Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

Isn’t “sane” and “killer” an oppositional construct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 02:43 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,236,544 times
I will just say this.
Anyone who is deranged enough to kill innocent kids is not afraid of dying at the time of planning and start. That may change as panic sets in during the act. But it has yet to be a factor in deterring these mass shootings.

We have a death penalty in many states and it seems to have no deterring effect on violent criminals.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Of course it's relevant to the point. You're just speculating. At least I was able to provide a source of information regarding incidents where civilians were successful in preventing criminal acts according to the FBI.
I'm not speculating. You also didn't answer my question so I'll ignore the rest of your post.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:48 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
What sane parent would send their kid(s) to a school with armed teachers ?

That is an accident waiting to happen. Teachers are already under paid and you want to add more responsibility ?
How is it an accident waiting to happen? There are millions of people concealed carrying right now (me included) and nothing is happening. Please explain how a properly holstered weapon is dangerous?

I don't want to force anyone to carry. There are teachers all across the country that are volunteering. Some are paying for their own training. Some firearms instructors will train teachers for free.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:50 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
If a would-be killer had fore-knowledge that a certain school employed armed teachers, he would have the sense to avoid that school because he'd never know which teachers were armed and would shoot him dead.

After all everyone knows that school shooters are afraid to die.

What sane killer would enter a school with armed teachers?

Yeah, that's just insane.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:50 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Isn’t “sane” and “killer” an oppositional construct?
No. Not all killers are insane.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:51 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
I've heard of 'suicide by cop' so maybe this is a twist on that idea

Old 04-29-2019, 02:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
How is it an accident waiting to happen? There are millions of people concealed carrying right now (me included) and nothing is happening. Please explain how a properly holstered weapon is dangerous?

I don't want to force anyone to carry. There are teachers all across the country that are volunteering. Some are paying for their own training. Some firearms instructors will train teachers for free.
Which could not be the case on an official basis. For a school to allow a teacher to carry there would have to be requirements or the law suits would be huge.

If an individual carries on their own, I really do not care.

Are you willing to pay up in higher taxes to train teachers and re certify them yearly?

Old 04-29-2019, 02:55 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
If a would-be killer had fore-knowledge that a certain school employed armed teachers, he would have the sense to avoid that school because he'd never know which teachers were armed and would shoot him dead.

After all everyone knows that school shooters are afraid to die.
Are they though? Many know they are going to die...they are usually killed by the police or kill themselves.
They can't be totally sane or they would not be attempting a mass shooting at a school to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Killers are not sane
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What SANE people enter schools with murder as their intention?
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
And because we all know how many teacher want to be part of their own SWAT teams as well.
This also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Neither can a relative of ours who is a math teacher.

He owns a safe filled with guns. He's at his gun range at least once, sometimes several times a month. He's all about gun rights, and I would bet good money he has a gun on him at all times.

He thinks arming teachers is a dumb idea.

First of all, it makes every teacher an immediate target.

Second, his job is to protect the kids in his classroom not be a one-man SWAT team taking out the shooter.
And can you imagine the repercussions...teachers go into the field because its a calling to teach young people, I can't imagine the emotional trauma of having to live with their gunning down of a student (either with intent to kill a shooter, or
accidentally because they got into the line of fire.) There are trained law enforcement officers who have a hard time dealing with this kind of thing.
They had an armed officer at Parkland. Did that help?
I can also picture students finding the teacher's guns, and some accidental shootings or gun deaths.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:55 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not speculating. You also didn't answer my question so I'll ignore the rest of your post.
You didn't answer any of mine.
I'll just ignore all of your posts. I'll just place you on my ignore list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies