Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 01:53 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,508,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It's about air and water quality, and pollution levels, not how many acres of wilderness there are:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...al-environment

Believe it or not, Rhode Island is ranked first!
and that does not make sense

RI ranked #1 and #1 in air/water quality

yet

its sister states of new England
CT ranked 12th in air and water
NH ranked 18th in Air and water
VT ranked 24th in air and water
MA ranked 35th in air and water
NY ranked 36th in water and air
and
ME(Maine) ranked 50th in air and water

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-water-quality

How is Maine, with all its open clean land ranked so bad(worst) and RI in the middle of INDUSTRIALIZED New England (Surrounded by CT and MA) ranked #1??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 01:56 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
"Best" is in the eye of the beholder. At different times in your life, different things are important to you and your prioritized qualities for "best" will be different. Young single people don't want the same things as 35 year olds with children and neither of the two want the same things as retired people.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:57 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,734,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
The best states? Every state is part of the United States. There can be pros/cons wherever one lives, I don't judge a state by red or blue, to me they are all Red, White and Blue.
I wouldn't count on that lasting. We are now and forever after "us vs. them" which IMO will ultimately lead to the country splitting. I'm just very glad I live in the number one state, a state so beautiful it looks fake but it's not.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:03 PM

20,881 posts, read 9,569,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The exodus from two of the nation’s biggest Blue States continues, according to new numbers from the U.S. Census Bureau. Many Red States, meanwhile, continue to gain population, the figures show.The biggest population losers between July 2017 and July 2018 were the high-tax, Democrat-controlled states of New York and Illinois.
In that one-year span, New York lost more than 48,000 residents, while Illinois’ population declined by more than 45,000, the figures show."
https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-flo...reau-data-show
New York and Illinois aren't in the top 10.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
How is Maine, with all its open clean land ranked so bad(worst) and RI in the middle of INDUSTRIALIZED New England (Surrounded by CT and MA) ranked #1??
There are several pulp mills in Maine that probably create some air and/or water pollution.

Neither Rhode Island, Massachusetts nor Connecticut are very industrialized anymore. It's mostly white collar employment there, and what industries are still there, probably don't pollute much.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:08 PM

10,084 posts, read 14,479,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Here we go again with US News' annual rating of the states.

And as usual, blue states dominate the top 10. Gee I wonder why?

https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/pr...-states-report

The list, color-coded politically:

1. Washington
2. New Hampshire
3. Minnesota

4. Utah
5. Vermont
6. Maryland
7. Virginia
8. Massachusetts

9. Nebraska
10. Colorado

Full ranking is here:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Here are the bottom 10, once again color-coded. Last time I did this some people complained that I was averaging over the past several elections for the red-blue scheme. I'll actually be nice and do it again, because if I didn't, PA would be red and only ONE state at the bottom would be blue.

40. Kentucky
41. Pennsylvania
42. South Carolina
43. Oklahoma
44. Alaska
45. Arkansas

46. New Mexico
47. West Virginia
48. Mississippi
49. Alabama
50. Louisiana
Says the research from a hugely liberal publication. Just sayin'

Old 05-14-2019, 02:10 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,851,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
The best states? Every state is part of the United States. There can be pros/cons wherever one lives, I don't judge a state by red or blue, to me they are all Red, White and Blue.

I know this is an older video, but it is timeless; it is my America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU
Exactly right. Each and every state is America and each and every state has great things about it and not some not so perfect things. I love 'em all, warts included.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:10 PM

10,084 posts, read 14,479,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Washington is full of tent cities.. who wrote this list.. a comedian?
https://www.seattlemag.com/article/t...ess-population
It's a left-leaning publication with left-leaning motivation

Old 05-14-2019, 02:14 PM

7,964 posts, read 9,175,271 times
Another click bait article on best/worst places to live. There are a million of them out there. I see this one didn't include diversity, affordability, public debt, tax rates or rate of homelessness. Seems like it doesn't really measure enough variables to get a true value of each state.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Another click bait article on best/worst places to live. There are a million of them out there. I see this one didn't include diversity, affordability, public debt, tax rates or rate of homelessness. Seems like it doesn't really measure enough variables to get a true value of each state.
This included:

Health Care
Education
Economy
Infrastructure
Opportunity
Fiscal Stability
Crime & Corrections
Natural Environment

I'm not sure why they should include rates of homelessness, other than it would make certain blue states look a little worse, which would please you. I could just as much say they should include rates of hillbilly meth users, just so that it would make red states look a little worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies