Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:41 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I have just read with some alarm the article on the CNN website, New York might make it illegal to text while walking, about a proposed ban on texting while crossing streets. While a texting ban might not be so bad, the legislation appears to extend to any use of an electronic device while crossing the street.

One of the great pleasures of life that I have in life is my morning walk and/or jog. During this morning exercise, I listen to a variety of music. The way the law is worded such a pleasure will become a violation of the law, subjecting one to arrest and fine.

Why I believe strongly in pedestrian and motorist safety, there must be some ground for personal freedom, enjoyment and recreation. One should not, on morning sojourns around the neighborhood, have to keep ones eyes peeled for a police officer. This is one occasion where The dictates of the majority leaders of the two houses of the state legislature, and the governor must be subject to public input.

Frankly, some pedestrians are so lost in their phones they do pose a risk to others. Why can't people be reasonable? If they did not behave in irresponsible ways, nobody would have had the idea to ban such behaviors in the first place.

Not to mention that modern phone usage makes people feel lonely. One is in the metro, surrounded by people, yet alone When I grew up, there were no such gadgets, most people were happy to meet and greet others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 09:48 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Quote:
This is now New York State, not only New York City. I am torn between whether this is a form of creative taxation, or "control freakism", or the MADD syndrome.
I tend to lean more towards taxation simply because they will not lock up anyone over any of this--they will just summons and fine you. Take the plastic bag ban for example--they call themselves "banning" the use plastic bags given to you by a store whatever it is that you purchase for 'environmental reasons'. The business owners and employees aren't being arrested for giving them to customers to use--the stores are just paying a 'fine' for doing it.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:54 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
I have just read with some alarm the article on the CNN website, New York might make it illegal to text while walking, about a proposed ban on texting while crossing streets. While a texting ban might not be so bad, the legislation appears to extend to any use of an electronic device while crossing the street.

One of the great pleasures of life that I have in life is my morning walk and/or jog. During this morning exercise, I listen to a variety of music. The way the law is worded such a pleasure will become a violation of the law, subjecting one to arrest and fine.

Why I believe strongly in pedestrian and motorist safety, there must be some ground for personal freedom, enjoyment and recreation. One should not, on morning sojourns around the neighborhood, have to keep ones eyes peeled for a police officer. This is one occasion where The dictates of the majority leaders of the two houses of the state legislature, and the governor must be subject to public input.
Yeah, I totally miss all the times when I worked in a major downtown metro where I had people literally walk into me while distracted by texting or the occasional cell phone conversation.

Not to mention the guy I saw walk out in front of a car (narrowly missed) or the guy I saw step out in front of a bike messenger that hit him so hard the change flew out of his pockets.

Frankly, the city should just hire dudes to walk around and grab rude texters phones and throw then down the nearest sewer or manhole.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:13 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:

My phone is on Spotify several hours a day, especially that 45 minutes I walk every single day. The music comes through my hearing aides. No one would know I was listening. So do phone calls, directly to the hearing aides. Hearing the surroundings is no problem.

Not anything like always being on the lookout for people walking and texting. They are a danger to themselves and others.
I bet have to change my trajectory 3 or 4 times a morning in order to dodge people who are oblivious to their surroundings. Too bad governments have to make laws to protect us from each other and ourselves.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:14 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
I have mixed feelings. People can be really stupid--like the person who walked directly in front of my car and never even looked up. They never knew a car was coming and if I had been driving at normal speed, I would have hit them.

Then there's the person I saw who walked right into a lamp post.

I don't think they should ban talking on the phone or listening to music. And how are they going to know if someone is texting or just looking at their phone? As usual, I think the thing to do is to EDUCATE. Publicize the fact that not looking when you cross the street can get you killed or badly hurt. Most people can learn that. Everybody grumps about it but nobody does anything--the state should put public service announcements and signage out reminding people that it's not too smart to text while crossing the street. They don't have to pass laws about it.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:14 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, I totally miss all the times when I worked in a major downtown metro where I had people literally walk into me while distracted by texting or the occasional cell phone conversation.

Not to mention the guy I saw walk out in front of a car (narrowly missed) or the guy I saw step out in front of a bike messenger that hit him so hard the change flew out of his pockets.

Frankly, the city should just hire dudes to walk around and grab rude texters phones and throw then down the nearest sewer or manhole.
Did you not read about the fact that people also use cell phones to listen to music as they jog or walk on quiet roads?

Old 05-23-2019, 10:19 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Maybe should be modified to encompass crossing while distracted. Of course that is equally ridiculous.
Maybe I along with many folks I know are tired of yelling out of a car while driving in NYC when others step in front of the vehicle while texting. I don't appreciate having my day shot to **** standing around waiting for an accident report to filed because of some idiot doing something that is quite obviously a preventable distraction so let's not pretend ignorance here just to be contrary...okay?

Old 05-23-2019, 10:29 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
As I posted before, make them carry insurance to clean their blood off my car and I don't care what they do.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:32 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
Quote:

No one is stopping you from enjoying your music. Just stop and fix it where you want to listen to it. Then continue walking down the street and crossing the street. Dont do a crime and no need for a police officer. However, if you encounter a robber, that policeman will be the 1st person you want to call for.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:40 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Wow. NY has been insane with the nanny state laws.

Next will be laws against not chewing your food enough for fear of choking hazards.
Agreed.

I'm all for reasonable regulations when it comes to how people behave, but this a bit extreme.

It's worse than Georgia's hands-free law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies