Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 07:21 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times

Advertisements

Congress has been all but neutered by gridlock.

The courts are losing legitimacy as they become more political.

The presidency is losing executive control of the agencies.

The erosion of the rule of law, I must say, comes from the top, regardless of party. Elected leaders are screwing up royally because they break the laws more often than the little people. They would need to be even more brazenly hypocritical than they are now to enforce the laws for the populace but not the rulers.

So lots of laws just get ignored, such as federal marijuana laws ignored by states or state gun control laws ignored by county sheriffs.

On one hand, it's frightening that elections are losing their power because the government is losing its power. On the other hand, the probability that you can get away with just ignoring the law gives you more freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 07:23 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
The government is losing power.

Shouldn’t liberals, who hate the man in charge of the executive branch, be happy then?

Old 03-08-2019, 07:26 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Shouldn’t liberals, who hate the man in charge of the executive branch, be happy then?
Most of those self-proclaimed "liberals" aren't liberal or open-minded at all; they just want the absolute power vested in the nation-state diverted for their own purposes.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Most of those self-proclaimed "liberals" aren't liberal or open-minded at all; they just want the absolute power vested in the nation-state diverted for their own purposes.
Well they're a little late to the party. Government power peaked in the mid-20th century. And look where that got us.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:28 PM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
That's a true statement. Most people that declare themselves as Liberal aren't. Most that say they are conservative are not either.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:35 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Government in general is losing power...

Oh if only that were true.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:35 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
A government in deadlock is the conservative ideal. Can't pass any new laws or spend a lot more money if they're too busy fighting each other. Having one party in charge of all 3 branches even if it's "yours" is a nightmare.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:36 PM

388 posts, read 200,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post

theyre not even incompetent. that would almost imply that theyre doing their best and its not good enough.

Quote:
rise to the top of the victimarchy, and you will be compensated with all the executive power they can put in a single victim elite.

thats the mythology of the democratic party at least. marx didnt put it that way, but thats still what he got. almost. at the last minute, you get a despot with supreme power and you cant say anything-- because you wouldnt understand what its like to be an intersectional protected group of 1 that leads a world power-- because anything else would be "hatred and bigotry."

"my leader, the people are starving."

"check your privilege! you dont know what its like up here at the top!"

"youre so right, my leader."

"who said i was YOUR leader? i dont belong to you!"

"i mean i understand, um... leader."

"if you understood, you would stop with the microaggressions. if you would just STEP BACK and LET ME TALK, you would know that you are too privileged to understand!"

"um, yes."

"do you understand?"

"yes!"

"WHAT?!"

"um, i mean-- no!"

"THATS RIGHT! maybe you finally understand that you wont ever get what its like-- because you cant!"

"i cant?"

"are you mocking me?"

"i honestly dont believe i am."

"of course you are mocking me, you cant understand and you have no respect?"

"leader, havent i read this story somewhere before?"

"what story?"

"i-- i dont know!"

"GUARDS!!!!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!"

(gillette theme plays softly, grimly in the background)

Last edited by dynamicjson; 03-08-2019 at 07:50 PM..

Old 03-08-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post

Tax evasion has never been more commoditized and available to the public. Same with illegal narcotics.

If you're lamenting the loss of the rule of law, I'm with you. However don't conflate that with slavish devotion to the law as everyone else just ignores it.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:17 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

"Liberal" ideology has been assimilated Borg-style by Leftists, which is the antithesis of what liberalism used to mean and is the bane of freedom in general.

In reality most powerful government is the the government the people are actively invested and participating in. When the government IS the people, we are doing it right, even if we don't agree about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies