Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 04:22 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Quite simply, not even conservatives want to live in a red state.

Fun fact: Trump does NOT own one single real estate property in a red area.

Bingo
I wouldn't be caught dead in those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 04:30 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I could certainly live in WV, as I love the beauty of Appalachia. I never much cared for Oklahoma though, too flat and treeless, and no way I could deal with the monster tornadoes.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:30 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Often times we have people who simply make things up and then we get pages of people arguing that false assessment.

WV isn't one of the "reddest" states. We elected Manchin and a (D) governor (he then changed parties and isn't very popular in that party right now either).

WV doesn't play politics like some other states do (very partisan). WV elected all (D)'s for decades when the (D)'s were supporting the working people. When they decided that Wall Street was more important it began to be mixed. With Hillary being a complete sell out to Wall Street, like others WV went with the unknown. Remember, Sanders beat Hillary in WV.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:22 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:

The libs are flooding "red" states like TN,NC, MT, WY, AZ, TX. The libs have already over-run and ruined CO- it used to be a nice state. FL is like NJ and NY South- try to find an actual Floridian anywhere but the panhandle anymore. I remember when people in FL actually had southern accents.

Libs move away from "unpleasant" areas. The thing they do not realize is that they are what makes those areas undesirable. You can never run away from you.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:24 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Good question. I live in Oklahoma and I'm currently getting very close to just quitting my job and packing what I can into my car and getting out. Life is too short to spend it in a place this miserable. The economy isn't bad right now nationally so I'm thinking about doing this while I can.
Do this yesterday. Find a job tho first. CO might be to your liking.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:37 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Trump has managed to turn around America in two short years, so excuses that Democrats used to run those states aren't going to cut it. But everyone knows that the redder the state, the better the state, and WV and OK are amongst the reddest of the red. So why aren't they booming off the charts like they should be?
For the same reason people are fleeing Illinois and Connecticut - they suck. People want to move where the living is good, such as Montana or Idaho, which are very red last time I checked.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:41 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
1) The reason people flock anywhere, is money.

2) There really isn't such a thing as a red-state or a blue-state. Chicago is one of the "bluest" cities in the country, but once you leave Chicago, the rest of Illinois is nearly-completely "red".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_U...on_in_Illinois

And likewise in the case of Austin, Texas, which is one of the most-liberal cities in the whole country, and is in an ostensibly "red-state".

3) It is the classic chicken or egg scenario. Red-states aren't poor because they're red. They're red because the industries the state depends sees greater benefit from the policies pushed by the Republican Party. A perfect example of that is West Virginia, whose economy depends heavily on the sale of energy(coal obviously but also natural-gas among other things).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econom...irginia#Energy

The same pattern exists in blue-states as well. The New York City economy depends heavily on the financial-sector(IE Wall-Street). Washington D.C.'s economy is 100% taxes from the rest of the country plus lobbyists. Boston's economy is heavily-dependent on the five major universities in the area. Many healthcare providers and insurance companies are based in the Northeast. San Francisco depends on technology and an increasingly-larger alternative-energy sector. And Los Angeles depends on Hollywood, tourism, and foreign investment in real-estate.

4) If politics are almost-entirely about economics and industry, a state like Oklahoma wouldn't suddenly become richer or better-off if it voted blue. In fact, the democratic policies would significantly hurt the Oklahoma and West Virginian economies.

I was arguing with my cousin one time because he is a teacher here in Oklahoma, and he wants the state to vastly-expand its education-budget. But why would doubling the education-budget benefit Oklahoma? Its industries overwhelmingly don't require pretty much any education at all, and we're not going to become a financial or technological powerhouse, because not only are those industries already-established elsewhere, but the Federal government has been subsidizing those industries in those places since at least WWII, and from an efficiency point-of-view, keeping technology centralized in San Francisco makes a lot more sense than trying to artificially spread it out to Kansas, Wyoming, Oklahoma, etc.

Other than healthcare, meteorology, chemical-engineering, and geology, there are pretty much no jobs in the state that require a specialized-education. How would it benefit the state of Oklahoma to spend huge amounts of money educating people for jobs that only exist in California, Texas, or New York. We would basically be handing those states our money.

I've lived all over the country. I prefer Oklahoma. But my sister and her husband work for the Federal Government making huge amounts of money. She was working in Boulder with an aerospace-contractor, which was basically designing our "spy-satellites". And now she lives in Washington D.C. and her husband is somehow associated with the NSA, hacking/decrypting transmissions and other data. Between them they make like $300k+ a year. They want nothing to do with Oklahoma, because nothing like that exists here.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 04-19-2019 at 06:19 AM..

Old 04-19-2019, 06:09 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but according to U.S. News these are the 10 fastest growing states in 2018. You might as well stop making things up.

Nevada
Idaho
Utah
Arizona
Washington
Colorado
Texas
South Carolina
North Carolina
Florida

Please notice only 2 or 3 of those states are solidly blue. 4-5 are solidly red while the rest are purple. Your thread is a total failure.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-2018?slide=11
How is my thread a total failure? I see posts all of the time where posters take a low performing blue state or city, compare it to a high performing red state, with the implication that red is better than blue. It doesn't mean that blue is necessarily better, but that which states are high performing isn't well correlated with political ideology.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:17 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I wouldn't want to live in West Virginia. That state is in really bad shape. Oklahoma, I could do given I'm paid enough, but I would be making trips to Texas or Colorado frequently.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:

Yep. Even in Florida, his properties are in blue counties (Miami-Dade, Broward and West Palm).

No one wants to live in WV or OK, because they are the armpits of America.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-19-2019 at 06:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies