Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:31 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
And there we go with the Hitler reference. You guys are getting way too predicable.
And your deflections are getting tiresome.

Quote:
Yup. When I lived in a city apartment, I always had my cart with me in the trunk of the car.
Ah, but the SNAP recipients - those people who, according to you, shouldn't pay for grocery delivery with their own money because money is "fungible" would have to buy a cart. Isn't that money fungible, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If charitable giving was enough to support the poor, we would not have the programs Trump is forcing us to pay for.
This. There's a reason the safety net exists. Charity doesn't begin to cover the need, and never has.

Quote:
If the well-off can cart their groceries (and laundry), why can't the poor people whom we are already subsidizing?
They'd have to purchase a cart. Is that OK with you? Because, you know, money is "fungible".

Should they get your approval before buying bus tokens, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I'm sorry but if you are already getting something free that is paid for by the taxpayers, then you can at least make a little effort on your part to go get the groceries.

And before some posts about the old and disabled, I know those people already have organizations, and in many cities, the government to help with that. The rest of the abled bodied free loaders need to get off their behinds and go get the groceries themselves.
*sigh* Someone else who didn't read the article.

And what programs exist to deliver groceries to elderly and disabled people? Not Meals on Wheels, but actual groceries.

A for the "able bodied free loaders", the majority of people receiving SNAP benefits, who aren't elderly or disabled, work.

Quote:
News flash: Poor people to whom we provide substantial financial assistance are not ENTITLED to spend money however they want. A good portion of that money is ours, and money (and its equivalents, like food stamps) is fungible.
And how are you entitled to tell people how to spend their own money? Talk about arrogance.

Quote:
And again.....it isn't $5 of their own money. That's coming out of their food stamp money that we provide.
The delivery cost can't be paid with SNAP benefit money. But you already know that and are just being obtuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 08:33 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
They pay sales tax, though, which goes toward these things. I don't know that federal taxes go toward paving city streets; I'd think that's more local taxes like sales tax.

But clearly Trump should be abolishing all taxes. You should get on that straightaway! Write your local Congressperson (who is paid for with your taxes) and let them know.
Again, for those who are are on the slow side... Either charge ALL income earners federal income tax or charge none of them federal income tax. Constitution's Equal Protection Clause.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:35 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Of course I benefit from taxpayer programs - like police, roads, etc. - but then, I contribute toward them.

I don't have to submit invoices for approval because....I SUPPORT MYSELF. If you willingly take taxpayer money for food, cash, medical care, utilities, housing, etc., then you aren't entitled to whatever you want to spend money on.

The problem is, like so many liberals, you don't distinguish between people who are supported by others, and the people who are supporting them - and how that difference determines whether you should get free choice in buying whatever you want.

Another example: When my cousin and I were 12 and 13, my aunt (who worked during the day), gave us money to take the bus to a movie she had approved. But....we took that money and instead walked a few blocks to the TSS, and bought EYE MAKE-UP! When she found out about it, we were both punished. She rightly explained that she had given us the money to see the movie, and not buy make-up. Her money.....her choice.

Same thing. If we are giving money to poor people, we have every right to complain if they take a taxi when a bus is available, or spend $1000 on a TV and then complain we're not giving her enough money to feed her kids.
SNAP recipients overwhelmingly also contribute toward the programs. You can benefit from the same safety net if you find yourself in the position to need help.

It's like if you have a house fire. Everyone pays a little bit to pay the fire department. If your house is burning down, your neighbor doesn't say, "what the heck?? Why should MY tax dollars go toward putting out the fire at YOUR house? Submit your invoices to me from this point forward so I can decide whether you should be allowed to make the choices you're making, now that my tax dollars that we all pay into this safety net have helped you and not me."

Old 04-20-2019, 08:36 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Except they DO. Either charge ALL income earners federal income tax or charge none of them federal income tax. Constitution's Equal Protection Clause.

Are you saying you are unhappy with Trump's $12000 per person standard deduction?

Old 04-20-2019, 08:46 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I remember my grandparents getting "surplus food" back in the 1950s. Now mind you, my memories of this are very dim, but I remember the sacks of flour. However, the current SNAP program is probably more efficient and less costly. Someone would have to be paid to put up those boxes and distribute them.
And they would have to make up thousands of different boxes, i.e. diabetic, gluten free, low fat, food allergies, easy to chew/digest, no dairy, religious and cultural preferences, i.e. Muslim, Jewish, fish on Friday Catholics, etc. And how do homeless SNAP beneficiaries get their packages and where do they store them. What about people living in weekly rentals or SRO's that only have a microwave? How are they going to cook dry beans and rice? This idea is just a way to satisfy conservative bloodlust for poor shaming/poor blaming

Old 04-20-2019, 08:49 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Except they DO. Either charge ALL income earners federal income tax or charge none of them federal income tax. Constitution's Equal Protection Clause.
That is completely off topic, maybe you should start a new thread?

Old 04-20-2019, 08:52 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And they would have to make up thousands of different boxes, i.e. diabetic, gluten free, low fat, food allergies, easy to chew/digest, no dairy, religious and cultural preferences, i.e. Muslim, Jewish, fish on Friday Catholics, etc. And how do homeless SNAP beneficiaries get their packages and where do they store them. What about people living in weekly rentals or SRO's that only have a microwave? How are they going to cook dry beans and rice? This idea is just a way to satisfy conservative bloodlust for poor shaming/poor blaming
Yep.

People like to believe that they could never be in XYZ situation, so they look for reasons that someone else is to blame. It's a self-preservation method. Then if they do end up in that exact same situation, they'll say "well that's different. I really needed it." I have seen this happen over and over again with conservative people in my circle. It's the corollary to "I've got mine and it's because I'm so responsible/hardworking/Godly." It's "I haven't got mine but it's not my fault." Very typical.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:54 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
SNAP recipients overwhelmingly also contribute toward the programs.
How so? Take a look at which income groups have a zero or negative effective federal income tax rate in the chart on page 10. The column you're looking for is light blue, Average Individual Income Tax Rate. The baseline is 0% and the light blue columns are graphed from below 0% to greater than 0%.

Page 10: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R45145.pdf

On average, every household earning $50,000 or less is NOT contributing to the federal public assistance programs like Food Stamps, etc.

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And what programs exist to deliver groceries to elderly and disabled people? Not Meals on Wheels, but actual groceries.
There are a few programs around. A friend of mine does this: Grocery Ordering/Delivery programs Boulder County, Colorado

However, as you said, charity can never totally take care of needs.

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And your deflections are getting tiresome.

Ah, but the SNAP recipients - those people who, according to you, shouldn't pay for grocery delivery with their own money because money is "fungible" would have to buy a cart. Isn't that money fungible, too?

This. There's a reason the safety net exists. Charity doesn't begin to cover the need, and never has.

They'd have to purchase a cart. Is that OK with you? Because, you know, money is "fungible".

Should they get your approval before buying bus tokens, too?

*sigh* Someone else who didn't read the article.

A for the "able bodied free loaders", the majority of people receiving SNAP benefits, who aren't elderly or disabled, work.

And how are you entitled to tell people how to spend their own money? Talk about arrogance.

The delivery cost can't be paid with SNAP benefit money. But you already know that and are just being obtuse.
Until you realize that the money we give to welfare recipients via various charitable programs is not their money, there's no use in discussing this with you further. They should be appreciative of all the help, wouldn't you agree?

Talk about entitlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies