Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:43 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,039,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is funny how the OP said that "What a great idea to allow people who can't pass background checks the opportunity to pop a cap in public."

There are very few legal law abiding gun owners that are looking to "pop a cap" in public.

Carrying a gun is like having insurance. You hope that you will never need but if you do then you are really happy that you have it.

You've obviously spent little or no time in Oklahoma!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 08:50 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,769,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I haven't heard anything about that and if that were the case it would be in the news. I should note there is exception for Philly but that will be challenged at some point and they will likely lose.
I’ll have to look for it again. Not sure when I read it but it stuck in my memory. If I find it, I’ll post a link for it.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:05 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,549,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
But did it go up in the rest of the state? I suspect the gun law change had nothing to do with that and it was something city-specific to a city I've always heard is a high crime area.
I'm not sure that a single city can skew the average to such a dramatic increase. 6.6 to 9.8 state wide is a dramatic increase in violence, perhaps not all attributed to shooting deaths but likely most of them are.

People think more guns keep them safe, but they don't, and never have. I'm not advocating to take away anyones gun rights, just saying the likelihood of getting shot is always higher when there is an increase in firearms amongst a demographic or population.

You can show a lily white state with a population density one of the lowest in the nation and say "well, look at all these guns, and no one is hardly shooting anybody!" but those were low crime states to begin with, and would likely have even lower homicide rates with less firearms.

More guns don't increase public safety, they decrease public safety.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:08 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,153,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm not sure that a single city can skew the average to such a dramatic increase. 6.6 to 9.8 state wide is a dramatic increase in violence, perhaps not all attributed to shooting deaths but likely most of them are.

People think more guns keep them safe, but they don't, and never have. I'm not advocating to take away anyones gun rights, just saying the likelihood of getting shot is always higher when there is an increase in firearms.

You can show a lily white state with a population density one of the lowest in the nation and say "well, look at all these guns, and no one is hardly shooting anybody!" but those were low crime states to begin with, and would likely be even lower homicide rates with less guns.
We have had ONE gun death in my county in Missouri in the last ten years, and it was between two drug dealers. And most of those that I know carry concealed. We don't hide it from friends.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:09 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,769,738 times
Here is one. The gist of it is if you can get a conceal carry permit, get one and you’re protected.
It’s not the original article I saw but it is one that addresses it.

Wolf State of Emergency Proclamation Has Gun Owners Up in Arms : exploreVenango.com

Old 02-26-2019, 09:22 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,130,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Much ado about nothing. Selective liberal outrage.
And it's Liberal Cities that have the highest murder rate by far

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 02-28-2019 at 12:34 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 10:27 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,634,405 times
Wat good does passing a BG check do anyway? If I recall correctly the past couple mass shooters had no criminal records, so they could pass a background check too!

A BG check is only going to catch those who have been in trouble and convicted before....and thats it!

Old 02-27-2019, 01:52 AM

16,644 posts, read 8,653,875 times
Quote:

People think more guns keep them safe, but they don't, and never have. I'm not advocating to take away anyones gun rights, just saying the likelihood of getting shot is always higher when there is an increase in firearms amongst a demographic or population.

You can show a lily white state with a population density one of the lowest in the nation and say "well, look at all these guns, and no one is hardly shooting anybody!" but those were low crime states to begin with, and would likely have even lower homicide rates with less firearms.

More guns don't increase public safety, they decrease public safety.
More fake news, as usual from you.

`

Old 02-27-2019, 02:03 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,580,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is funny how the OP said that "What a great idea to allow people who can't pass background checks the opportunity to pop a cap in public."

There are very few legal law abiding gun owners that are looking to "pop a cap" in public.

Carrying a gun is like having insurance. You hope that you will never need but if you do then you are really happy that you have it.
And not that the OP would likely ever decide to set foot in Oklahoma.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:05 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,505,902 times
Quote:
The officers words:

Also, your own link shows that homicides per 100,000 in Missouri went from 6.6 in 2014 to 9.8 in 2017, proving that there was a dramatic increase in murders. Gun humpers rejoice anytime they can take their object of affection with them out in public, but it really never makes anyone safer in the end, only increases the likelihood someone is going to get shot.
Guess you better turn your M1 carbine in and whatever other firearms in your posession.

Do it for Muh public safetyz.
Don't be a hypocritical elitist as what's good for me is not for thee, lead by example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies