Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 01:56 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I want to decide what matters for myself. Not what you and your kind decide. What I want for myself is not to watch my wife who suffered severe brain damage after a stroke stopped her heart two years ago cry when I go to work every day. I want to retire and take care of my family. What community I live in matters little.

With material well being I can care for my spouse. That is who I made a sacred vow to take care of. I want no part of your forced community.

Thanks to your tariffs many of us will work another couple years or more in the corporate world.
That's because corporations control the economy. COL is so high because of how society is structured.

And medical costs don't go down with free markets, that has been proven time and time again.

You can do/live where you want, but when people are dependent on corporate income who then move local jobs overseas and leave you with jobs elsewhere, no one has a sense of belonging.

Your system has brought up depression rates, destroyed families, and keep people materially soulless. People use to look out for one another, now they only care about themselves and are willing to give up nothing.

And people aren't working shorter hours either, or retiring earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 02:00 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Soy Bean farmers are already turning on Trump. If this was Korea or Japan, the farmers would feel like patriotic heroes taking the hit.

But in this country people only care about their own material well being, there is no sense of greater purpose in life.
Yes, and I think the bigger point to be made in all of this is that it's so easy to jump on the media hype-train, even if what they are espousing is pure nonsense.

You will always notice that whenever the media covers something, especially involving Trump, that they never try and give perspectives from both sides, or answer the question of 'why' something was done the way it was, or a decision was made, or whatever the story may be. They often like to railroad people down a particular thought path, and use emotion to keep people from asking too many questions.

What I would love to see is a return to honest journalism (I think most people feel this way). I want to see every story address the question of WHY something was done... If Trump implemented tariffs, then give a rundown of reasons both for and against the move. I want to know why some people think it's a good idea, and why some people think it's a bad idea. People need to know ALL of the information, and the media are doing an abysmal job in this respect.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:02 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:

This is bigger than Trump or any US president.
You are right about that. It's called progress. If you want America to be isolated, and society to go back to how it was in the 50's or earlier, I think you are going to be disappointed. Change has a way of coming exponentially faster, and those who can't adjust get pushed aside. Maybe unfortunate, but that's just the way it is.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
They’ll b***** but, they’ll still throw down for it anyway. As you yourself said... Material has become a source of identity. Even people who don’t otherwise have two sticks to rub together will still pony up for the latest gadget that’s trending. Pretty sure those dang “tariffs†aren’t even taken into consideration. They’re PO’ed at Apple and the manufacturers, because most haven’t a clue as to what happens before their new 64 gig smart phone hit the Apple store.
If they pay the same price, then tariffs won't work.

The point of tariffs are to stop purchases from China. But you're probably right that most people don't ask to many questions of where these price hikes come from.

They're use to getting these things (relatively) cheap, so if they find out it was because of tariffs, they'll all turn against it.

There will be no rallying by people behind national unity against china.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
You are right about that. It's called progress. If you want America to be isolated, and society to go back to how it was in the 50's or earlier, I think you are going to be disappointed. Change has a way of coming exponentially faster, and those who can't adjust get pushed aside. Maybe unfortunate, but that's just the way it is.
Progress isn't defined by multi-national corporations who make cheap goods for consumers.

Scientist will continue to invent, the question is how these inventions are applied to society. If we let corporate profits determine our lives, then we will continue to find our communities and small businesses (actually small, not 50 employee small) vanish.

As for keeping up with global competition, I don't care. If America can still trade, make money, and feed its people, this race to global domination doesn't matter.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:16 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Thank the Republican party China is the result of when you put corporate profits over the American people. I haven't met one person who said buying goods at a discounted price from Walmart was Better than supporting your local businesses. Now that a Republican president has taken Action on this the Republican party has no choice, but to get behind him and "support" it.
Ummm........... Clinton ushered in the China trade policies after John Wong paid him off.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Ummm........... Clinton ushered in the China trade policies after John Wong paid him off.
Republicans supported it too.

Libertarian economics control the republican party.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:37 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Kind of makes you wonder if Trump had this economic war in mind when he pulled the US out of the TPP....which would have made America much better off. They could have signed an agreement that previous administrations worked on for eight years before Drumpf came into office, and then taken the credit as politicians always do.

But nope, Now all the remaining members who were in made a new agreement--Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam--signed off on it, and now enjoy preferential status to each other's markets, while USA wages war against the second largest economy.

America.

lol.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Kind of makes you wonder if Trump had this economic war in mind when he pulled the US out of the TPP....which would have made America much better off. They could have signed an agreement that previous administrations worked on for eight years before Drumpf came into office, and then taken the credit as politicians always do.

But nope, Now all the remaining members who were in made a new agreement--Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam--signed off on it, and now enjoy preferential status to each other's markets, while USA wages war against the second largest economy.

America.

lol.
The TPP would have been horrible.

It would be great for consumers and corporations, but workers and personal freedoms would be greatly diminished. Just a greater destruction of America as a country.

I'm glad he got us out.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:06 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Quote:
The TPP would have been horrible.

It would be great for consumers and corporations, but workers and personal freedoms would be greatly diminished. Just a greater destruction of America as a country.

I'm glad he got us out.
No they would not, you're being fed garbage. You don't work on a trade agreement for eight years and end up with something horrible. Trump is going to Japan because of this. Now that he's hearing that US beef and wheat is being priced out by your friends in Canada and Australia, he wants to cut a bilateral deal with them. All because he skipped from the TPP.

Trump is totally lost on trade, doesn't have a clue how it works, and Americans are paying (or will be very soon) a heavy price for his stupidity. There is no winning, only damage control here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies