Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 08:08 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My Celtic ancestor married a native american, do I write a check or pick one up?
You should simply keep stealing your own money, into perpetuity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 08:18 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m snickering because all of a sudden, no one’s ancestry goes back before 18665 in America.
not my fathers side. My mothers goes back to the 1640's. her paternal side wound up being tories, in 1780's they fled to nova scotia. did not come back til 1900. maternal side fought for the revolutionaries...….

Old 06-20-2019, 08:31 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo
It won't be me or you making the decision on this.

Further, it won't be me or you "paying" anyone.

Let's hear the proposals before getting all hot under the collar. Cuz right now, neither of us knows enough to be getting bent out of shape.

Yes, yes. Let's hear the proposals. Let's have all Democratic contenders shout them loud and make them part of the 24/7 news cycle leading right on up to election night.

Just over and over... let's hear the identity politics. Reparations. White guilt. Original sin. Say it loud and often. Make it the #1 concern for Democratic politicians... make it so you MUST have a positive stance toward reparations AND a plan approved by a panel of "POC" to even get on stage at the Democratic debates.

Talk about it over and over and over and keep it in the news until November 2020. Do it. It's THAT important. It's what America NEEDS right now because, ya know, TRUMP is "sowing division."

LOL, ****ing clowns!

Old 06-20-2019, 08:33 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I have a black GGGrandfather (a slave? maybe) and a Mexican Great Grandmother. My family always called her a Mexican Indian, but we understood what she was. A wet back. Basically, She married my French American grandfather, making her a legal citizen.

Why should I be held accountable for reparations?

Why should I pay for something I had no responsibility for to people who were never slaves?
It wouldn't come out of your pocket directly. The government can make cuts to other bloated areas of our budget.

It's not about whether you personally are accountable, and the effects of slavery have reached out to present day. The Civil Rights movement only happened in the '60s.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:34 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
Should a West African immigrant whoose ancestor helped round up other Africans for the slave ships pay the fee but a White Lithuanian immigrant with no ancestor involved in the slave trade not get a fee?

Old 06-20-2019, 08:35 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I have a black GGGrandfather (a slave? maybe) and a Mexican Great Grandmother. My family always called her a Mexican Indian, but we understood what she was. A wet back. Basically, She married my French American grandfather, making her a legal citizen.

Why should I be held accountable for reparations?

Why should I pay for something I had no responsibility for to people who were never slaves?
Why should you pay $20,000 to Japanese internees? Because you are an American Citizen and America is paying - believe it or not, you are American.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Why should you pay $20,000 to Japanese internees? Because you are an American Citizen and America is paying - believe it or not, you are American.

The AMERICAN GOVERNMENT took a DIRECT ACTION against an individual and seized their assets and wrongfully imprisoned them.

The ACTUAL people interred were paid. Japanese descendants 100 years from now are not going to get payments from the government. Also, not ALL Japanese in America got money. Only those actually affected.

In fact, ANYONE who is wronged by the US government today has an action against them and can sue. And yes, the tax payer has to pay. Because the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT did something wrong.

If you all can't make these logical distinctions on your own, then I hate to break this to you, but "historic wrongs" are not why you're not doing well in life right now.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Should a West African immigrant whoose ancestor helped round up other Africans for the slave ships pay the fee but a White Lithuanian immigrant with no ancestor involved in the slave trade not get a fee?

The west African king Mansu Musa was the richest man ever from his trade which was largely slave based amongst other commodities. He lived before the first recorded European made his way to Sub-Saharan Africa (at the time, it was North Africans enslaving Southern Europeans).

You think Mansa Musa's progeny built anything lasting for his people? Did anything useful for Africans with that wealth? Nothing. His greatest claim to fame was handing out money on his way to Mecca to visit a rock under a black cloak.

People and societies that VOLUNTARILY sell their own to outsiders aren't the brightest bunch. You expect them to have built anything resembling a lasting civilization that could be taxed today by reparations-hungry descendants of the wealthiest significant population of black people in the world? (American blacks)

Old 06-20-2019, 08:48 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Im going to sue myself for my 5th century Saxon ancestors invading Britain and doing the whole rape and pillage thing. Also my 1st century Roman Ancestors who invaded Britain...

Inconvenient fact. There was slavery in the northern colonies. It was phased out shortly after 1776.

If you have ancestors in the colonies from ca 1630, you very likely had slave owners. For some, even poor ancestors who lived in a hovel had a single slave who was literally worth more than everything else they owned. With 25 years of genealogy under my belt I know darn well it would be an extreme statistical anomaly to only have poor ancestors. I have ancestors who were worth less than nothing... and the sister of a Revolutionary war general worth quite a bit. Two that I know of had slaves and suspect 2 others.

Mine made windows and went to church. So religious artisans who were able to pay their debt. Land owners in the Hamptons before it became for the wealthy. They were fisherman on the island. Then some family member didn't want to do the fishing and gave up all that land.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:52 AM

62,885 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
It wouldn't come out of your pocket directly. The government can make cuts to other bloated areas of our budget.

It's not about whether you personally are accountable, and the effects of slavery have reached out to present day. The Civil Rights movement only happened in the '60s.
Those cuts to other areas are also our taxes. They shouldn't be used to make those of us alive today that had nothing to do with slavery nor our ancestors to give the descendants of dead people any of our taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies