Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 02:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I lived in Marietta,GA for a short time. There is a school around that area called Joseph Wheeler High School. It's named after a Confederate general. While James Monroe doesn't mean much to me, I have a deep hatred for Confederate generals. Considering the demographics of that school, I'm surprised the school's name hasn't been changed. However, I also think about this. It's not part of Marietta City Schools. It is part of Cobb County Schools. Cobb County government was run, pretty much like a good old boy network for a while.
How in the world you have deep hatred for someone you never even met? Does his service in two wars, the Spanish American and Philippine American not mean jack? Good enough to put his life on the line, but not good enough for a school or even a little positive acknowledgment?

I have literally been shot at by Iraqi and Afghan insurgents, yet could never make the claim of I have a "deep hatred" for them.

Almost my entire family is traced back to serfs under the tsars, yet not look at them, their statues with "deep hatred".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 02:44 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Progressives live in a fantasy world. I'm surprised they haven't asked Superman to spin the world backwards to go back in history to change everything

Old 06-19-2019, 03:16 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Well, America dropped the A bomb twice, used the flame throwers against soldiers in WWII. So what do we rename and tear down next? Who should be remembered?
Like I said, Confederates do not deserved to be honored. Remember their deeds, but do not honor them. No schools should have been named for them. But this happened because segregationists bigots in the South were trying to stick to it Blacks/anyone else who was in favor of integration.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How in the world you have deep hatred for someone you never even met? Does his service in two wars, the Spanish American and Philippine American not mean jack? Good enough to put his life on the line, but not good enough for a school or even a little positive acknowledgment?

I have literally been shot at by Iraqi and Afghan insurgents, yet could never make the claim of I have a "deep hatred" for them.

Almost my entire family is traced back to serfs under the tsars, yet not look at them, their statues with "deep hatred".
The minute he joined the Confederacy, he becomes dirt to me. Period. Yes, I do have hatred for all things related to the Confederacy, as a Black man. I am not sorry for feeling this way. I read the Articles of Secession. I understand that the Confederate cause was mainly about keeping slavery. Reason enough for me to have hatred for the Confederate flag. Reason enough for me to have no respect for Confederate generals. Bringing up other examples isn't going to change my mind.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:21 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
When I hear this stuff, I always tell these people, you have a lot of work to do. But you could make a good deal of progress by renaming this entire country and continent, since it was named after a European blue-eyed devil (Amerigo Vespucci).

And if you think that isn't coming (erasing Amerigo Vespucci's name from this country and continent), I've got a bridge to sell you!

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/1...ool-buildings/

The American Taliban at work again.

I wonder when they are going to tear down all the MLK statues and named buildings, given the fact that he participated in raping women?

Answer- Never. The Taliban has somewhat selective rage and it can only be directed toward white males.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:22 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:

Amen. Wheeler had a pretty distinguished military career. And truly "deep hatred" is more than a bit extreme. I would rather see schools and such named after men of honor like Wheeler than after vermin like Sherman, Sheridan, Crook, Miles, Fetterman, and that POS US Grant.

My ire with these generals revolves around post Civil War deeds. With their support both tacit and active of banks, railroads, big mining and big cattle and their land thievery, rape and murder against small ranches and homesteads who's land and water the big money wanted. The Union generals I mentioned sure weren't shining examples of justice sure can't be seen as heroes just because they served the Union during the War.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
The minute he joined the Confederacy, he becomes dirt to me. Period. Yes, I do have hatred for all things related to the Confederacy, as a Black man. I am not sorry for feeling this way. I read the Articles of Secession. I understand that the Confederate cause was mainly about keeping slavery. Reason enough for me to have hatred for the Confederate flag. Reason enough for me to have no respect for Confederate generals. Bringing up other examples isn't going to change my mind.
However, he continued to serve in the US military, including two wars, after the Civil War. Additionally, you seem to lump everyone involved into two groups, in accordance with a slavery position, which seems very odd as I doubt tens of thousands of white dudes from the Union cared enough about blacks to die, likewise, I doubt tens of thousands of CSA white dudes cared enough about slavery to go and die.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
However, he continued to serve in the US military, including two wars, after the Civil War. Additionally, you seem to lump everyone involved into two groups, in accordance with a slavery position, which seems very odd as I doubt tens of thousands of white dudes from the Union cared enough about blacks to die, likewise, I doubt tens of thousands of CSA white dudes cared enough about slavery to go and die.
What matters to me is the bottom line. I don't respect anyone who fought for the CSA, period.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:59 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
What matters to me is the bottom line. I don't respect anyone who fought for the CSA, period.
Had the CSA won they would have actually cherrished their sovereignty and kept a handle on the Southern border, unlike the treasonous suits who've been running American into the ground the last 50 years.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:03 PM

10,473 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Someday they will be removing names from buildings of men who had toxic masculinity like Patton and Eisenhower.
Why are white people being punished for something that the Arabs and North Africans started? Correct me if I am wrong, but Europeans never would have been the dominant force they ended up being if it wasn't for the African Moors invading southern Europe and enslaving people for nearly a thousand years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies