Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 11:27 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I suspect I'm on your ignore list, but if I'm not...

How does using the ignore feature accomplish anything different from simply choosing not to reply to a comment? I don't get it...

More often than not, whether it be conservative or liberal using the feature, doing so always seems born of frustration, AKA not being able to control one's emotions.
I don't use the ignore list much, but I do use it a little. Mostly, those who've earned a spot have done so more by repetition of the same point over and over in a single thread than for any specific view with which I disagree. It's less about political differences than extreme diarrhea of the keyboard. Some threads can get very long, and I find it helpful to filter out the truly redundant stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 11:46 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't use the ignore list much, but I do use it a little. Mostly, those who've earned a spot have done so more by repetition of the same point over and over in a single thread than for any specific view with which I disagree. It's less about political differences than extreme diarrhea of the keyboard. Some threads can get very long, and I find it helpful to filter out the truly redundant stuff.
Makes sense but how would you know when that person might do better? Maybe not repeat the same thing? Wouldn't you prefer to know rather than guess or assume about the likes? I am just not one to see any value in using such a feature rather than simply letting me judge what to read or not, what to entertain or not.

More particularly when it comes to why I think MOST people use the feature, it has far more to do with ego, emotion and intolerance of contrary opinion more than anything else. That too is just not what dictates what I do or don't do in this forum, but of course that's just me...

Old 03-01-2019, 11:58 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I suspect I'm on your ignore list, but if I'm not...

How does using the ignore feature accomplish anything different from simply choosing not to reply to a comment? I don't get it...

More often than not, whether it be conservative or liberal using the feature, doing so always seems born of frustration, AKA not being able to control one's emotions.
I've used the ignore feature, and I'll tell you why I use it on some and not others. I put people on ignore who never contribute a thing to the discussion. Those who do the drive by insults - and that's all they do. OR those whose entire posting history is nothing more than "exactly" to someone elses thought out posts.

I see plenty of posts on here that completely and totally disagree with me - and not all of them are well thought out, but at some point, that poster, whether I agree with them or not, no matter how idiotic I think they are, has written something out that showed more thought than just "what he said" or "Drumpf sucks!" and adds nothing at all to any conversation.

In a very few very rare cases, I have put someone on ignore when it's evident that they are baiting. They say outlandish things on purpose, and their sole desire is to get you banned from this forum. I've seen that a few times on here, and they are on my ignore. I'm not playing their stupid game.

I choose to spend my time how I want, and reading "yah! Drumpf sucks!" to everything is like continually watching a child race into the living room where the grown ups are having a get together, screaming, "Look at me, everyone!", and proceeding to proudly soil themselves in front of them all. I don't find that entertaining nor worth wasting time on, so I put them on ignore.

And as for "it's only the right", please. I know a lot of people have me on ignore. I don't care one iota, doesn't hurt me at all, same as me putting someone on ignore doesn't hurt them at all. And I'm sure that the reason is because they don't like that I won't back down. If you're (general 'you') going to attack me, I'm going to stand up to that. If you (general 'you') thought I was going to roll over and take it, sit down and shut up, you (general 'you') were wrong.

Putting someone on ignore is not "silencing" an entire group of people. As a matter of fact, a couple of lefties on here have always, or almost always, written well thought out posts, have been relatively respectable, and I have respect for them even if I don't agree with a single word that they say.

There is a huge difference between: "I'm not going to listen to that nonsense anymore" and putting them on ignore so that YOU don't have to see their posts, and banning or silencing people because not only do you not want to hear it, you don't want anyone else to hear it...and, in some cases, the ones who try to silence go even further by doxxing that person and trying to destroy their entire lives. Over an opinion.

The ignore feature is not even close to the same thing.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:22 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
If it makes the media so angry, it must be good. Though I really don't see how this is much more than a thing of convenience. Without it, one could still post a link to an article on forums and social sites and comment on it.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:26 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
If it makes the media so angry, it must be good. Though I really don't see how this is much more than a thing of convenience. Without it, one could still post a link to an article on forums and social sites and comment on it.
Functionally, that is pretty similar to what it is, if you had the forum running in a different window and whenever you navigated anywhere it took you to a forum page for that specific link. Which is why they get control the rules of the forum. Which is why people should stop hyperventilating about other websites moderating as they see fit. Because it is their property, they own it.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:00 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
There are limitations to the program. I started a comment section for this thread but it only works on page 1.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:02 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,895 times
I love this. So many dumb leftist articles need a dose of reality and I'm all for superimposing freedom of speech on their preachy, one-sided BS.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:24 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,146,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
There are limitations to the program. I started a comment section for this thread but it only works on page 1.
Yeah, it’s got a few bugs and limitations, but it was only released a few days ago. I’m sure many improvements are to come.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've used the ignore feature, and I'll tell you why I use it on some and not others. I put people on ignore who never contribute a thing to the discussion. Those who do the drive by insults - and that's all they do. OR those whose entire posting history is nothing more than "exactly" to someone elses thought out posts.

I see plenty of posts on here that completely and totally disagree with me - and not all of them are well thought out, but at some point, that poster, whether I agree with them or not, no matter how idiotic I think they are, has written something out that showed more thought than just "what he said" or "Drumpf sucks!" and adds nothing at all to any conversation.

In a very few very rare cases, I have put someone on ignore when it's evident that they are baiting. They say outlandish things on purpose, and their sole desire is to get you banned from this forum. I've seen that a few times on here, and they are on my ignore. I'm not playing their stupid game.

I choose to spend my time how I want, and reading "yah! Drumpf sucks!" to everything is like continually watching a child race into the living room where the grown ups are having a get together, screaming, "Look at me, everyone!", and proceeding to proudly soil themselves in front of them all. I don't find that entertaining nor worth wasting time on, so I put them on ignore.

And as for "it's only the right", please. I know a lot of people have me on ignore. I don't care one iota, doesn't hurt me at all, same as me putting someone on ignore doesn't hurt them at all. And I'm sure that the reason is because they don't like that I won't back down. If you're (general 'you') going to attack me, I'm going to stand up to that. If you (general 'you') thought I was going to roll over and take it, sit down and shut up, you (general 'you') were wrong.

Putting someone on ignore is not "silencing" an entire group of people. As a matter of fact, a couple of lefties on here have always, or almost always, written well thought out posts, have been relatively respectable, and I have respect for them even if I don't agree with a single word that they say.

There is a huge difference between: "I'm not going to listen to that nonsense anymore" and putting them on ignore so that YOU don't have to see their posts, and banning or silencing people because not only do you not want to hear it, you don't want anyone else to hear it...and, in some cases, the ones who try to silence go even further by doxxing that person and trying to destroy their entire lives. Over an opinion.

The ignore feature is not even close to the same thing.
Never suggested that "it's only the right." Just that it seems to be more conservatives than liberals, but I've seen the same from both...

Either way, I simply scan the comments from people you put on ignore in seconds flat, and if I am not inclined to engage with them for all the good reasons you list, I don't. I just don't like to go without seeing all comments whatever they may be, because the "drive by" tid bits of nonsense either should be called out as such or..., simply ignored. Hardly makes a bit of difference to me. To each his own of course, but mostly I think the ignore feature is used by people frustrated with opinion different from theirs. You are apparently using the feature for other reasons I can far better accept.

"Whatever works for you" as they say!

Old 03-02-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I love this. So many dumb leftist articles need a dose of reality and I'm all for superimposing freedom of speech on their preachy, one-sided BS.
This comment for example. Either call it out for what it is or simply ignore. How many people must Three Wolves have on ignore I've really got to wonder. Must be at least one or two more per day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies