
I understand.

My husband belongs to a membership model. Seems to make sense for him, given his medical history/ schedule.

I am satisfied with seeing one of the many physician assistants in the practice on a walk in basis, on the rare occasion I seek medical attention. Depending on time of year/ day of week, the wait can be an hour or more. Sometimes, a lot more. I refuse to spend time in a waiting room of sick people. So I walk and wait for a text from the front desk.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:01 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,295,082 times
Quote:
Just the other day, I received a letter from my medical provider that basically read:

" Celebrate National Doctor Month, please send a gift of $100- $2500 to thank your Doctor for the service they provided throughout the year".

This letter came directly from my medical provider and was no scam or hoax.

After reading the letter, I was steaming mad and could not believe a hospital was soliciting money from patients to give to well paid Doctors!
LOL

No thanks. I'll give money to my food bank or to an organization that is helping poor people I could give a rat's behind about any doctors who are having financial trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies