Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 10:40 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Did you not read about the fact that people also use cell phones to listen to music as they jog or walk on quiet roads?
I said texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 10:46 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
No to Proposed Cell Phone Ban While Walking!

I can remember two incidents vividly where people texting or playing games or something walked right in front of my car. Luckily I was more careful and alert than they.

Texting like that while walking through a crowd or onto a street is stupid, but it doesn't deserve the death penalty.

People should look where they are going. If they need to text, stop a minute, lean against a mailbox or something, and do the text.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:51 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Maybe I along with many folks I know are tired of yelling out of a car while driving in NYC when others step in front of the vehicle while texting. I don't appreciate having my day shot to **** standing around waiting for an accident report to filed because of some idiot doing something that is quite obviously a preventable distraction so let's not pretend ignorance here just to be contrary...okay?
You live in the most densely populated city in the US. Pedestrians are going to do so whether texting or not. What NY is doing here is creating another revenue stream and it has nothing to do with alleviating your inconvenience.
You should advocate for private roads and sidewalks and let the market sort it out.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:34 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Maybe everyone can just wear a big plastic bubble, then they'll just bounce off of the car that hits them.

That actually sounds like it could be fun ....boing , boing , boing, oh look a huge SUV...boing ...Basinga !!!

Old 05-23-2019, 12:41 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Years ago, I contacted Intel and asked if they could design, and install a chip in ALL mobile devices that once it sensed motion, it would automatically turn the device off, and only work when there was no motion.

I felt it was a good idea, and so did they, but the cost so they told me, was prohibitive.

Bob.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:43 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I have just read with some alarm the article on the CNN website, New York might make it illegal to text while walking, about a proposed ban on texting while crossing streets. While a texting ban might not be so bad, the legislation appears to extend to any use of an electronic device while crossing the street.

One of the great pleasures of life that I have in life is my morning walk and/or jog. During this morning exercise, I listen to a variety of music. The way the law is worded such a pleasure will become a violation of the law, subjecting one to arrest and fine.

Why I believe strongly in pedestrian and motorist safety, there must be some ground for personal freedom, enjoyment and recreation. One should not, on morning sojourns around the neighborhood, have to keep ones eyes peeled for a police officer. This is one occasion where The dictates of the majority leaders of the two houses of the state legislature, and the governor must be subject to public input.
I took a look at the article you hyperlinked in your post. They specifically state that it's "texting" while walking. You can still listen to your cell phone. You just can't be looking at the screen and walking at the same time. Texting while jogging? Yeah, that would be interesting.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:44 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Years ago, I contacted Intel and asked if they could design, and install a chip in ALL mobile devices that once it sensed motion, it would automatically turn the device off, and only work when there was no motion.

I felt it was a good idea, and so did they, but the cost so they told me, was prohibitive.

Bob.
What would be the point of that I wonder. It is a mobile device so obviously it should be in motion Isn't that the whole point of it, as opposed to an old analog wired phone sitting on the desk?

I think it would be rather simple and cheap to implement, though. Each smartphone has lots of sensors in it, that could detect motion one way or another.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
That actually sounds like it could be fun ....boing , boing , boing, oh look a huge SUV...boing ...Basinga !!!
The new Generation Z craze after Tide Pods

Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Listening to music while outside means you don't hear the bird chirps, it takes you away from the now and puts you into some market sterilized world.
I've walked the streets of some very large cities before. I've not really heard any birds chirping in those big cities. Lot's of cars honking, jack hammers, and people yelling. No birds though.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:47 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I've walked the streets of some very large cities before. I've not really heard any birds chirping in those big cities. Lot's of cars honking, jack hammers, and people yelling. No birds though.
It's odd and gloomy when you go outside and there are no birds chirping. Unnatural somehow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies