Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 10:50 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times

Advertisements

If these idiots have not learned their lesson from Star Wars, then let them lose more money. Star Wars and Marvel will always make money, but they will make far less money and suffer flops if female oriented, because the Star Wars and Marvel Universes are primarily male fantasies.

Most women and girls just do not want to see 90 to 120 minutes of ass-kicking. God bless those who do, like my wife, but it is the exception, not the rule, and they apparently have not idea what a "target audience" is.

All they are doing is creating a void and opening the door for DC and other comic book heroes to com in an fill it.

Good luck to this movie--I may see it myself. But this character is not the real Captain Marvel, she is Ms. Marvel. Yes, someone has already corrected me that she took over the mantle of Captain Marvel...in an era when no one read comic nooks because they were putting out stories that no one wanted to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 02:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
If these idiots have not learned their lesson from Star Wars, then let them lose more money. Star Wars and Marvel will always make money, but they will make far less money and suffer flops if female oriented, because the Star Wars and Marvel Universes are primarily male fantasies.

Most women and girls just do not want to see 90 to 120 minutes of ass-kicking. God bless those who do, like my wife, but it is the exception, not the rule, and they apparently have not idea what a "target audience" is.

All they are doing is creating a void and opening the door for DC and other comic book heroes to com in an fill it.

Good luck to this movie--I may see it myself. But this character is not the real Captain Marvel, she is Ms. Marvel. Yes, someone has already corrected me that she took over the mantle of Captain Marvel...in an era when no one read comic nooks because they were putting out stories that no one wanted to read.
No, it is not about it being female oriented, black oriented, etc. No one, even back in the 70's, cared about Princess Leia being the co-lead role, and being one of the most important characters and leader of the rebellion. No one cared that Ripley was the hero against the aliens. No one made a big deal over Blade being black.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:14 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, it is not about it being female oriented, black oriented, etc. No one, even back in the 70's, cared about Princess Leia being the co-lead role, and being one of the most important characters and leader of the rebellion. No one cared that Ripley was the hero against the aliens. No one made a big deal over Blade being black.
Yes, yes it is. Princess Leia was one of a cadre of mostly strong male figures. Ellen Ripley is more of a horror type "final girl," which is always been an acceptable inversion on expectations, because it heightens the horror to have the monster kill off the alpha males.

By they way, I said nothing about Blade, who is a classic alpha male, so why put words in my mouth? Not what I am talking about.

OP clearly said that they have announced that the Marvel Universe is going to be more female driven. When they make that switch, they will start to underperform, suffer flops, and cancel projects, just like they do with Star Wars. Bookmark the thread and we will re-visit in five years. It is going to be.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:53 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
If the USDOJ was smart, they would have rejected Disney and AT&T getting that much bigger via mergers.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:10 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Very interesting, thanks, Warhorse.

I didn't know anything about the controversy but, speaking as a big-time moviegoer, I think that anything that diminishes the audience for comic-book/superhero movies and makes it more likely that they'll go to better movies instead - I'm all for that!

Okay, I know that's not what you were hoping for, but still...

Old 03-02-2019, 07:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
meh.

i think the bigger question is if the market will sustain the current quantity/momentum of super-hero movies. marvel did an excellent ( but not flawless ) job of bringing their properties to the screen but.... disney is ultimately in charge now ( along with the star wars universe that i'd combine with the super-hero genre ). add to that sony's desperate desire to do the most with their ownership of spiderman/villians, netflix's cancellation of multiple super-hero series, DC's perpetual disappointments at the box-office outside of the dark night and wonder woman and FOX's dilemma with the hot mess that is their handling of the fantastic four and i think we have the makings for a sudden crash of the genre ( altho i believe it will continue, just not at this level ).
Disney will be able to make money from Marvel until they make bad movies. DC's mis-steps have not hurt Marvel yet and the X-Men movies haven't hurt Marvel. Until Marvel makes a string of bad movies that suck, they'll make more movies. Marvel Studios is waiting for the Fox buyout to happen to green light Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer and X-Men movies. With those, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, etc. There will be more than enough movies to last ten more years.

As for the Captain Marvel backlash, I find it it is more of the same crap stirred up by insecure males who thought the same about the newer Star Wars movies and didn't realize Princess Leia and Padmé were both strong women. In the MCU we have seen Black Widow, Gamorra The Wasp, the Ancient One, Suri be kick ass females before. However none have been the star of the film to now. So now it is acting like females never were heroes. Wonder Woman didn't even get this crap and that was adapting Wonder Woman mythology and changing the First Avenger plot to World War 1 rather than 2.

I'm seeing the the movie on Thursday. Why, because I am a Marvel fan. I just hope it lives up to the hype and shuts up the haters of women led comic book films and Brie Larson herself. Brie has gotten a lot of black on movie groups for not emoting during the footage in the trailers which maybe is 5% of the film if you have no overlap in the commercials. Yet haters use this as a way to attack her.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, yes it is. Princess Leia was one of a cadre of mostly strong male figures. Ellen Ripley is more of a horror type "final girl," which is always been an acceptable inversion on expectations, because it heightens the horror to have the monster kill off the alpha males.

By they way, I said nothing about Blade, who is a classic alpha male, so why put words in my mouth? Not what I am talking about.

OP clearly said that they have announced that the Marvel Universe is going to be more female driven. When they make that switch, they will start to underperform, suffer flops, and cancel projects, just like they do with Star Wars. Bookmark the thread and we will re-visit in five years. It is going to be.
Did not mean to state you said something about Blade, I was just giving an example as part of the discussion.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:

I'm going to have to disagree with you. Three out of the four Disney released Star Wars movies were female led film and in a few months, the fifth will be another. The Force Awakens was the first and was mostly balanced compared to the other "female led films" and performed the best both on box office for opening and the total haul. Rogue One was next and subject to some reshoots and noticeable changes, the movie still made 155m opening weekend and 500+m lifetime.The Last Jedi was divisive and regrettably the first of the Disney Star Wars films I only saw once in theaters. Not out of dislike, but illness during the Christmas holidays. It made a healthy 220m especially on a Rylo bait don't spoil the movie opening weekend campaign. The lifetime haul was 600m. Solo was a movie doomed from the start it seems. Many would criticize a young Han Solo casting even if they got say Chris Pratt who nearly is a Midas touch to roles. Then they changed directors and had a huge reshoot. The movie barely made as much as Force Awakens did in one weekend. So yeah, SJWs are killing Star Wars...

Old 03-02-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Disney will be able to make money from Marvel until they make bad movies. DC's mis-steps have not hurt Marvel yet and the X-Men movies haven't hurt Marvel. Until Marvel makes a string of bad movies that suck, they'll make more movies. Marvel Studios is waiting for the Fox buyout to happen to green light Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer and X-Men movies. With those, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, etc. There will be more than enough movies to last ten more years.

As for the Captain Marvel backlash, I find it it is more of the same crap stirred up by insecure males who thought the same about the newer Star Wars movies and didn't realize Princess Leia and Padmé were both strong women. In the MCU we have seen Black Widow, Gamorra The Wasp, the Ancient One, Suri be kick ass females before. However none have been the star of the film to now. So now it is acting like females never were heroes. Wonder Woman didn't even get this crap and that was adapting Wonder Woman mythology and changing the First Avenger plot to World War 1 rather than 2.

I'm seeing the the movie on Thursday. Why, because I am a Marvel fan. I just hope it lives up to the hype and shuts up the haters of women led comic book films and Brie Larson herself. Brie has gotten a lot of black on movie groups for not emoting during the footage in the trailers which maybe is 5% of the film if you have no overlap in the commercials. Yet haters use this as a way to attack her.
See, as I was saying, you are being obtuse towards the hate Captain Marvel is receiving, and it has nothing to do with her being a woman. It has to do with her comments. But since you, others, and the corporate handlers know full damn well there is really nothing to address other than "yes, she did make such comments", everyone just changes the narrative to "they hating because she is a woman".

The new SW suck, Solo, led by a white male, was so bad, it shook SW to the core. The characters are horrible, the story lines are bad, the only one worth the darn was Rogue. No one said anything negative about Padme not Leia, and it was not because "they did not realize they are strong women", fact is no one has issue with a woman is such a role, but people like you make it to be some woman hating thing if any criticism at all comes. As in not allowed to criticize any movie nor actor in it at all for any reason if they are a woman in the lead, immune from it all.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
See, as I was saying, you are being obtuse towards the hate Captain Marvel is receiving, and it has nothing to do with her being a woman. It has to do with her comments. But since you, others, and the corporate handlers know full damn well there is really nothing to address other than "yes, she did make such comments", everyone just changes the narrative to "they hating because she is a woman".

The new SW suck, Solo, led by a white male, was so bad, it shook SW to the core. The characters are horrible, the story lines are bad, the only one worth the darn was Rogue. No one said anything negative about Padme not Leia, and it was not because "they did not realize they are strong women", fact is no one has issue with a woman is such a role, but people like you make it to be some woman hating thing if any criticism at all comes. As in not allowed to criticize any movie nor actor in it at all for any reason if they are a woman in the lead, immune from it all.
I'm not being obtuse. There is talk about Brie Larson and her quotes in promoting the movie. I'm not gonna deny that. I just didn't think of them in the previous posts I made since there was enough to talk about in comic book movies and how the MCU is largely untouchable in regards to other studios putting out meh or bad performing comic book movies into the cinema or overblown female leads.

I have heard that but kept my nose to the grindstone on it and ignored it. Why, I'm seeing it. I got my shirt for the Thursday showing today. I'm excited because of the character, not the actress. This isn't the first movie star to do this and have a similar backlash as a movie is about to come out, won't be the last either. I just don't want it to effect my viewing of the movie.

As for Star Wars, I happen to love The Last Jedi but only saw it once. It did everything a good middle movie should do and question everything and leave you on a cliffhanger wanting more. It did that for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies