Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 01:01 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
NYC is multicultural, it's a sea of brown that surrounds an island of white, ie Manhattan. Liberals advocate for diversity, but not in their neighborhoods.
It is 1 of the most multicultural and expensive places to live in this country, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 01:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
We don’t have diversity we have fragmentation
Diversity is intended to expand the talent pool instead it expanded the social status pool
People promote and advance because of it not by ability

Old 06-21-2019, 01:13 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Who said it was a problem?

I was stating a FACT that on CD, and most likely outside of CD that some Americans classify culture solely by skin colour. So when discussing cultures, and someone one like the poster in post #15, seems to believe it is, a rebuttal is warranted.

Moving on.
I think we all know what you were trying to portray in your initial remark. Yes moving on.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think we all know what you were trying to portray in your initial remark. Yes moving on.

Responding to an incorrect assumption about culture and skin colour, doesn't make ME trying to portray anything.

I am simply responding, and making a point about some peoples misconceptions.

You are trying to put words in my mouth, or at least TWIST what I stated.

So go ahead, point out where in posts there is an untruth? Right, there isn't.

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-21-2019 at 03:22 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 04:09 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
canada's descent into tribalism is relatively recent, as is ours. time will tell.
You need to define 'multiculturalism.' If you mean 'multi-racial,' America has been that since the early 17th century when Europeans first arrived. The first Africans arrived in 1619. There of course were Indians, and Europeans of various shades, many of whom were then considered non-white. Benjamin Franklin said that only the English and the Saxons (W.Germany) were white. He classified the rest of the world as 'swarthy,' 'tawny' or 'black.'
http://www.city-data.com/forum/49250610-post150.html

Quote:
Only prior to the 17th century and the arrival of Europeans did America (the land mass, not the nation) lack significant diversity. On a place called Tinicum Island (near Philiadelphia) there were Swedes, Brits, Dutch, and of course Indians, going back to the mid 17th century. They spoke different languages and had different cultures.
http://tthsdelco.org/wp-content/uplo...icum%20Twp.pdf
And of course there was tremendous religious diversity, unlike in the old countries from which Americans came. There were Catholics, Protestants, Quakers, Jews, etc.

America has been multicultural for a long, long time. It is only in recent times that the new notion of identity politics has taken hold. If that's what you mean by 'multiculturalism,' I would agree that it is deleterious.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Multiculturalism and diversity aren’t going anywhere. The harder folks push against it, the more entrenched it’ll become.

That’s just how it’s gotta be.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:33 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hilarious-

Canada is lilly white.

Those nations with the most "diversity" are the poorest and weakest, while nations which lack diversity (Japan) are the most prosperous.

Different languages and cultures divide, not unite, people. This is why African nations with 30 different languages and customs have been economic and political failures. Likewise, until recently, India's diversity had been a loadstone for economic and political advancement.

Think Tower of Babel.
Not really, Japan is in decline, best case stagnation. Their population is greying and jobs are going unfilled due to lack of enough working age people

Old 06-21-2019, 05:10 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
You need to define 'multiculturalism.' If you mean 'multi-racial,' America has been that since the early 17th century when Europeans first arrived. The first Africans arrived in 1619. There of course were Indians, and Europeans of various shades, many of whom were then considered non-white. Benjamin Franklin said that only the English and the Saxons (W.Germany) were white. He classified the rest of the world as 'swarthy,' 'tawny' or 'black.'
http://www.city-data.com/forum/49250610-post150.html

And of course there was tremendous religious diversity, unlike in the old countries from which Americans came. There were Catholics, Protestants, Quakers, Jews, etc.

America has been multicultural for a long, long time. It is only in recent times that the new notion of identity politics has taken hold. If that's what you mean by 'multiculturalism,' I would agree that it is deleterious.
The U.S. isn't multi-cultural per se. We have an identifying one along with an identifying language. The rest are just minority cultures living among us. I don't want to see that changed. Without an identity a country has no heart and no soul.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:17 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The U.S. isn't multi-cultural per se. We have an identifying one along with an identifying language. The rest are just minority cultures living among us. I don't want to see that changed. Without an identity a country has no heart and no soul.
I don't disagree; for many years the concept was the melting pot, and E Pluribus, Unum. That has rapidly changed with the advent of identity politics.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:54 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I don't disagree; for many years the concept was the melting pot, and E Pluribus, Unum. That has rapidly changed with the advent of identity politics.
Identity politics has always been around. And as for the melting pot, not every got to be part of that melting pot you're speaking of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies