Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 05:10 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,279,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
In other words, what issue must a candidate be for or against in order for you to vote for him or her? (Okay, fine, you can say more than one.)

Personally, I would not vote for any candidate who was not pro-choice up to some point between the 12th and 23rd week of pregnancy, and in extreme cases -- probable death of mother, non-viable fetus, etc. -- after that time.
I'm a pragmatic Realist sort of person - the Reality is that the "candidate" doesn't pass legislation, can't over-rule or overturn the US Supreme Court and can't (or at least shouldn't) ignore the US Constitution.
They certainly can't Amend the Constitution with a "Pen and a Phone".

So ..... I look at their many duties.

1) Foreign Policy (let's try to keep the world as safe as possible) and promote comity between Nations.
I understand that basically we are the World's Police and better us than China or Russia, but I expect my Candidate/President to understand HOW the world works and the Economy is a big part of that.

2) I believe in Law and Order -- that doesn't mean I like all the laws, but those laws can be changed and made better ... NOT by the President (he doesn't have that power) - but by the lazy Congress.
Until they change the ones they don't like .... the MUST follow the Laws THEY have already passed.
This is pretty much Government 101. We are either a Nation of Law and Equality of Justice or we are not a Nation at all.

3) The President is the 1st Line of Defense for the Safety and Well being of the United States and it's Citizens. He is also responsible for the protection of our Border and our Homeland -
No Country can survive with an unprotected Border OR who accept 100,000 invaders in a 2 month period ... which is where we are now.

The Legislature is in charge of appropriations and yet the same Congress ignored the President's Budget and then blames him for what they pass laws to spend.
I'm interested in a President that holds their feet to the fire and hold the feet to the fire of the Millions of Federal Employees. I'm interested in a President that will work to clean out the Corruption in the Federal Government and who is not afraid of the Leftist Media that think THEY control everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 05:10 PM

177 posts, read 108,198 times
This is the best thread in a long time on this forum. I really enjoyed reading everyone's answers to the OP's question because (most) responders appeared to answer thoughtfully instead of simply name call the "other side". Reading the replies makes me hopeful that we are not as far apart as it often appears on POC.

I haven't been reading this forum as often lately because it seems as if the namecalling and nastiness has increased geometrically lately. I'm somewhat encouraged by this thread. Yes, there were a couple of "nasty" answers, but, in nine pages very few. I hope we can keep the forum this way. I think a lot of us would come back if we could.

I really want to hear what everyone thinks . . . just without the name-calling.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:11 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,465,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Illegal immigration. It has to be brought under control. My 2020 vote will be based on this issue above all others.
Agreed. This is my number one issue and is nonnegotiable.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:12 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Take care of the under privileged and assist them while being fiscally responsibility our national debt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You can’t take care of those that don’t take care of themselves.

People who wait for politicians to save them or legislate them out of poverty are going to be waiting until they’re dead
I think TBMorgan was talking about people who CANNOT take care of themselves. Those people need and deserve help to live a respectable life. It's because not everyone is highly intelligent or highly talented and all they can do is scrape by at menial jobs. Plenty of people are disadvantaged because they are physically or mentally incapable of bettering themselves. As long as they are trying and they are Americans, they deserve a life, not living under a bridge somewhere, taking a "bath" in McDonald's restroom, and then dragging themselves to some menial job that is the best they can get and not enough pay to live on. What kind of a country are we if we don't care about each other.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:07 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,385,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
This meme basically is a great example of how Trump lies, Fox lies, and then all their followers and viewers repeat the lie.
What? There wasn't anything close to a lie there. I'm not even sure there was a statement connected from Fox or Trump or his supporters.

Quote:
Who was marching through Charlottesville chanting "Jews will not replace us"? That would be Trump's 'fine people.'
And how could there possibly be anything wrong with objecting to being replaced? It seems like the people doing the replacing would be the bad guys.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:07 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,347,737 times
As a lifelong "lower-case" libertarian (that is -- one who seeks to guide himself via principle rather than affiliation to a single candidate, party or platform) I try hard to be guided by Voltaire's observation that "I may disagree with what you say, but will defend, to my death, your right to say it."

That central standard seems to be increasingly disregarded in an intensifying fight between those who cling to sometimes-contradictory socio-political standards and absolutes, and those advocating a mixed-message of feel-good concepts considered Politically Correct and aimed at the young, easily-impressed, and over-sheltered -- and both groups seem more interested in accessing, harnessing and centralizing the monopoly on the use of force granted to the modern nation-state, in order to impose their will on the other side; a very dangerous precedent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think TBMorgan was talking about people who CANNOT take care of themselves. Those people need and deserve help to live a respectable life. It's because not everyone is highly intelligent or highly talented and all they can do is scrape by at menial jobs. Plenty of people are disadvantaged because they are physically or mentally incapable of bettering themselves.
But the problem is that there aren't many Tom Joads (Henry Fonda in The Grapes of Wrath) out there-- in no small part due to an electronic media driven by narcissism and short-sight.

The end of American industrial dominance, combined with a swelling of the labor force and a leveling of the playing field in the wake of civil rights. the emancipation of women, and the growth of less-physical methods of labor not only intensified the struggle for advancement -- it likely shortened the prime years in which an individual employee has the chance to prove him/herself. Too many of the burn-outs camped on the streets of our West Coast cities have convinced themselves that bad as things are. they'll only be worse back home in Fort Dodge.

When there's not enough bread to go around, the American solution has always been to bake more of it -- at least, until recently. But the politics of envy seen focused more and more upon rationing a limited supply of highly-desirable bread.

Sooner or later, the problem of "acceptable vagrancy" will have to be confronted.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-29-2019 at 07:32 PM..

Old 03-29-2019, 09:38 PM

2,486 posts, read 826,204 times
Again, we have a bunch of armchair quarterbacks who are not actually affected by illegal immigration telling us that we are the racists. THEY are the racists who use illegal immigrants to clean their toilets and babysit their kids for slave wages.

We (contractors) are the people being affected directly for years. We are fed up!

I'm not a racist, I'm a blue collar worker who has been betrayed by the elite class who do not give a crap about us.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:40 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,218,012 times
The dissolution of the United States.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:41 PM

34,072 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Illegal aliens.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:24 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,580,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
The main issue would be illegal immigration. It needs to stop NOW. I will vote for Trump again primarily due to the immigration issue.

Agree!
It is reported that we will have 1.5 million illegals crossing the border this year. Every single department and agency involved with immigration including HLS has come out repeatedly saying this is an unprecedented EMERGENCY. Not only is that a huge financial drain on our country, but those are all future democrat voters. -- many pregnant women crossing — their babies will be citizens. Many are families with children crossing now knowing their children will get DACA benefits and amnesty.

Trump needs to close the border now! no more empty threats with no action.
Shame on the republicans for not,doing a thing on this when they had both House and Senate. I blame them more than the Dems right now......
Dems are openly for open borders.....republicans lie and say they are for cracking down on illegals then do nothing.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies