Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 11:53 AM

21,552 posts, read 10,678,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
What I feel the strongest about, but no politician is willing to touch it in a meaningful way with a ten-foot pole, is out-of-wedlock births. So very many social ills can be directly tied to the phenomenon, and for multiple generations after it first occurs in a family. Fathers are not expendable.
It is a huge problem, but a social problem that the government can’t really fix. The government in my state already will establish paternity and collect and enforce child support if an unmarried pregnant woman applies for social services (and collects and enforces child support on all child support orders, whether on social services or not). They’ll still give them the services they need, but the father doesn’t get a free ride just because government is going to help. Beyond that I do not know what else can be done. They can’t force marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 11:53 AM

4,289 posts, read 3,215,170 times
Illegals!!!!

Old 03-29-2019, 11:54 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,618,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
the one social issue that affects my vote is party sanctioned racial hatred. the political party that is anti-white and anti-jewish ain't gettin' my vote.
What about anti black? Anti brown? Anti Muslim? What a conundrum you have.

A few issues are important, I’m not a one issue voter.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:56 AM

27,832 posts, read 28,958,767 times
The Wall.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:58 AM

20,944 posts, read 8,747,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It is a huge problem, but a social problem that the government can’t really fix. The government in my state already will establish paternity and collect and enforce child support if an unmarried pregnant woman applies for social services. They’ll still give them the services they need, but the father doesn’t get a free ride just because government is going to help. Beyond that I do not know what else can be done. They can’t force marriage:
Damned if you do and if you don't.

Remember, the "life" people think that abstinence is all government and society should spend their money on - they don't "believe" in family planning, birth control of education of such.

So then we are left with the alternative.

This country has gone backwards in so many ways...this is a prime example. When I was 16 my GF's and I would visit PP almost as a prerequisite for getting serious.

You can't, on one hand, have religions controlling government and social policy (through laws) and then on the other hand ask people to look to "non-superstitious" reason, logic and reality. The two don't mix.

Pray and have faith and the children will all be provided for.

If and when we end the American Talibs control of our states and feds we might get somewhere. A country can definitely move the needle, but it has to be well thought out.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:00 PM

16,283 posts, read 7,213,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
In other words, what issue must a candidate be for or against in order for you to vote for him or her? (Okay, fine, you can say more than one.)

Personally, I would not vote for any candidate who was not pro-choice up to some point between the 12th and 23rd week of pregnancy, and in extreme cases -- probable death of mother, non-viable fetus, etc. -- after that time.
This.
Abortion rights for women are in serious danger, the likelihood of Roe V Wade being overturned is very high. Many states have passed such laws that it makes it impossible for poor, working women to access safe abortions, having to go out of state or be away several days from work. Child abuse increases in places where abortion laws are so restrictive it is essentially banned. The Rights has started calling it infanticide shifting the power balance from women in control of their bodies to the govt. in control of their uterus.

This IS the one issue that is very important and it is not getting enough attention before it becomes too late.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:17 PM

16,283 posts, read 7,213,155 times
Quote:
Roe will never be overturned. The sky is not falling. - Republican
Somebody wrote this on my Rep message, giving me a Rep point. Thank you. Why anonymous?
With the Supreme Court turning a manic Right, and Trump and the Republicans all under the thrall of the evangelists, yes, it can be. And it is essentially getting overthrown in many Red states, with state laws and bans, which also have greater number of poor women and also have a weight at the Electoral College.

If you are a woman and believe women should have control over their own body, safety, and security, yes, the sky IS falling.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:23 PM

32,909 posts, read 19,601,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Somebody wrote this on my Rep message, giving me a Rep point. Thank you. Why anonymous?
With the Supreme Court turning a manic Right, and Trump and the Republicans all under the thrall of the evangelists, yes, it can be. And it is essentially getting overthrown in many Red states, with state laws and bans, which also have greater number of poor women and also have a weight at the Electoral College.

If you are a woman and believe women should have control over their own body, safety, and security, yes, the sky IS falling.
Roe-vs-wade will NEVER be overturned, especially not from the right wing

yes a woman has a right to determine her own body, but remember it took two to tango, and that dancing created another life

Old 03-29-2019, 12:34 PM

7,837 posts, read 6,430,806 times
sending 3rd world people back home.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:41 PM

8,430 posts, read 4,429,858 times
Having an idiot in the oval office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies