Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 12:54 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,305 times

Advertisements

Political Correctness has definitely morphed into a religion of sorts. No deity but all the preening and pearl clutching reminiscent of Christian fundamentalists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 04:27 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
A "great awakening" is impossible as civility is dead. that ship sailed in 2009 never to return. "elections have consequences".....and how. I personally think the decline in god based religions has been the death knell to civility.

Most people don't pay attention to politics, but our politicians on both political sides are enemies. I don't see that changing.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:54 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Liberalism IS the religion for most lefties. As Marxists suggest, God has to be eliminated such that the state can assume the role of God and provide the codes of conduct for its followers. If there is religion or a family unit in place, it is an impediment to left wing indoctrination. The enemies of the left (as they always have been) are:

Christianity

The Middle Class

The Family

This is why you can never carry on a rational discussion with a lib, as their politics is their religion and source of core beliefs. It would be like discussing the pedophilic tendencies of Mohammed with a Muslim.
This stuff you spout are fat lies.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:11 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
We need a new Great Awakening to make politics less toxic
Or we need fewer toxic a$$holes in politics to make politics less toxic.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:17 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The main problem we see today is coming from the Left. How many protests, riots have we seen and not to forget the constant negative drivel coming from our media and Hollywood.

They are doing nothing but contributing to the toxic divide between us.
I think you're right, but do you think the OP will be convinced by this if he can't see for himself?

The irony of this thread is that the religious toxicity in politics the OP so despises is predominantly a product of the secular left.

According to the exchange model of religion, the state and its institutions typically take the place and role of deity in secular cultures. This exposits the left's ceremonial disposition towards big government, which magnifies the object of their religious devotion.

As soon as someone like Trump came along to threaten that communion, he whipped a hornet's nest of mass religious hysteria. Once the left drew up battle lines along their ideological boundaries, they created a fervent counterposition among the right.

Instituting religion extrapolitically won't detox politics of religion, because the root cause of that toxicity is secularism itself.

Last edited by Hightower72; 04-03-2019 at 09:42 PM..

Old 04-04-2019, 09:57 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
What I notice is that most Conservatives on here are so hateful, especially if they are big Trump supporters. If someone doesn’t agree with them, they are nasty to the extreme. And so full of hate and aggression toward Liberals. I’ve never seen such hateful people, especially those who make up opinions Liberals don’t really have.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:13 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What I notice is that most Conservatives on here are so hateful, especially if they are big Trump supporters. If someone doesn’t agree with them, they are nasty to the extreme. And so full of hate and aggression toward Liberals. I’ve never seen such hateful people, especially those who make up opinions Liberals don’t really have.
I've seen it 24/7/365 since June 26, 2015, the day that "Judeo-Christian America" died. Ted Cruz said that was the darkest day in US history and I think it may have been, but not for the reason he thinks. I'm really hoping that in 10-20 years we'll be able to put this dark chapter of US history behind us without any serious upheaval.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:22 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Right and wrong, as theorized by humans, almost always boils down to rationalizations for self-interest. Self-interest may be "enlightened" (considering a long timeline) or short-sighted. Unless you're privy to some very rarefied info, I don't think you're able to sort out universal rights from universal wrongs any better or worse than anyone else.

People who start talking about right and wrong when they should be talking about your interests and my interests are the danger here. No need to universalize and totalize your desires. Just state them as such and advocate for them in a civil manner.
I disagree, at least for starters for example, I believe an exclusive adherence to the scientific method to arrive at the truth about much that man tends to disagree about greatly enhances our ability to choose right from wrong. To distinguish truth from nonsense. Unfortunately, there are just far too many people who's upbringing and "self-interest" has them so deeply invested in all manner of alternative ways of judging the truth, right from wrong, the chance of real "enlightenment" comes painfully slow. Nevertheless, we have made progress compared to where we were 100s of years ago, and I'm optimistic that progress will continue as it has.

Until that lack of "enlightenment" might end our days altogether...

I don't have any "self-interest" in believing what science teaches us in any case, other than my interest in whatever the truth may be, whether it suits me or not.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Political Correctness has definitely morphed into a religion of sorts. No deity but all the preening and pearl clutching reminiscent of Christian fundamentalists.
AKA the simple push toward greater emphasis on fostering more civility between us...

Why, for example, insult, disrespect or demean someone simply because they are different? Women, POC, gays, etc? Why not simply "live and let live," including an end to the jokes, nods and touching that was somehow considered okay before? By those who tended to indulge in the likes at the expense of others of course.

To me, people who seem to have "heartburn" over even these more extreme versions of promoting PC are more often than not the sort of people who maintain the sort of backward thinking that prevailed back when "men were men and women stayed in the kitchen." AKA older white men more often than not, but all too many uncivil people either way. Uncivil to one degree or another...

Old 04-04-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
A "great awakening" is impossible as civility is dead. that ship sailed in 2009 never to return. "elections have consequences".....and how. I personally think the decline in god based religions has been the death knell to civility.

Most people don't pay attention to politics, but our politicians on both political sides are enemies. I don't see that changing.
Might be the fact most people don't pay attention to politics is why we've got what crap for politics that we have in this country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies