Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 05:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
President Trump didn't act like you were incapable of being successful, like O did, time and time again. I always winced when Obama would say, "it's not your fault" and "they didn't succeed by themselves, just got lucky." I would be insulted if I were the demographic he was referring to.

On the other hand, according to President Trump's speeches I've listened to, he expects you to win! He encourages you to think big regardless of your color, ethnicity, etc... Unlike Obama, who made excuses for his people who he constantly claimed were victims of society.
What are you yammering about? “He expects you to win!” He wants WHO to win?

“It’s not your fault.” What’s not whose fault? What are you talking about?

“They didn’t succeed by themselves, they just got lucky!” Who is “they?” Who got lucky?

You’re giving me a headache with these platitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 06:25 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Here we go again. The obsession continues. Apparently another year or more of this.
Indeed. One moment it's "Why do Black people vote Democrat so much?". Another moment is "Blacks should consider voting Republican". Very often, many persons who say that don't give a good reason why. All they talk about is "the Democrats have used you". When that does not work, they talk about things that aren't tangible like "self-sufficiency" or "personal responsibility". Look, I am in favor of self-sufficiency and personal responsibility. I'm in favor of hard work. You tend to get more with those things than without it. I also understand that you can have those things without the Republican Party.

And then when that doesn't work, it becomes "Black people love Trump" or "Blacks are coming around to Trump". When that doesn't work, it has now morphed into "Blacks are ungrateful".

Sounds like several stages of grief. Depression, bargaining, denial, and now anger.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:36 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Indeed. One moment it's "Why do Black people vote Democrat so much?". Another moment is "Blacks should consider voting Republican". Very often, many persons who say that don't give a good reason why. All they talk about is "the Democrats have used you". When that does not work, they talk about things that aren't tangible like "self-sufficiency" or "personal responsibility". Look, I am in favor of self-sufficiency and personal responsibility. I'm in favor of hard work. You tend to get more with those things than without it. I also understand that you can have those things without the Republican Party.

And then when that doesn't work, it becomes "Black people love Trump" or "Blacks are coming around to Trump". When that doesn't work, it has now morphed into "Blacks are ungrateful".

Sounds like several stages of grief. Depression, bargaining, denial, and now anger.
Apparently it's necessary to add one more stage to Dr. Elizabeth Kübler-Ross' four stages before reaching acceptance ~ it's 'shamelessness'.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:41 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Black people who want to get paid can do it under any administration. Robert Smith got rich under any administration that happened to be in power. Republicans like to talk about black voters who want free stuff who won't vote for them. It's rich and powerful black people who aren't buying it either. If you want the hearts and minds of black people find out what educated black people who are doing well want from their Government.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Apparently it's necessary to add one more stage to Dr. Elizabeth Kübler-Ross' four stages before reaching acceptance ~ it's 'shamelessness'.
Of course many of these individuals have no shame. The whole idea is to get what one wants.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Black people who want to get paid can do it under any administration. Robert Smith got rich under any administration that happened to be in power. Republicans like to talk about black voters who want free stuff who won't vote for them. It's rich and powerful black people who aren't buying it either. If you want the hearts and minds of black people find out what educated black people who are doing well want from their Government.
Relative to other groups, Black Americans do have it harder. Black Americans face more discrimination, they are looked down on more, compared to other groups. However, I do agree that success is not impossible. There are success stories.

I have been saying what you said. Talking about Black people "getting free stuff" is a cop out. Newt Gingrich said "Blacks should seek jobs, not food stamps" back in 2012. And he was addressing people who likely have jobs or want job. You don't attract Black voters by making them feel like they're some kind of burden on society. And this is the thing. No one seems to ask why Black middle class and Black upper class people also vote Democrat in high numbers. Last I checked, they aren't seeking food stamps. They aren't looking for "free stuff'.

If the GOP wants Black votes, they should start with the middle class. I can't argue with you there. They should start with the churches. Talking about Black people as if they are some problem population is not going to work. The Democrats might talk of Black people from a perspective of pity, but many in the GOP speak of Black people from a perspective of annoyance or "this is a problem population". Who am I going to vote for? The person who pities me, or the person who views me as a pest?

Old 05-22-2019, 07:21 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I guess it just doesn’t matter for some people that no matter how much you try help them...They just don’t care give a dam....they’re more into identity politics... it just shows sad state of affairs we’re living in these times...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-bl...ating-to-biden

If this is true, then the world is standing on its head. Blacks favoring a man who lobbied for school legislation to segregate blacks from the rest of the population, and condescendingly said a black man running for president who was clean, articulate and nice looking, was so odd that he marveled at it being akin to a fairy tale?

Old 05-22-2019, 07:57 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Relative to other groups, Black Americans do have it harder. Black Americans face more discrimination, they are looked down on more, compared to other groups. However, I do agree that success is not impossible. There are success stories.

I have been saying what you said. Talking about Black people "getting free stuff" is a cop out. Newt Gingrich said "Blacks should seek jobs, not food stamps" back in 2012. And he was addressing people who likely have jobs or want job. You don't attract Black voters by making them feel like they're some kind of burden on society. And this is the thing. No one seems to ask why Black middle class and Black upper class people also vote Democrat in high numbers. Last I checked, they aren't seeking food stamps. They aren't looking for "free stuff'.

{snip}
To the bold, you quoted it as if Gingrich said it, but that did not sound like Gingrich to me, and it lacked context as to whatever point he was trying to make. So I did an internet search and that quote only came up as the title for many blog posts, the quote never appeared in the actually stories because Newt never said it.

So here is the actual quote, with context: What Newt said about food stamps

"The fact is if I become your nominee we will make the key test very simple — food stamps versus paychecks.

Obama is the best food stamp president in American history. More people are on food stamps today because of Obama's policies than ever in history. I would like to be the best paycheck president in American history.

Now there's no neighborhood I know of in America where if you went around and asked people, would you rather your children had food stamps or paychecks, you wouldn't end up with a majority saying they'd rather have a paycheck.

And so I'm prepared, if the NAACP invites me, I'll go to their convention and talk about why the African-American community should demand paychecks and not be satisfied with food stamps."

Gingrich made it clear in his second and third paragraph that he was not singling out blacks as being the people on food stamps. the only reason you claim he identifies "blacks" was because he was referring to the NAACP in the last paragraph. Which is an organization which claims to represent African-Americans.

BTW, 2012 and 2013 were the two highest years for food stamps, or SNAP. Participation rates in those two years rose to 46 and 47 million, respectively.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:07 AM

17,631 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
To the bold, you quoted it as if Gingrich said it, but that did not sound like Gingrich to me, and it lacked context as to whatever point he was trying to make. So I did an internet search and that quote only came up as the title for many blog posts, the quote never appeared in the actually stories because Newt never said it.

"The fact is if I become your nominee we will make the key test very simple — food stamps versus paychecks.

Obama is the best food stamp president in American history. More people are on food stamps today because of Obama's policies than ever in history. I would like to be the best paycheck president in American history.

Now there's no neighborhood I know of in America where if you went around and asked people, would you rather your children had food stamps or paychecks, you wouldn't end up with a majority saying they'd rather have a paycheck.

And so I'm prepared, if the NAACP invites me, I'll go to their convention and talk about why the African-American community should demand paychecks and not be satisfied with food stamps."

Gingrich made it clear in his second and third paragraph that he was not singling out blacks as being the people on food stamps. the only reason you claim he identifies "blacks" was because he was referring to the NAACP in the last paragraph. Which is an organization which claims to represent African-Americans.

BTW, 2012 and 2013 were the two highest years for food stamps, or SNAP. Participation rates in those two years rose to 46 and 47 million, respectively.
Well done.

Liberals have a way of finding "racism" by Republicans even when none exists.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:10 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

Thank you for taking the time to research and clarify this matter. Hopefully the poster you were responding to will respond and acknowledge this as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies