Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 03:13 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,560,095 times

Advertisements

Civility is a nice sentiment — but it's harder to put into practice.

Take a contentious debate last year in the Maine House of Representatives over a proposal to ban conversion therapy — a discredited treatment designed to make gay people straight.

Republican state Rep. Roger Reed stood up to oppose the conversion therapy ban, calling it an attempt to "legitimize ... unnatural inclinations."

Immediately, that comment — a verbal attack on LGBTQ people — elicited shouts from members of the Maine House and a rebuke from House Speaker Sara Gideon, who called a 25-minute timeout so everyone could cool down.

In an interview recently, Gideon said that this was just one of several times she has had to call out inappropriate or uncivil remarks by members on both sides of the aisle.

I blame all of us, including Trump," Pouliot said. "When we don't pay attention unless somebody really makes some type of an obscene outcry, we're all to blame. And I think that oftentimes we want to blame political figures ... for the problems that we're seeing in government —

but our government is a function of what it is that we want."

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/04/70992...oss-the-divide

Our government is a function of what we want. Meaning most wont set aside their differences so we can move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 04:33 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,641,380 times
Only Dems actually are willing to compromise. Republicans idea of compromise is caving into them and their demands

Old 04-05-2019, 04:46 AM

9,484 posts, read 5,262,587 times
Funny you should mention this, because I was thinking about it this morning.
I think we have lost all civility, and frankly, to claim that 'one side of the other' has the corner on being able to compromise is laughable.
I'd bet that 90% of the constituents on both sides of the aisle DON'T agree with comments and stances their so-called representatives take on many issues. Which means, to me, we are not being fairly represented. "These people" (535) have made this all about them and their political gain and game and to hell with the rest of us. It's disgraceful.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Only Dems actually are willing to compromise. Republicans idea of compromise is caving into them and their demands
this is ridiculous.

There are Republicans and Democrats tired of the stupid bickering back and forth like children.

And there are folks on both sides trying to be reasonable.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:05 AM

51,657 posts, read 25,882,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
this is ridiculous.

There are Republicans and Democrats tired of the stupid bickering back and forth like children.

And there are folks on both sides trying to be reasonable.
Yes indeed.

Just read this morning that Grassley thinks Mueller's report should be released.

https://twitter.com/ChuckGrassley/st...06805715574784

Old 04-05-2019, 06:07 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,506,438 times
Quote:
The thing is, democrats come right out and say time and time again, they want to fundamentally change the nation.

I associate that with NY. I've seen what fundamental change brings, it's not good.

Expanse of government/bureacracies/departments in exchange for
Higher taxes to pay for more government and its employees + their pensions, their top tier medical (health dental vision) insurance plans.

Abuse of "social safety nets".
What was intended to help the needy/unemployed became enabling them to remain dependent upon those safety nets.

Nothing is "free". When you are working 40-60 hours per week, and you're seeing a third or more of your income taken to taxes you tend to be a bit bothered when you have to tighten your budget so the state can spend like drunken sailors at a brothel...

If .gov is supposed to "lead" they set a poor example of fiscal responsibility...

Awaits the lack of empathy argument...
To address that is simple.
Everyone's needs are unique. And they differ person to person, family to family.
If the goal is to create or enable a thriving middle class... why tax them out the wazoo? Rather than enable poor life choices, rather than embrace a race to the bottom with making everyone equally poor that earns less than 6 figures... wouldn't the goal be to take as little as possible from those that work? So that they may provide for themselves and others?

Rather than fleece businesses in taxation, wouldn't you rather they provide sustainable wages rather than medial wages with taxes galore to go towards wealth redistribution programs?
That's what Trump's tax cuts provided me and my employees. I see everything in terms of an investment. What used to go to taxes, went to my employees in raises and to hire on more.

I would rather invest in my employees and lend credibility to what I believe in rather than horde it and lend credibility to the concept of "business is greedy keeps all the money, vote Democrat we will tax them and provide you through good feelz programs the difference".

Then there's the erosion of civil liberties...

Things are often one sided by democrats. They can't comprehend America as a whole is a diverse country...
They see America as cities and suburbs and one size fits all problematic solutions as the end all be all.
They gladly write off rural residents and communities. Often spinning it as troglodytes stuck in the 50s. Methbillies, racists this that and the other...

Hence why I am a true conservative. I want to conserve and prevent NY 2.0 from happening. Corruption out of control state spending the works.

I would rather everyone be successful in their ventures, apply themselves take advantage of the opportunities they have or shed the skin of complacency and be innovative and creative. Rather than strong armed by state enforced extortion.

I'd rather see everyone be able to exercise their rights than be persecuted or scrutinized for them.

The problem with democrats is mostly being compelled by feelings and not by logic or common sense. If it feels good then so it shall be. Followed by patting themselves on the back and pushing for more government as the end all be all.

Take education for example.

Pay attention.
They want more funding for education constantly.
However. That money never goes to the educators. It goes to the administration. Or sports arenas aka new football field new baseball field etc etc.

Look at the curriculum being taught...

The premise when I was in highschool was to "prepare us for the future" to be engineers etc.
Yet... you ask most of my generation to make change without a calculator. Uhhh... ummm....

Yeah. That's who I want engineering cars roads buildings etc. Can't even do basic addition/subtraction in their head... and they're going to design something load bearing or transport people daily? LOL pass... no thanks...

Old 04-05-2019, 06:21 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,465,927 times
The only way for us to come together is to stop vilifying the other side. I don’t see that happening.

Most people aren’t evil nor stupid, they just have different philosophies and beliefs on what is right and good. If we could learn to discuss things without needing to insult the other side then we could be a less split nation. But I don’t see that happening.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
The thing is, democrats come right out and say time and time again, they want to fundamentally change the nation.

I associate that with NY. I've seen what fundamental change brings, it's not good.

Expanse of government/bureacracies/departments in exchange for
Higher taxes to pay for more government and its employees + their pensions, their top tier medical (health dental vision) insurance plans.

Abuse of "social safety nets".
What was intended to help the needy/unemployed became enabling them to remain dependent upon those safety nets.

Nothing is "free". When you are working 40-60 hours per week, and you're seeing a third or more of your income taken to taxes you tend to be a bit bothered when you have to tighten your budget so the state can spend like drunken sailors at a brothel...

If .gov is supposed to "lead" they set a poor example of fiscal responsibility...

Awaits the lack of empathy argument...
To address that is simple.
Everyone's needs are unique. And they differ person to person, family to family.
If the goal is to create or enable a thriving middle class... why tax them out the wazoo? Rather than enable poor life choices, rather than embrace a race to the bottom with making everyone equally poor that earns less than 6 figures... wouldn't the goal be to take as little as possible from those that work? So that they may provide for themselves and others?

Rather than fleece businesses in taxation, wouldn't you rather they provide sustainable wages rather than medial wages with taxes galore to go towards wealth redistribution programs?
That's what Trump's tax cuts provided me and my employees. I see everything in terms of an investment. What used to go to taxes, went to my employees in raises and to hire on more.

I would rather invest in my employees and lend credibility to what I believe in rather than horde it and lend credibility to the concept of "business is greedy keeps all the money, vote Democrat we will tax them and provide you through good feelz programs the difference".

Then there's the erosion of civil liberties...

Things are often one sided by democrats. They can't comprehend America as a whole is a diverse country...
They see America as cities and suburbs and one size fits all problematic solutions as the end all be all.
They gladly write off rural residents and communities. Often spinning it as troglodytes stuck in the 50s. Methbillies, racists this that and the other...

Hence why I am a true conservative. I want to conserve and prevent NY 2.0 from happening. Corruption out of control state spending the works.

I would rather everyone be successful in their ventures, apply themselves take advantage of the opportunities they have or shed the skin of complacency and be innovative and creative. Rather than strong armed by state enforced extortion.

I'd rather see everyone be able to exercise their rights than be persecuted or scrutinized for them.

The problem with democrats is mostly being compelled by feelings and not by logic or common sense. If it feels good then so it shall be. Followed by patting themselves on the back and pushing for more government as the end all be all.

Take education for example.

Pay attention.
They want more funding for education constantly.
However. That money never goes to the educators. It goes to the administration. Or sports arenas aka new football field new baseball field etc etc.

Look at the curriculum being taught...

The premise when I was in highschool was to "prepare us for the future" to be engineers etc.
Yet... you ask most of my generation to make change without a calculator. Uhhh... ummm....

Yeah. That's who I want engineering cars roads buildings etc. Can't even do basic addition/subtraction in their head... and they're going to design something load bearing or transport people daily? LOL pass... no thanks...
Sell crazy someplace else, we're stocked up here. I'm a New York expat, and I only left because I wanted a drier sunnier warmer climate. If NY had California weather, I would have stayed

Old 04-05-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
The only way for us to come together is to stop vilifying the other side. I don’t see that happening.

Most people aren’t evil nor stupid, they just have different philosophies and beliefs on what is right and good. If we could learn to discuss things without needing to insult the other side then we could be a less split nation. But I don’t see that happening.
The bad guys never think/know they're the bad guys though.

The Michael Douglas movie Falling Down even touched on that. Through most of the movie, we're rooting for him. Up until the third act when it becomes apparent he's lost it finally. Then when the detective chasing him finally confronts him in the climax, he asks him "I'm the bad guy? How'd that happen? I did everything they told me to"

Old 04-05-2019, 07:40 AM

24,543 posts, read 17,291,517 times
Quote:

Really? Is that how you have interpreted the last 2 years where the Left has tried everything they can to take down Trump and much of it to the detriment of the country?

Whatever happened to Obama telling us how important the peaceful transfer of power was for our country? Or did he only say that because he thought Hillary was a shoe in and Trump would be the one to complain?

In my experience it is those that identify as Democrats that refuse to listen and talk. I have seen this from friends, family and here on CD. I like Trump, I don't love Trump but that is not good enough because they demand that I hate him. There is no middle ground when talking politics with a Democrat.

If a Democrat should win in 2020 I doubt that we will see the end of their frustrations. Republicans will get over a loss but the Dems might not be able to get over a win. They are certainly sore losers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies