Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 09:45 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,585,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Dude, I have said it before, and I will say it again. You really need to move to a different part of the country.

Because you are living in a bubble, your views are very provincial.

You don’t have any clue what goes on beyond your little area of the country.
No kidding.

Almost every time I read one of his posts I want to reply "that may be the way it is in Oklahoma, but not in most other parts of the U.S.".

Old 07-06-2019, 09:46 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,429,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Actually in most developed countries, a high percentage of the population avoids religion altogether:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._by_irreligion

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ousgdpscatter/

The US just happens to be a particularly religious country.

But even then, the remainder of the population who do identify with a religion are not necessarily Christian.
Which is not surprising considering that people in those countries are likely to have higher levels of education, and religion is the only area of society today where otherwise intelligent people accept something as true without evidence simply because their parents and peer groups did.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,284,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Considering that the country was founded by Christians and on Christian belief -- what's the problem?
Christian beliefs have been abandoned for one.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:48 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,585,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many people will answer "Christian" even if they re not. And many Christians have no idea what their Bible says.
DJT: "Two Corinthians"

Old 07-06-2019, 09:48 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,429,270 times
Quote:
Many people will answer "Christian" even if they re not. And many Christians have no idea what their Bible says.
Correct, identification as a Christian for many people in western countries today is simply an easy way to take comfort in identifying with what is still a majority position without putting any intellectual weight into formulating a rational argument for a certain belief structure.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Where in the Constitution does it say God, Jesus, Bible, Christian nation, or anything of the sort?

Yes, it was founded by mostly Christians of all sorts. Republicans today want to FORCE all Americans to follow a narrow, strict fundamentalist version of Christianity based on hate and fear with strict punishment and ostracization for those who don't.

The militant fundamentalist Christians who currently dominate this country don't represent all Christians either.
That isn't a bunch of crap!!! And what does it mean: Christians of all sorts. Christians are Christians, there is no such thing as Christians of all sorts. Also explain what you mean by fundamentalists who currently dominate our country?

You are so off base. DO I think you have to be a Christian to be a good person or a true American? No, I don't but I do think your statements are way far from the truth with nothing to back them up

Old 07-06-2019, 09:52 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,283,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Not on the left. They are diverse in everything but thought. It's a kind of mental inbreeding. Watch how they turn on each other when someone ventures outside their narrow thought channel.
You mean like our version of RINO's? Oh...wait...

Old 07-06-2019, 09:54 AM

18,483 posts, read 15,279,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
No kidding.

Almost every time I read one of his posts I want to reply "that may be the way it is in Oklahoma, but not in most other parts of the U.S.".
When I saw the topic, I knew he would be all over this thread. Topics like this, just feed his paranoia, but the truth is, it could be any topic and he will find a way to inject evangelical Christian Republicans into it.

And my responses to him are sincere attempts to be helpful. He is miserable there, and can’t seem to fathom that most of the rest of the country is not like Oklahoma.

To Republicans around here, the response to the name “Jerry Falwell” would be:

“Yeah, I remember that name from a long time ago. Isn’t he some kind of religious guy?”

Old 07-06-2019, 09:55 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,154,328 times
Quote:
My husband is from a heavily "Catholic" part of NYC, but he says the majority of them were only "palm and ash" Christians. They would proclaim to be Catholic and do the showy festivities once or twice a year, but never actually go to church, have heaps of casual sex, and couldn't even recite a Hail Mary from memory if pop-quizzed.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:56 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,155,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That isn't a bunch of crap!!! And what does it mean: Christians of all sorts. Christians are Christians, there is no such thing as Christians of all sorts. Also explain what you mean by fundamentalists who currently dominate our country?

You are so off base. DO I think you have to be a Christian to be a good person or a true American? No, I don't but I do think your statements are way far from the truth with nothing to back them up
Yes there are "Christians of all sorts". The difference between sects can be vast. But they all consider themselves Christian. And the Republican party is heavily influenced by the fundamentalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies