Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 12:42 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

Sander's point was where does it stop? With Muslims? With Italians? With the Japanese? With white supremacists? With Trans Genders? With Latino's?
That's because Bernie Sanders like to pander. And it's a logical fallacy.

Get convicted of a felony, then lose the right to vote. That's part of the punishment? There's nothing to hard to understand about that.

Don't want that to happen? Then don't be a criminal.

It's not hard to understand except to loony progressives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 12:48 PM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Well yes, and no.

I heard Bernie's comments on the matter.

He wasn't so much advocating that low life criminals deserve to vote, but that limiting people's rights to vote is a snowball heading down hill.

We already force certain groups to produce ID, or prove they live within the precinct, or are citizens, or other sometimes difficult to prove things for certain groups of people. De facto, these hurdles deprive people of the right to vote.

Sander's point was where does it stop? With Muslims? With Italians? With the Japanese? With white supremacists? With Trans Genders? With Latino's?

Sure, it sounds good when you say "don't let a felon vote". But when you restrict the right to vote, in contradiction of our Constitution, it creates a problem that none of us which to be the victim of.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Felon in prison, no vote. Can't produce proof you are a legal citizen, no vote. Not sure why you could bring up race, religion, and sexual orientation...which wouldn't matter unless they were felons that were incarcerated, or not a legal citizen.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Where does it say that ALL Democrats want prisoners to vote from prison? Let's just stick to the facts.
An inability to distinguish one from few, from some from many from all is evidence of concrete thinking, often times favored by those prone to extreme partisanship.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:55 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The Democrat party continues to move far far left. Out of touch with most of America.

Now they want to allow the Boston bombers, the ones who brought mayhem to an event of 1000s and terrorized a neighborhood, the right to vote from Prison.

Sanders, Harris Say Boston Marathon Bomber Should Be Able To Vote From Prison
When Michael Savage used to say that liberalism is a mental disorder, I used to just laugh a bit, figuring he was only partially serious.

Now I am at the point where there's nothing funny about it, Savage was right, and in a lot of cases it really is a mental disorder. Case in point right here.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:55 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The Democrat party continues to move far far left. Out of touch with most of America.

Now they want to allow the Boston bombers, the ones who brought mayhem to an event of 1000s and terrorized a neighborhood, the right to vote from Prison.

Sanders, Harris Say Boston Marathon Bomber Should Be Able To Vote From Prison
Not just the Boston bomber all American citizens who are prisoners -- but it is worth pointing out this guy would be given the right to vote -- including Terry Nichols that Oklahoma bombing accomplice who wasn't given the death sentence.

I can't imagine why this is a good thing.

But just so we keep the facts in their place. Not all Democrat Presidential candidates support this claim.

In fact most don't right?

AND -- do we know if this is part of that prisoner reform stuff Trump is working with Kardashian on?

Because -- I don't think it is a good idea.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:57 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
The left will do the most unscrupulous things to get a single vote.
The right will do anything to prevent voters from voting. Just showing the hypocrisy, divisiveness and hyperbole of your statement.

Gotta love the voter suppression tactics in North Carolina and Florida that were actually ruled to be targeted at black people.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:59 PM

How many of the Democrat presidental candidates support this policy?

Old 04-23-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
The right will do anything to prevent voters from voting. Just showing the hypocrisy, divisiveness and hyperbole of your statement.

Gotta love the voter suppression tactics in North Carolina and Florida that were actually ruled to be targeted at black people.
Hang on --- whoa wait a minute -- not all Democrats support prisoners having the right to vote.

And when you put it into the context of a Terry Nichols or the Boston bomber -- it does make you think it isn't a great idea for that blanket policy.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
We all should get a vote.

Love, someone who was both at the Boston Marathon bombing and left the Stata Center less than 5 minutes before Sargent Collier (my neighbor) was killed
I appreciate your big heart but not sure I agree with this.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:05 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Well yes, and no.

I heard Bernie's comments on the matter.

He wasn't so much advocating that low life criminals deserve to vote, but that limiting people's rights to vote is a snowball heading down hill.

We already force certain groups to produce ID, or prove they live within the precinct, or are citizens, or other sometimes difficult to prove things for certain groups of people. De facto, these hurdles deprive people of the right to vote.

Sure, it sounds good when you say "don't let a felon vote". But when you restrict the right to vote, in contradiction of our Constitution, it creates a problem that none of us which to be the victim of.
First, why is voter ID a bad thing? It proves who you are. I've been asked for ID when using a credit card, going to the bank and purchasing a gun.

Which groups are you referring to? Are you saying that some groups of people can't figure the ID issue out?

Proving your address is critical for local voting. Plus that is how almost every precinct is configured. But I'll give you this one. Now that voter ID and and electronic confirmation of who you are get more popular, go vote at any polling place in a statewide or national election and it should count.

If you are not a citizen then you don't vote. If I move to another country I would not expect to vote until I met all of the legal requirements. The law shouldn't change to me, I should meet the requirements of the law.

Voting doesn't ask your religion, your ancestry, your beliefs or which public restroom you use. It does ask you to prove who you are and most of the time, that will also prove you are a citizen.

I want every citizen walking free to have a vote. I don't care what you did in the past. If society said you did your time, then all of your rights should be returned to you. On the other hand, if society can't trust you then you should not be free to roam among the rest of the population. While incarcerated, certain rights are put on hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies