Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider healthcare as a right for every citizen a far left position?
Yes, this is far left and extremism 114 42.07%
No, healthcare should be a right, not a privilege 157 57.93%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:26 PM

30,773 posts, read 18,515,875 times

Advertisements

Yes, at least as its discussed in modern day political discourse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,577,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I gotta ask if the day ever comes you are overwhelmed with medical bills how will you handle it?
He won't have to because as a Unionized member working for the BNSF his benefits are fully paid for by Warren Buffet. He talks the talk but does not have to walk the walk due to being a member of a "collective" bargaining unit that sees to it he is the beneficiary of a Cadillac medical insurance plan. He does nothing more to look after himself than paying his monthly union dues.

There's a word to describe his position regarding YOUR and others benefits.

What? You actually believed this one pays individually for his benefits package?

Old 04-10-2019, 08:25 PM

623 posts, read 235,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Just not the citizens who will be made poorer to take care of someone elses lifetime of bad habits, faulty genetics etc.
And as a self proclaimed GOP'er of course you think its a right because there is very little real difference between either party. Sorry, but did you think such a statement gives you credibility?
I agree there is very little difference in the parties but I am not a republican,if there was a legitimate decent party that was more populist I would vote for them. There isn't and democrats are not a legit choice for me to vote for. People are paying for others bad habits and faulty genetics already when people can't pay their medical bills etc. We pay for people's dumb choices in choosing a major in college again something that should NOT cost money which is college but there has to be some way for the government to get rid of idiotic majors like women's studies and goofy stuff like that...a government truly FOR the people BY the people would insure ALL the people had good healthcare and a chance at a good education.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:23 PM

13,636 posts, read 21,464,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
An irrelevant question. The fact that one person cannot afford something does not mean someone else has an obligation to provide it, no matter how much they might need it.

If you disagree, please explain where that obligation comes from. What circumstances resulted in the player legitimately owing that money to the payee.

And any BS George Costanza-esque "People! We're living in a SOCIETY" answer is not a legitimate reason.

First off if you recognize my posts on this forum you know I often criticize leftist policies. However calling taxes as always being "slavery" is a narrow minded view. People in the healthcare field are paid for their service so it isn't slavery, and if you contribute taxes into it you are also allowed to take advantage of the benefits provided who someone else also paid into it, so that isn't slavery also.

There are SOME things best tackled by a group not just by a individual. I don't support private prison, I don't support private police and fire departments, they are best run by government by people's taxes. Now I have no problem with private health care in general, I am not sold on the idea of government ONLY healthcare, but I do support a safety for those that are overwhelmed with a series condition and science and medical technology is capable of curing or helping the situation.

The "I don't want to pay for someone else's health treatment and if you make me it's slavery" can and may come back to bite ya when you yourself are faced with overwhelming medical costs where otherwise you may loose everything .

Old 04-11-2019, 12:56 PM

14,182 posts, read 5,749,643 times
Quote:
However calling taxes as always being "slavery" is a narrow minded view.
No, it is an intellectually honest view based on how taxation works and the definition of slavery. Taxes are a forced claim on the labor of others against their will, backed with threat of violence from the monopoly holder on force/violence. That our "master" allows to move around, seek wages in various industries, locations, etc does not change the forced tithing nature of the relationship. Master puts a claim on some portion of our labor, and backs that claim with ultimate power. If we earn money, Master must get a cut, else the legal system will dole out punishment. That the punishment is no longer tying us to a post and having us flogged, again, does not change the slave-master relationship, it just makes master seem more benevolent and reluctant in their application of force.
Quote:
People in the healthcare field are paid for their service so it isn't slavery
A forcible claim exists on someone's labor. If we force the health care provider to labor for free, the claim is on their labor. If we force taxpayers to compensate them for that which those who used their goods and services did/can not, then the claim is on the taxpayers' labors. One way or the other, someone will be forced, by law and treat of force/violence, to labor on behalf of another, without compensation and against their will.
Quote:
and if you contribute taxes into it you are also allowed to take advantage of the benefits provided who someone else also paid into it, so that isn't slavery also.
Taxes are not a contribution. A contribution is a voluntary act of giving, free from coercion. Taxes are not voluntary in any way whatsoever. Taxes a forced claim on some portion of your labor, backed by threat of force/violence.
Quote:
There are SOME things best tackled by a group not just by a individual. I don't support private prison, I don't support private police and fire departments, they are best run by government by people's taxes. Now I have no problem with private health care in general, I am not sold on the idea of government ONLY healthcare, but I do support a safety for those that are overwhelmed with a series condition and science and medical technology is capable of curing or helping the situation.
Why are police and fire departments "best run" by government? Explain the "why" of that theory, by all means. I am willing to wager dimes to donuts, somewhere in the explanation will be "cannot fund with voluntary donation, people will be free riders on other person's dime."

When you offer up an explanation that is similar to that, I will then ask you to rephrase your assertion in the more intellectually honest way - that there are SOME things you want done that don't enough people willing to contribute to , thus require a forced system of taking that satisfies the funding requirements.
Quote:
The "I don't want to pay for someone else's health treatment and if you make me it's slavery" can and may come back to bite ya when you yourself are faced with overwhelming medical costs where otherwise you may loose everything .
Ah, so if someday I need cotton, I'll appreciate having been forced to pick it for Master. Then all the bromides the house slaves have been selling me will make sense and I too will love my Master.

Gotcha.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:19 PM

13,636 posts, read 21,464,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
No, it is an intellectually honest view based on how taxation works and the definition of slavery. Taxes are a forced claim on the labor of others against their will, backed with threat of violence from the monopoly holder on force/violence. That our "master" allows to move around, seek wages in various industries, locations, etc does not change the forced tithing nature of the relationship. Master puts a claim on some portion of our labor, and backs that claim with ultimate power. If we earn money, Master must get a cut, else the legal system will dole out punishment. That the punishment is no longer tying us to a post and having us flogged, again, does not change the slave-master relationship, it just makes master seem more benevolent and reluctant in their application of force.

A forcible claim exists on someone's labor. If we force the health care provider to labor for free, the claim is on their labor. If we force taxpayers to compensate them for that which those who used their goods and services did/can not, then the claim is on the taxpayers' labors. One way or the other, someone will be forced, by law and treat of force/violence, to labor on behalf of another, without compensation and against their will.

Taxes are not a contribution. A contribution is a voluntary act of giving, free from coercion. Taxes are not voluntary in any way whatsoever. Taxes a forced claim on some portion of your labor, backed by threat of force/violence.

Why are police and fire departments "best run" by government? Explain the "why" of that theory, by all means. I am willing to wager dimes to donuts, somewhere in the explanation will be "cannot fund with voluntary donation, people will be free riders on other person's dime."

When you offer up an explanation that is similar to that, I will then ask you to rephrase your assertion in the more intellectually honest way - that there are SOME things you want done that don't enough people willing to contribute to , thus require a forced system of taking that satisfies the funding requirements.

Ah, so if someday I need cotton, I'll appreciate having been forced to pick it for Master. Then all the bromides the house slaves have been selling me will make sense and I too will love my Master.

Gotcha.
Oh please saying it is akin to forced to pick cotton under a whip is being intellectually dishonest and is more hyperbole.

Taxes are voted on, first by you who votes ( sorry if your guy doesn't win) and can be voted out so it is not coercion and if voted yes it is a contribution that the people have decided for and again sorry if your guy didn't win maybe next time he will and you can have the taxes ended or reduced. And you are free to take it to the Supreme court if you believe taxes voted on by the people are against the constitution and is slavery. Looik I don't support all big government ideas and policy but to say taxes are slavery is hyperbole.

And a perfect example why private prison is not favorable is because more cells filled the more profit made which then leads to more laws being created to make things illegal to make more criminals, leading to more of a police state, and less freedom, I mean if you are a shareholder towards a prison you WANT the cells filled, you WANT more people arrested.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:09 PM

32,909 posts, read 19,601,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Cancer survival rates depend on the stage of the cancer and other variables such as a patients age, there is also a tendency in common cancers to over diagnose in the US, and this may be one of the reasons that the US has a higher rate of cancer diagnosis in the first place.

In terms of the NHS, the Royal Marsden in London was the first hospital dedicated to the study and treatment of cancer hospital in the world and the NHS has some very good hospitals, equipment and dedicated staff, and cancer survival rates continue to improve significantly and encouraging people to undergo regular cancer screening is part of the NHS strategy, which will include an extra £20 billion NHS Spending,

Under the plans, the NHS will create a national network of “one stop shops” for cancer checks to drive up detection rates.

GPs will be told to send all patients with possible cancer symptoms to rapid diagnostic centres, which will normally provide a diagnosis within two weeks – and sometimes on the spot.

The new, “scan first” strategy, means that patients will typically get a diagnosis – or all clear – within three weeks of first seeing their family doctor.

A network of at least 20 “rapid diagnostic centres” will begin work over the next two years, with further centres rolled out across the country with a significant increase in MRI Machines, CT Scanners and more early testing.

over diagnose??? really you are going with that excuse...hmm

Old 04-11-2019, 03:12 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,441,728 times
To paraphrase that old guy on "Bright Eyes" what do the cons say? Then it is.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,264,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Are you saying the US Centers for Disease Control, the British National Health Service and the British medical journal Lancet are all liars?

Why would they lie?

"Cancer Research UK" doesn't run the British National Health Service.

The British National Health Service is run by the British National Health Service.

Apparently, you did not know that.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:42 PM

1,877 posts, read 685,295 times
I think if some posters here had been subject to REAL slavery they wouldn't be so glib about equating that with having to pay some taxes to fund healthcare, they are really not comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies