Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 01:09 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,858 times

Advertisements

They tried this in Florida where the contract for lab work was awarded to a company owned by a relative of then-governor Rick Scott. They spent more in lab costs than they did "saving" money by denying benefits.

The fiscal argument is a failure.

Still, if it's a moral argument then anyone receiving government funds must be tested, not just the poor. That includes judges, law enforcement, elected officials and entities receiving corporate welfare (looking at you, auto/bank bailouts).

This proposal is just another way to demonize and criminalize poverty and line the pockets of wealthy politicians.

Alabama legislators propose drug testing for food stamp recipients
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 01:24 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Since I pay into the system, if I fail I shouldn't have to pay in.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:29 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Good. After other states implemented this, the number of people collecting food stamps dropped precipitously. Seems like they wouldn't give up their drugs long enough to clean up and pass a pee test. In other words they liked their drugs more than their handouts. Win-win.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:32 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Since I pay into the system, if I fail I shouldn't have to pay in.
Yes, that sounds most appropriate.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:40 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
I guess the appropriate question is - which AL legislator is going to get rich selling drug testing services to the state? You know there is at least one.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:42 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Despicable.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:44 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,670,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I guess the appropriate question is - which AL legislator is going to get rich selling drug testing services to the state? You know there is at least one.
Amen to this. As usual, follow the money.

This has proven to be a waste of time and money in other states except for the companies (and owners) that raked in big bucks.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:44 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Good. After other states implemented this, the number of people collecting food stamps dropped precipitously. Seems like they wouldn't give up their drugs long enough to clean up and pass a pee test. In other words they liked their drugs more than their handouts. Win-win.
How is it good, when its costing more than what they would save, to do all the testing?

I think ultimately this will just create a bunch of new drug dealers...if they get their income cut off suddenly they are going to do the next easiest thing to continue bringing money in, since they are already using drugs, its not difficult to make the jump to selling, in fact thats how many low level addicts support their own habits, they are just addicts themselves.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:45 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Well they are on the right track. Illegal drug users shouldn't be getting food stamps or any other handouts like welfare and Section 8 vouchers.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:46 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
They tried this in Florida where the contract for lab work was awarded to a company owned by a relative of then-governor Rick Scott. They spent more in lab costs than they did "saving" money by denying benefits.

The fiscal argument is a failure.

Still, if it's a moral argument then anyone receiving government funds must be tested, not just the poor. That includes judges, law enforcement, elected officials and entities receiving corporate welfare (looking at you, auto/bank bailouts).

This proposal is just another way to demonize and criminalize poverty and line the pockets of wealthy politicians.

Alabama legislators propose drug testing for food stamp recipients
Number of states have tried this and found it to not be worth the money and effort. It makes people who are misinformed happy because they think if you are on food stamps it is because you are some illegal drug taking imbecile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies