Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:29 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

Thread is starting to get carried away.

Either cool down a bit with the postings, or I'll shut it down.

I've already had to do some editing, and I don't appreciate having the extra work.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:30 PM

374 posts, read 231,485 times
I am VERY glad to see the amount of posts on this thread from all points. Miu proved to be quite a button pusher. But that was great, because it got everyone open to talk about their views on race and steretypes that we preceive of each other. It was interesting to read how some whites are just tried of people assuming they are racists just because they are white. Interesting to hear about stereotypes we have about each other, and how some of us corrected them. Some posts are very informative and insightful, and some alarming for this day and age. But that proves what we already know, there are lots of ignorant folks. However, I hope those folks learn something for this thread, and leave with a new view on race.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:34 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
Mm. There were other places where I was discriminated because I was a yankee. However, that was the only one that was close to physical.

And, besides. Are you honestly going to say telling a 15 year old that you are going to kick their "yankee" ass is the mature thing to do? For crying out loud, they cursed when they were talking to me! They obviously did not want to beat me up because of my language.
You probably see things differently if you're 15...but yes, some folks DO get very upset at this type of behavior in front of kids...that's just a fact. You didn't mention that THEY had cursed, too. But you ALSO didn't mention you were 15. So it COULD be a combination of your AGE, your cursing...and your "Yankeehood". I know it's hard to imagine, but the idea of a "cursing 15-year old" once DID elicit STRONG negative feelings among MANY adults, and yes, a foul-mouthed 'kid' was once seen as 'just asking' to be 'put in his place'. At age 15, you may not be aware of this, but take my word for it....it was once a combination almost GUARANTEED to get you lots of "flak".

It's my guess that in the area you were in, they're STILL not into "cursing kids". They'll learn, soon enough, I suppose.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
I am certain that it does and I would not feel great about it either. It is very sad to know that whites have blood on their hands all over this world, yet they are the ones that will quickly speak ill of other races and their crimes. Blacks do kill each other and yes their blood is on their hands for the crimes they have committed against their own, but whites have went throughout the world historically shedding blood against every other race and culture, including their own.
I have respected most of your posts and I have never disrespected you, but you just disrespected me in a sickening way. There is no blood on my hands, I do everything in power to make this world a better place for all races. I have never committed a racist act, I treat all with respect and one of my greatest heroes in this world is a black woman.

There are a couple posters here who I know are black and whose opinion I will look for in future threads, but I am done with this thread as I am being held responsible for people of no more a relation to me than to the blacks here. Thanks for that! Thank god I'm not a racist who will hold you as an example of black people's attitude.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:50 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
The last post of Acupunks to Heaveno brings up an important point on both counts. Growing up in a predominantly Mexican / American Indian family and through a lot of reading on the subject matter, I came to realize at a very early age that most of my ancestors were responsible for a lot of pain. But, I do not and never have felt directly responsible for the pain and anguish they caused or feel that the blood they spilled is on my hands, it is on their hands. I live my life as honestly as I can and treat everyone the same as I would want to be treated. I can tell you this though, I have had more hurt put upon me by my white brethren than by any other race, if that says something.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:54 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
I have respected most of your posts and I have never disrespected you, but you just disrespected me in a sickening way. There is no blood on my hands, I do everything in power to make this world a better place for all races. I have never committed a racist act, I treat all with respect and one of my greatest heroes in this world is a black woman.

There are a couple posters here who I know are black and whose opinion I will look for in future threads, but I am done with this thread as I am being held responsible for people of no more a relation to me than to the blacks here. Thanks for that! Thank god I'm not a racist who will hold you as an example of black people.
I am speaking of what has happened historically-please do not take this personally as in your personal hands or against the entire white races hands, but as I mentioned no other race has killed more people in this world. No one else has had the power or weaponry to do this, other than who??

I think we all have become a bit sensitive while reading and posting in this tread, but please keep your mind opened to knowing that one comment that does not feel quite right to you is not one that should condemn the whole person-remember we are not perfect people-always a work in progress, but constantly learning and growing. This happens to be one of the major problems between blacks and whites- I can say all the right things or statements that are in your favor, but let me say something that irritates you or sounds threatening to you and now I become insignificant or less than.

The same thing going on with Michelle and Obama and the preacher- although some of the things they mentioned were not on target with me, but I did not condemn their whole existence because of their bad choice of words or statements, or sermons. One bad thing mentioned as a black and you are done for life. Same for white folk who say something as well. What is up with that?? SPEAK only the good things about folk and say all the mushy feel good things ALL THE TIME?? NOT going to happen!!

Now those who choose to just go on and on with their hate filled statements back to back, over and over again, not showing a shred of empathy or compassion are the ones that just refuse to listen or learn-at least this is my take on it.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:59 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
Hmmm...doesn't like basketball, but loves tennis?
Now, now...

I'm not crazy about basketball, but I LOVE TENNIS!!!

I play as well and am a big fan of both the men & women, but Serena is my favorite because of her intensity

LOL Just figured i'd break up the mood somewhat...

Old 04-14-2008, 10:00 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
I am speaking of what has happened historically-please do not take this personally as in your personal hands or against the entire white races hands, but as I mentioned no other race has killed more people in this world. No one else has had the power or weaponry to do this, other than who??

I think we all have become a bit sensitive while reading and posting in this tread, but please keep your mind opened to knowing that one comment that does not feel quite right to you is not one that should condemn the whole person-remember we are not perfect people-always a work in progress, but constantly learning and growing. This happens to be one of the major problems between blacks and whites- I can say all the right things or statements that are in your favor, but let me say something that irritates you or sounds threatening to you and now I become insignificant or less than.

The same thing going on with Michelle and Obama and the preacher- although some of the things they mentioned were not on target with me, but I did not condemn their whole existence because of their bad choice of words or statements, or sermons. One bad thing mentioned as a black and you are done for life. Same for white folk who say something as well. What is up with that?? SPEAK only the good things about folk and say all the mushy feel good things ALL THE TIME?? NOT going to happen!!

Now those who choose to just go on and on with their hate filled statements back to back, over and over again, not showing a shred of empathy or compassion are the ones that just refuse to listen or learn-at least this is my take on it.
I'm not writing you off because you are black, that's 100% false. You offended me deeply and have shown yourself to be a true hate filled racist. I do not respect racists of any skin color. BTW there is something called the human race and we are all part of it so if there is blood on my hands we are all bloody even you.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:05 PM

408 posts, read 696,158 times
OK...everyone take a breather!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:13 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Seems like quite a bit of double standards in this thread. Start treating people as individuals and these issues quickly disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies