Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 08:56 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times

Advertisements

I have just read with some alarm the article on the CNN website, New York might make it illegal to text while walking, about a proposed ban on texting while crossing streets. While a texting ban might not be so bad, the legislation appears to extend to any use of an electronic device while crossing the street.

One of the great pleasures of life that I have in life is my morning walk and/or jog. During this morning exercise, I listen to a variety of music. The way the law is worded such a pleasure will become a violation of the law, subjecting one to arrest and fine.

Why I believe strongly in pedestrian and motorist safety, there must be some ground for personal freedom, enjoyment and recreation. One should not, on morning sojourns around the neighborhood, have to keep ones eyes peeled for a police officer. This is one occasion where The dictates of the majority leaders of the two houses of the state legislature, and the governor must be subject to public input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 09:00 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Nothing like criminalizing everyday behaviors to help fill the kings coffers.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:08 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,645,527 times
This is only a start !!!
Getting a little taste of social control via democrats and the oppressive state goal of cradle to grave intrusions into all aspects of life. Democrats will turn people green as they take all the green right out of the pocket.
Next.....walking while talking...….walking with a water bottle...………..step on a crack, break your mom's back...………….all distractions, pay the fine and be fine with it !!! Criticize the state, pay the fine or go to jail. The government will live your life for you b/c they know how to do it better than you, so they say.
It started with driving. Now its walking. Next it will be crawling. Want to crawl faster. Pay more and get in the fast crawl lane.

Last edited by phma; 05-22-2019 at 09:31 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 09:14 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
What about people with earbuds in?

C'mon politicians. Don't stop til you get every last penny!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:14 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
Wow. NY has been insane with the nanny state laws.

Next will be laws against not chewing your food enough for fear of choking hazards.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I have just read with some alarm the article on the CNN website, New York might make it illegal to text while walking, about a proposed ban on texting while crossing streets. While a texting ban might not be so bad, the legislation appears to extend to any use of an electronic device while crossing the street.

One of the great pleasures of life that I have in life is my morning walk and/or jog. During this morning exercise, I listen to a variety of music. The way the law is worded such a pleasure will become a violation of the law, subjecting one to arrest and fine.

Why I believe strongly in pedestrian and motorist safety, there must be some ground for personal freedom, enjoyment and recreation. One should not, on morning sojourns around the neighborhood, have to keep ones eyes peeled for a police officer. This is one occasion where The dictates of the majority leaders of the two houses of the state legislature, and the governor must be subject to public input.

In the USA, Governments are instituted to secure endowed (sacred) rights (prosecute trespass; adjudicate disputes; defend against enemies, foreign or domestic)

Our Declaration of Independence says: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Today, Governments threaten our lives, if we do not consent to giving up our liberties and no one is happy.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:41 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,428,938 times
Quote:

Listening to music while outside means you don't hear the bird chirps, it takes you away from the now and puts you into some market sterilized world.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:47 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,833,772 times
Quote:

While I believe in pedestrian and motorist safety, there must be concessions made if a dumbass pedestrian walks out in front of traffic because they just haaaad to send that Instabook update.

This is a great reason for any motorist to be prepared by having a dash-mounted camera.

I agree that this shouldn't be a law.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:49 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,112,935 times
Ive seen an old Armenian dude cross the street in L.A. with a huge book in his face. Intellectual idiot I guess..

Old 05-22-2019, 09:51 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,112,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Listening to music while outside means you don't hear the bird chirps, it takes you away from the now and puts you into some market sterilized world.
Music is a big part of my day. It's what keeps me from flipping folks off in traffic.. What keeps me going at the gym, what keeps me awake at work..

As for market, really depends on the artist your listening to and through what what medium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies