Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 01:20 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,896,490 times

Advertisements

Here are three issues that are important to me, in no special order:

Repealing Citizen's United and passing comprehensive campaign finance reform. It's time we stop putting our elected officials up for sale.

Gerrymandering. If not for this obscenity the make up of Congress would better reflect the true electorate.

Healthcare. We need to remove the greedy and useless insurance company middle men whose only concern is to suck up as much of the money that should go to actual healthcare as they possibly can. They serve no purpose except to try to deny people medical service while lining their pockets. They are useless money grubbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 01:21 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,528,673 times
Free speech is the single most important right for me that I feel is being threatened. Secondly is illegal immigration. It’s wildly out of control and we are slowly drowning from it.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:23 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,541,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...oh, let's see...a political issue...

...how's about the fact that 49 members of congress and 13 senators hold duel citizenship with Israel...why?
uhm many people hold dual citizenship

Diane DeGette D-Colorado holds a dual with Japan

Tammy Duckworth D- Illinois holds a dual with Thailand

and many, many more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_politicians

Old 03-29-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Here are three issues that are important to me, in no special order:

Repealing Citizen's United and passing comprehensive campaign finance reform. It's time we stop putting our elected officials up for sale.

Gerrymandering. If not for this obscenity the make up of Congress would better reflect the true electorate.

Healthcare. We need to remove the greedy and useless insurance company middle men whose only concern is to suck up as much of the money that should go to actual healthcare as they possibly can. They serve no purpose except to try to deny people medical service while lining their pockets. They are useless money grubbers.
Gerrymandering (the changing of districts due to population gain/loss) is required by the constitution based on the (every 10 year) census

Old 03-29-2019, 01:25 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,927,573 times
I don't have one issue about the only thing I would not hesitate killing over is the safety of my family other than that I don't worked up over much anything else for any length of time.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Gerrymandering (the changing of districts due to population gain/loss) is required by the constitution based on the (every 10 year) census
Gerrymandering is a Constitutional requirement? Seriously, you're going to go with that inanity?

Good God, the stupid that many Americans display about their own government is appalling.

(Psst: Look up the definition of the word. It's obvious you don't have a clue what it means.)

Old 03-29-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Gerrymandering is a Constitutional requirement? Seriously, you're going to go with that inanity?

Good God, the stupid that many Americans display about their own government is appalling.

(Psst: Look up the definition of the word. It's obvious you don't have a clue what it means.)
redistricting is what I am talking about

Gerrymandering is redistricting to push for better outcomes...designed by and named after a democrat

Old 03-29-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
redistricting is what I am talking about

Gerrymandering is redistricting to push for better outcomes...designed by and named after a democrat
Redistricting and gerrymandering are completely different things. One is required by the Constitution, the other is a political act to disenfranchise voters of the opposing party. I'm against the latter because it means we don't get true representation in Congress.

Cute how you tried so hard to lay this at the Democrat's feet. Who cares if it's named after some Democrat over two centuries ago. Both political parties use it routinely today, your beloved Republicans even more than the Democrats. They don't do it to "push for better outcomes," they do it to subvert the will of the electorate.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:18 PM

22,023 posts, read 9,599,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It is a huge problem, but a social problem that the government can’t really fix. The government in my state already will establish paternity and collect and enforce child support if an unmarried pregnant woman applies for social services (and collects and enforces child support on all child support orders, whether on social services or not). They’ll still give them the services they need, but the father doesn’t get a free ride just because government is going to help. Beyond that I do not know what else can be done. They can’t force marriage.
I agree with you a lot but there are policies in place that actually do the opposite and discourage marriage. I remember a recent episode of Judge Judy where she questioned the two participants, a man suing a woman for something. Cannot recall. They had been in a relationship, had kids together and admitted that if they got married, they couldn't get all their welfare payments because they man had a good job.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:19 PM

22,023 posts, read 9,599,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Free speech is the single most important right for me that I feel is being threatened. Secondly is illegal immigration. It’s wildly out of control and we are slowly drowning from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies