Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 12:09 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
San Diego has 6 waiting lists open.
San Diego County, California
Housing Authority of the County of San Diegerot is a public housing agency in San Diego, California that participates in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, Public Housing, Veteran Affairs Supportive Housing, Section 8 Project-Based Voucher, Moderate Rehabilitation, and Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) programs. As of April 23rd, 2019, Housing Authority of the County of San Diego has 6 waiting lists that are open now or opening soon.

My county, Tulare, has 3 waiting lists open. I only checked lists open in California, but there appear to be quite a few openings throughout the state. As to how soon you get housing after you get on the list, I have no idea.
Janellen, the fact that a waiting list is open does not mean that there isn't a wait of several years to get a voucher. Last year the Sacramento waiting list opened 43,000 people applied, they determined that was too many to put on the list so they drew 7,000 names. It's not expected that the list will open again for 6 or 7 years. I have a friend who lives in Vacaville, he's disabled and raising his son alone. He gets a small disability check and works part time. He signed up for the list in 2012, he is still renting a garage for himself and his son and waiting for a voucher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
yeah that's so cool! I bet if you do all that stuff in those links you can get a section 8 voucher next month what awesome advice!

Old 04-23-2019, 12:34 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Then step up to the plate and give us a list of section 8 wait lists for other places in the Country, I'm honestly interested in finding out.
Here's one state you can add to your list.

In CT the section 8 housing list is closed since July 2014. IOW, a person can not even get on the waiting list.

https://portal.ct.gov/DOH/DOH/Additi...-and-Section-8

As of July 1, 2014, more than 1,410 remained on the HCV waiting list and nearly 1,410 remained on the RAP waiting list. DOH does not anticipate opening the waiting list to accept applications for either program at this time, however you can register on the Housing Choice Voucher Program website to receive an email notification when any CT housing authority advertises the opening of their waiting list to accept new HCV applications.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:44 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,366,263 times
For years illegal immigrant advocates have said illegals don't get this sort of benefit. So there surely can not be very many for Mr Carson to kick out.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:30 AM

Here's some data on LA section 8 vouchers:

Quote:
In October, Los Angeles opened its Section 8 housing voucher waiting list for the first time in 13 years and began taking applications for a lottery to get a spot on it.

...Stacker was one of 188,000 people who applied for 20,000 spots in the voucher waiting line for the Housing Authority of the city of Los Angeles. And that line won’t be moving quickly. The Housing Authority’s Section 8 director, Carlos VanNatter, said only about 200 vouchers become available here every month, basically when a pay raise makes someone ineligible or someone dies.

“And even at that list of 20,000 — way less the number of people who applied — it will take us up to 10 years to get through that list,” VanNatter said.

Even with a voucher, there’s no guarantee you’ll find a landlord who will take it. Recipients have just six months to sign a lease or lose their voucher altogether. In LA, only 60 percent are successful. https://www.marketplace.org/2018/01/...sing-us-cities

Old 04-23-2019, 08:51 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
they are actually pretty strict about who occupies section 8 housing. You can't just start moving people in or you lose your voucher. You can request that they be added as a member of the household but most of those requests are not approved. Section 8 Rules for Visitors and Unauthorized Guests | Section 8 Facts

In the past an illegal alien could be listed on an application for housing as long as there was one eligible citizen applying but their income would be counted toward the rent obligation. It appears that they are removing the rule that allows that. I don't particularly care except that I think it's mean to make changes like this retroactive and to kick people out with no notice. You could accomplish the same purpose by just applying a citizen only requirement to future applications. But Stephen Miller dreamed this up and he seems to be the male version of Cruella de Vil, he even looks the part when he spray paints his bald head to make it look like he has hair
Yes, they should get either a 30-day or 60-day notice to vacate, but they absolutely should be kicked out because they never should have been allowed in there to begin with. And, yes, there are communities where the number of Section 8 homes with one or more undocumented (illegal) immigrants residing in it, with one American citizen, is not small.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:42 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
San Diego has 6 waiting lists open.
San Diego County, California
Housing Authority of the County of San Diegerot is a public housing agency in San Diego, California that participates in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, Public Housing, Veteran Affairs Supportive Housing, Section 8 Project-Based Voucher, Moderate Rehabilitation, and Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) programs. As of April 23rd, 2019, Housing Authority of the County of San Diego has 6 waiting lists that are open now or opening soon.

My county, Tulare, has 3 waiting lists open. I only checked lists open in California, but there appear to be quite a few openings throughout the state. As to how soon you get housing after you get on the list, I have no idea.
Check the sites with the open lists...For instance the Housing Authority of San Diego...

Your name is selected from the waiting list according to the date and time of your application. Because of limited federal funding, you may wait 10 or more years before your name is selected from the waiting list.

I would also note that list applies only to rural SD. The cities are all excluded. So a shot at 1% of the housing after more than 10 years.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:45 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
They should have never been allowed in HUD housing nor should they receive any type of benefit at all. One can't blame them really, as they can't resist the pull factors of free things. It's the Democrats and their shameless pandering to future Democrats that are to blame.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:48 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
I have a friend who lives in a huge apt complex in north Seattle that has to be about 95 percent Hispanics with huge families. I can only wonder how many have illegal family members living amongst them. All through out Seattle..north and south...there are tons of huge low income subsidized apt complexes with majority Hispanic residents. Yet Seattle has the 3rd highest homeless population in the USA. Its is fact that these illegal families are prioritized over American citizens when it comes to subsidized housing in Seattle. While American citizens have to wait for years...to get a section 8 voucher or get into subsidized housing in Seattle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That is nonsense. The waiting lists for Section 8 is past a decade. And all on the list are legal...no one who is not can get on the waiting list.
are you seriously insisting that illegal immigrants don't live in section 8 households? benito doesn't have to get on the list in order for jose to allow him to live in the house.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:59 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Poor conservative snowflakes and their obsession with the big bad illegals. They'll kick them out of Section 8 housing to do what exactly? What then? Let me guess; Republicans have no plan whatsoever. Because they aren't the planning type. Already the holding cells are overflowing with illegal immigrants waiting for hearings and deportation so there's no room at that inn. So what's the plan OP? Besides feeling smug about Ben Carson's fabulous idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies