Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
didn't Remington move their headquarters from the NE to the south years ago, too?
Not sure on that one off the top of my head. I am pretty sure Thompson used to be in CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 09:17 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Do remember that the firearm industry is still suffering from "Hillary didn't win" syndrome and with 2020 not looking all that positive for Dems currently, things aren't likely to turn around any time soon. Makes any move far more risky.
Yup. The firearms industry over-produced so much for 10 years that it flooded itself almost to extinction. Guns aren't like corn flakes; they don't have an expiration date when made.

The biggest problem the industry has is it continued to manufacture too many new guns for far too long in the factories they already had.

Manufacture isn't their greatest problem now; distribution and sales is by far the biggest. The entire pipeline from the factory to the customer is clogged full of un-sold guns that are now 2-4 years old.

Moving a factory is always much, much more expensive and more difficult than laying off workers and slowing the production way down. Especially when the production process is modern and efficient.

When the gun distributors who supply the gun stores begin to go bankrupt, it doesn't matter where the factory is located. The guns will have to stop being made no matter where it is they are made.

Just this week, one of the largest and oldest distributors in the business just declared bankruptcy after 87 years in the gun business.

The reason the company gave for the bankruptcy was it was far too optimistic the gun sales would escalate after the 2016 election. They overbought, and now cannot get rid of their overstock. When the bankruptcy sells off the overstock at a dime to the dollar, it will only add thousands of new guns to the flood of unsold guns.

The only other alternative would be to sell the guns as scrap metal and crush them.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:36 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I guess you don't understand what the word sometimes means.

The only opinion I have of the South at the moment is that one poster on this board who appears to be from there has a chip on their shoulder and jumps to unfounded conclusions.
"You can fool SOME of the people ALL of the time!"

The only opinion MANY on the left have of the South at the moment is that the posters on this board who appears NOT to be from there have a chip on their shoulder and jumps to unfounded conclusions!

2 can play your silly game.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They can move south and pocket unbelievable profits since they can get labor for nearly nothing down there. I don’t know why you guys think that’s a positive development.

No Obama, no big profits anymore.
"since they can get labor for nearly nothing down there."

1st, that is a bunch of B.S.

2nd, the ENTIRE COST OF LIVING is LOWER therefore the wages reflect that.

" I don’t know why you guys think", I don't think many think at all!

In NY and Conn it is NOT uncommon to pay OVER $10,000 a year in property taxes. I pay a little over $500. "Think" about that!

Old 06-13-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The South is losing a ton of manufacturing too. Why? Because it’s never cheap enough in the United States for these corporations.

I was just recently working at the Armory in Fayetteville, Tennessee...right across the street from the old Goodman Industries (they’ve been bought out and i can’t remember their new name). 2000 good paying jobs are moving out of the plant and it’ll be shut down by the end of this year.

Plot twist: the Tennessee employees are guaranteed a job at the new plant opening in South Texas; at $8.00 bucks an hour!

This is the kinda “race to the bottom†nonsense that you all seem to find so cute. Meanwhile, they all got their trillion dollar tax cut which was supposedly gonna boost employment and see a reinvestment in their companies. The people of Connecticut paid for that tax cut just like everyone else did.

But in your Conservative minds, losing your good job for even more profits is a great development.

I swear, this country is screwed.

U.S. enjoys best manufacturing jobs growth of the last 30 years.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:53 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
That would be the South.
Iowa has inherited several AR-15 manufacturers fleeing Illinois.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The northeast is tax heavy. Why do you think people and businesses move south?
"The northeast is tax heavy"

Plus the "greedy" unions drive up costs.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Better to locate themselves where people worship their product.
"Better to locate themselves where people worship their product"

So, more people from Ky buy Corvettes than other parts of the country because that is where they are built?

What about Mercedes Benz? BMW?

Old 06-13-2019, 06:11 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
didn't Remington move their headquarters from the NE to the south years ago, too?
Remington opened a manufacturing facility in Alabama. As of today, Remington is still headquartered in NY.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Probably a "good riddance" from the people of Connecticut to a "Welcome" from the destination (probably somewhere in the South, I'm guessing).

Do you think that eventually all remaining gun companies will exit the Northeast?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...m-connecticut/
Ok. Should it matter where they want to run their business? They employ 49 people, so it is not great loss or gain no matter where they operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies