Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 04:45 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I used to hate Oklahoma until I left. Then I realized the grass ain't any greener.

California would be nice if no one lived there.

Ain't that the truth. CA is beautiful. There's just to many Californians there. Them that aren't invading NV anyway to get away from CA regs and rules but are bringing them all with them. But I digress. I've never been to OK but I have spent a lot of time in WV.

I fit in pretty well. Seems that rural NV and much of WV see eye to eye on things. WV is also a beautiful place. Woods a bit to thick for a N NV boy but I could get used to it. The 3-1 women to men thing was cool as well. I met so many beautiful and intriguing women there it spun my head.

As far as politics goes I was actually rather....diverse. Is it really a red state? Hmmm. Values are conservative but the Unions have left their mark. Holdover from the big coal mines. All in all I really like WV. I could live there. The Winters suck and the humidity killed me in the Summer. I'd have to acclimate. But I didn't find things to awful different attitude wise from N NV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 04:56 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I could certainly live in WV, as I love the beauty of Appalachia. I never much cared for Oklahoma though, too flat and treeless, and no way I could deal with the monster tornadoes.
The most scenic parts of Oklahoma are not near the two biggest metros. Neither are the Interstates. So that explains why people think Oklahoma is so flat and treeless. Driving on I-40 from Oklahoma City west to the Texas panhandle border, I doubt you'll see so much as one butte. East of OKC, you got to drive well into eastern Oklahoma before you start seeing hills on the horizon, like near Henryetta. The really actual hilly and forested part is well to the southeast of there, isolated and where few people need to go.

People in Oklahoma deal with tornadoes by having storm shelters built. Oklahomans didn't start taking seriously the need to have a storm shelter until the famous F-5 tornado in Moore happened on May 3, 1999, which killed 36 people and injured 583. There has been some worrisome times, due to tornado warnings, but thankfully after 15 years of having a storm shelter, I have yet to panic, go in there and lock the steel door in 3 places, because I feared a tornado was about to come.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:04 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Driving on I-40 from Oklahoma City west to the Texas panhandle border, I doubt you'll see so much as one butte.
Not true. Most of that stretch is rolling hills. It's just wide open and people think it is flat. From the Calumet exit to Elk City it's hill after hill.
But the rest of your post is spot on.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:12 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
I'm wearing flock-lined gloves as I type this.
https://www.amazon.com/Microflex-DFK...31682208&psc=1

That's all the flocking I need or want.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:53 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
Give me West Virginia or Oklahoma any day of the week over any big city "environment."

Old 04-20-2019, 07:09 PM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Here - we can dispense with guesses.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4aFUH9UYAAQyc2.jpg

Growth seems to be concentrated mostly where one would think.
I see nothing in your link mention anything about states that Californians are moving to

Here is a better link
https://www.tsishipping.com/blog/mov...call-home-2018

Old 04-20-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Give me West Virginia or Oklahoma any day of the week over any big city "environment."
Have you ever been to Oklahoma City or Tulsa? However, all the cities in West Virginia are under 50,000 in population, so maybe that is more like the state you have in mind.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:44 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post

Oh hell yea! I like WV a lot. Never been to OK. I spent most of my time in WV around Morgantown, Clarksburg. Those were the biggest towns around there anyway. I went on motorcycle rides all over. So many little places to stop with a population of 6. LOL, I loved it.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 PM

Here is a young lady's first impressions of Oklahoma City after recently moving there. In 2018, the Oklahoma City metro area grew from 1,383,249 to 1,396,445 adding 13,196 persons. That may sound tepid, but growth it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4eavnrrCI

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-20-2019 at 10:03 PM..

Old 04-21-2019, 06:16 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
The most scenic parts of Oklahoma are not near the two biggest metros. Neither are the Interstates. So that explains why people think Oklahoma is so flat and treeless. Driving on I-40 from Oklahoma City west to the Texas panhandle border, I doubt you'll see so much as one butte. East of OKC, you got to drive well into eastern Oklahoma before you start seeing hills on the horizon, like near Henryetta. The really actual hilly and forested part is well to the southeast of there, isolated and where few people need to go.
Not only is Eastern Oklahoma not flat, but there are probably more lakes there than pretty much anywhere other than Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Quote:
People in Oklahoma deal with tornadoes by having storm shelters built. Oklahomans didn't start taking seriously the need to have a storm shelter until the famous F-5 tornado in Moore happened on May 3, 1999, which killed 36 people and injured 583. There has been some worrisome times, due to tornado warnings, but thankfully after 15 years of having a storm shelter, I have yet to panic, go in there and lock the steel door in 3 places, because I feared a tornado was about to come.
Yeah, a lot of people had storm shelters installed after the May-Third tornado, and I think FEMA was offering a tax-credit for people getting them. For new houses, most people have a storm shelter built under their garage, or they have a reinforced safe-room installed in the middle of their house(which has other benefits).

As long as you have insurance, tornadoes aren't really a concern. The odds that a tornado will hit a particular spot of ground, is probably like once every 10,000 years(unless you're in Moore, god hates Moore).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies