Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the entire US Interstate system be tolled?
Yes 7 8.54%
No 75 91.46%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 05:22 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,124,080 times

Advertisements

I think so! get rid of big government!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 05:28 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
No. And it can't by law, only highways that were tolled prior to becoming interstates are allowed to toll. Hence the Turnpikes in the NE and Midwest, those were tolled prior to becoming Interstates, so were grandfathered in. By law you can't add tolls to existing "free" lanes. So the only new toll lanes being added to existing interstates are "Lexus lanes" i.e. tolled express lanes, but the main lanes are still "free"

Old 03-22-2019, 05:28 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
YES! Finally rural parts of the country will be forced to pay for their own roads instead of billing urban areas. Absolutely yes. I support any change that forces rural voters to pay for themselves and get out of my wallet.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:30 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,124,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No. And it can't by law, only highways that were tolled prior to becoming interstates are allowed to toll. Hence the Turnpikes in the NE and Midwest, those were tolled prior to becoming Interstates, so were grandfathered in. By law you can't add tolls to existing "free" lanes. So the only new toll lanes being added to existing interstates are "Lexus lanes" i.e. tolled express lanes, but the main lanes are still "free"
This is wrong. The government is too big. It all needs to be privatized. Too much uncle sam.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:35 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Who likes paying tolls and now they have the gantrys over the highways that read your transponder, if you have one and they automatically deduct from your account or they send you a bill.
In my state we have excise taxes that are a sort of road tax. They have also been trying to get a graduated gas tax in place but it has been shot down twice by the voters. We also have toll roads with gantry's and they are always trying to increase the roads that can be tolled. My state wastes so much money spending hundreds of thousands more per mile on the roads then our neighboring states yet our roads are crumbling.

Maybe a nation wide toll would be better but probably not since the money would likely be squandered.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:35 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
This is wrong. The government is too big. It all needs to be privatized. Too much uncle sam.
It can't if it was built with public money. Roads can only be tolled if they were built with private funds

Old 03-22-2019, 05:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I think so! get rid of big government!
Then get rid of the federal fuel tax.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:39 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
YES! Finally rural parts of the country will be forced to pay for their own roads instead of billing urban areas. Absolutely yes.
I live in a rural state that won't ever have enough traffic on our Interstates to pay for the cost of repair.

At least for the rest of my life and probably my kid's lives, too. And my state is one that will be extremely difficult to ever urbanize like the midwestern states. At least half of it will always remain remote, lightly populated, and hard to travel because it's basically unfit for human habitation.

There are still many places all over the nation that are similar. There are other states more lightly populated than my own. They won't all become highly populated in the future.

Our interstate system was one of the very best federal programs ever instituted. They were build at the right time, too, because America really needed them once it became the world's super-power after WWII.

They are the arteries that keep us all alive and prospering now. Tolling them would kill that prosperity.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:41 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I live in a rural state that won't ever have enough traffic on our Interstates to pay for the cost of repair.

At least for the rest of my life and probably my kid's lives, too. And my state is one that will be extremely difficult to ever urbanize like the midwestern states. At least half of it will always remain remote, lightly populated, and hard to travel because it's basically unfit for human habitation.

There are still many places all over the nation that are similar. There are other states more lightly populated than my own. They won't all become highly populated in the future.

Our interstate system was one of the very best federal programs ever instituted. They were build at the right time, too, because America really needed them once it became the world's super-power after WWII.

They are the arteries that keep us all alive and prospering now. Tolling them would kill that prosperity.
The reality is it’s the city people using the roads more than rural people. City people use the roads to get away from the rat race of their making. Rural people already live in paradise and don’t feel the need to drive long distances.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:45 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Since those rural areas are trying to control urban populations while also taking our tax dollars, I'm fresh out of generosity for them. They are literally voting to take urban money. Tolling the roads would be the perfect solution making those that use the roads pay for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The reality is it’s the city people using the roads more than rural people. City people use the roads to get away from the rat race of their making. Rural people already live in paradise and don’t feel the need to drive long distances.
That's funny. Then rural areas should fully support tolling the interstate system since they think "city people" will pay for them. Let's find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies