Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

I'd prefer to see the draft declared unconstitutional on the basis of being involuntary servitude. I can't think of a worse form of that than to force people to go slaughter other people because the government says they must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 08:24 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not likely, just something to think about since one day in the near future women will be required to register.
I was talking about pregnancy/child care specifically. I would think that when a woman or couple enlist they have considered or prepared for child care while a woman who would theoretically be drafted would not, especially if she were a single mother.
If there were a draft, it's not like everyone would be drafted immediately.

Men between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register. So if the law is equally applied, women between the ages of 18 and 25 would be required to register. So already, the pool of potential draftees has been narrowed.

If there were a draft - which again is a virtual impossibility - the draft lottery would start with the people who turn 20 that year. So now we are looking at 20 year old women who are single moms who happen to get chosen in a theoretical draft lottery.

If selected in the lottery, draftees must report for an evaluation and classification.

There are over 30 classifications , according to Selective Service System website and many of them are for "not able to serve". Conscientious objector, student, civilian needed in a critical industry, or that service would cause a hardship to the family just to name a few.

No one needs to fear that every woman in America will get drafted tomorrow leading to a rash of pregnant soldier and abandoned children.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:39 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
If there were a draft, it's not like everyone would be drafted immediately.

Men between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register. So if the law is equally applied, women between the ages of 18 and 25 would be required to register. So already, the pool of potential draftees has been narrowed.

If there were a draft - which again is a virtual impossibility - the draft lottery would start with the people who turn 20 that year. So now we are looking at 20 year old women who are single moms who happen to get chosen in a theoretical draft lottery.

If selected in the lottery, draftees must report for an evaluation and classification.

There are over 30 classifications , according to Selective Service System website and many of them are for "not able to serve". Conscientious objector, student, civilian needed in a critical industry, or that service would cause a hardship to the family just to name a few.

No one needs to fear that every woman in America will get drafted tomorrow leading to a rash of pregnant soldier and abandoned children.
Makes sense.
Was this logic applied during the Vietnam draft when between 20,000-40,000 draft dodgers fled to Canada.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Makes sense.
Was this logic applied during the Vietnam draft when between 20,000-40,000 draft dodgers fled to Canada.
Yes.

https://thevietnamwar.info/vietnam-war-draft/

Old 02-26-2019, 10:27 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Not likely, just something to think about since one day in the near future women will be required to register.
I was talking about pregnancy/child care specifically. I would think that when a woman or couple enlist they have considered or prepared for child care while a woman who would theoretically be drafted would not, especially if she were a single mother.
There are so many dispensations for men in a draft situation (waaaay back in the '70's) that all that stuff will have to be revisited. But there have always been lots of ways for men to avoid the draft, and there will be for women too...it's part and parcel of it so get ready. No doubt men will start taking hormones and do sex change surgery so that THEY can get pregnant too to take advantage of that "loophole". On the other hand, are they really THAT stupid?!

Old 02-26-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
IDK. If the draft inequities were addressed and supposedly corrected in 1969 but draft resistance peaked in the early 1970's it doesn't seem that draft system prevents multitudes from dodging.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
IDK. If the draft inequities were addressed and supposedly corrected in 1969 but draft resistance peaked in the early 1970's it doesn't seem that draft system prevents multitudes from dodging.

I don't know that it was intended to prevent "dodging". People who don't want to serve are unlikely to change their minds based on the methodology used to call them to service.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I don't know that it was intended to prevent "dodging". People who don't want to serve are unlikely to change their minds based on the methodology used to call them to service.
Same principle though. Leave the country or do the easiest thing for a woman and get pregnant to avoid service. If 30-40 thousand guys would dodge the draft by leaving the country why wouldn't a significant number of gals get pregnant to avoid war.
I know this will likely never come to pass but just for arguments sake. All I found on female conscription in other countries is that women are exempted for pregnancy.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:41 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
This country is plummeting into an endless pit of stupid so quickly it's making my head spin.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Same principle though. Leave the country or do the easiest thing for a woman and get pregnant to avoid service. If 30-40 thousand guys would dodge the draft by leaving the country why wouldn't a significant number of gals get pregnant to avoid war.
I know this will likely never come to pass but just for arguments sake. All I found on female conscription in other countries is that women are exempted for pregnancy.
Oh for heaven's sake.

Well, I guess it is theoretically possible that there could be a future war requiring drafting over two million soldiers.

And I suppose it is theoretically possible that some young women would purposely get pregnant and thus commit to the expense and effort of raising a child for at least 18 years so they could put off being drafted for 9 months.

Sure, that's a totally logical and reasonable argument to make against this court decision.

I wonder why the lawyers didn't use it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies