Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 08:15 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Denial and deflection of course.
Who denied he said that?

Pointing out it was an offhand comment from 10 years ago shows that you posting it was the deflection.

Of course.
Quote:
This has been ongoing, remember what I posted earlier? You do know about the AME denomination? Of course, since I've been retired for going on 5 years my observations are too far in the past.

My favorite was actually "why do Catholics deny Christ?". That and the kid my first year who asked me why Niger was misspelled on the map.

So, tell us all about Wright preaching violence and murder against anyone.

Then you'd have a slight equivalence.

But you can't, because he didn't engage in that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 08:15 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
He has severe mental health problems.
He is on the deans list at college, but clearly his mental illness has slipped by too many people because
his academic achievements are high.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:24 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In many cases church. Some of them more or less mainstream. The ones I heard it most from while teaching were Baptists, AME and Pentacostalists.

I highly doubt you've heard anti-semitic rhetoric from a large amount of AME parishioners or pastors/clergy.

My maternal line are AME and have been for over 150 years and I've been to many a church services and meetings and never heard any AME pastor say anything negative about Jews.

Maybe you live in a more extremist area but I've visited AME organizations all over the country.

Of all the Christian denominations and parishoners I've known AME, Lutherans, Jesuits, Espicopalians, and Unitarians, I've never heard have any sort of anti-semitic rhetoric amongs members I know. Evangelical pentacostals IMO are the worse and Baptists, but it depends on the type of Baptist.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:27 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,339,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
https://forward.com/fast-forward/423...inks-jews-are/

I really would like to know where these ideas come from that this young terrorist has. I don't come across anybody talking like this. Who are these people?
I didn't read the link, but it's pretty easy to figure out. Most of these mass-shooters are losers, looking for a boogeyman to blame the fact that they're a loser on.

We have become a nation of victims. Some of these so-called 'victims' go so far as to take violent action against those they feel have victimized them.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:27 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
One big blame shifting discussion. Who taught him? Who made him like this? Blah blah blah.

Evil nutbag did evil nutbag stuff. Period. End of story.

David Berkowitz blamed the neighbor's dog. Richard Ramirez blamed the song "Night Prowler" by AC/DC. Blah blah blah.

Evil exists and some people are born with busted wires. Period. No need to blame social media, the Internet, FoxNews or MSNBC. Just accept that evil exists and the best you can do is not be its victim.

And seriously - anti-Semitism and violence against Jews isn't some "ZOMG, how new and improved" phenomenon...it goes back like 3,000 years? Pretty sure nutbag idiots were into killing Jews for no apparent reason hell and gone before social media existed.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:30 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
https://forward.com/fast-forward/423...inks-jews-are/

I really would like to know where these ideas come from that this young terrorist has. I don't come across anybody talking like this. Who are these people?

Have you read some of the crazy post on this very forum?
The post here are made by people the age of their Parents and Grandparents.
I see a clear line between the two.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:42 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
He should be allowed to ponder those ideas while the needle is inserted into his arm.
California do-gooders did away with the death penalty.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:23 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
People who think like that are a danger to our society and the world.
The truth hurts.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This type of thinking is not new. It's been around for a very long time. It's not because of some forum on the internet - anyone who is that naive about it should do a little more digging around before spouting that nonsense. Hatred is not because of the internet.

To the OP:

If you want the reality, it's not one that you're going to like. The fact is, old newspapers - the headlines, the stories - have had a lot to do with it. And when I say "old", I mean back to the 1920s, 1930s...even earlier than that.

And if you read news outside of mainstream in the U.S., it raises questions for people.

I don't want to get too deep into this, because I'm not really interested in debating anyone about how some other people think - but I observe people. I don't just sit in an echo chamber like so many do. I want to know why people do what they do, say what they say, or think what they think. That requires that I pay attention to where they get their ideas, and how they interpret them.

I will say - you have to go back that far. It isn't "muh internet". That's a cop out, it's lazy, and it's not the answer to: "Where do people get these ideas from?" Because if you don't actually dig, you get stupid responses like this:

It's already been debunked numerous times. You can listen to people who let the media tell them what to think, OP, or you can dig and research for yourself why those people think how they do, and where they get those ideas from. It isn't from any president. People who say that are clueless and offer nothing of substance to your inquiry.
The reality is that these ideas aren't new, but they are being revitalized on the internet. In real life, someone has a silly theory about things, and the people around that person show how that theory falls apart, why it isn't valid, what's wrong with it, the person will abandon the theory. But when someone has a silly theory on the internet, there are others who will validate that theory, no matter how ridiculous, and by giving that theory some credence, it gains traction.

People make leaps of faith all the time. I think those leaps are about giving ourselves a sense of purpose. For some, it can be about being a better person, about giving back to the community, and for some, it gets twisted. This young man who opened fire in a synagogue, he thought he was being a better person, he thought he was protecting his community. For some of these jihadists, they think what they are doing is protecting their community, their way of life. They see the West as evil. Anti-semites see Judaism as evil. There are many that post on this forum that see Islam as evil. We can sometimes lose sight of the fact that people are people. None of us are perfect. We can find things in common with others, no matter how different those others seem to be. We can create a better world for our children. But that better world does not come by violence and killing and hatred and fear and anger. It comes by embracing the world, by reaching out to others to find those things we have in common, by advancing our knowledge and understanding of others.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:50 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Probably Ilhan Omar:

“Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel."
I can't believe people like her can make it into office. I guess trump has lowered the bar to the point of no bar at all.

I remember when being in an elected office was considered respectable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies