Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 04:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,645,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
Yeah, those laws protect blacks from discrimination. I take it that you aren't black. There were laws back then also.

You mean tests that were catered to whites? You mean admissions that whites were given for so many years even though a black person was better. Man have the tables turned.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You are just hitting all of the common talking points without actually digging into why things were happening. You poorly fund black schools and place poor people in a section of the city and take away options by giving them criminal records to where they can't get a good job. Come on bro. You should read up on this stuff. There is plenty of information out there about how there was a plan to falsely accused black men and give them criminal records. It's not black and white as you make it out to be. Then you wonder why the black students in those same poor neighborhoods are failing tests when they don't even know where their next meal is coming from or how they are going to dodge gun fire on the way home. What about the drugs that were pumped into the black neighborhoods? Keep living in your fairy tale land and covering your eyes and ears.
Actually, there weren't laws back then. You should know that.

Now how are tests catered to white people? Do they ask questions using examples of Buffy and Tiffany? Math is math. History is history. Science is science. There isn't one curriculum being taught to one group and the wrong answers being taught to black students.

If you want to talk about how black males have been railroaded into the prison system, I'm with you. That started with everyone's favorite Democrat, Bill Clinton, by the way. (Full disclosure, I voted for him twice but got very turned off by him for a number of reasons, including the crime bill putting millions of black men into prison.) If you want to talk about how blacks get harsher sentencing than whites do, I'll back you up on that. How will freebies fix that? It won't.

Black students know where their next meal is coming from - it's coming courtesy of the taxpayer. They're getting breakfast, lunch, dinner and summertime meals now, so enough with the poor hungry black children, because that's bogus.

As for the gun fire - I can't think of a sadder situation than being a decent, law-abiding citizen, having to live in rough areas where you pray your babies will come home each day. My heart goes out to those people. Again, thank the government for bringing drugs and guns into those neighborhoods. Even in prison, El Chapo still has more control over the streets of Chicago than any mayor ever did. How will freebies help?

And I don't know what you mean by sticking people in a poor part of the city. We live where we can afford to live. It has nothing to do with me or anyone else. If you're talking about housing in nice neighborhoods - forget it. All that does is bring the value of housing down and create a lot of problems for people who were there first and have different values. Caveat - I'm sure some would have the same values, but if ANY didn't - it would create huge problems. (as an example, see the thread 'The Happiest Place on Earth'. Most people do NOT want their children exposed to that.)

Lousy schools are partly a result of parents who raise children telling them that 'nobody will ever disrespect you'. They go to school, they won't listen, they spit at teachers, hit teachers, disrupt the class, and administration tells the teachers not to lay a hand on them or remove them from the classroom or there will be hell to pay because they don't want lawsuits. How will freebies change that?

You have a government against you - saying you're incapable, too stupid to keep up, that you can't get jobs, and all of the white people are against you, and you've bought it all.

If nothing is going to change, how will freebies help? It won't. And it will embitter people who have it just as rough or rougher who get nothing, or people who don't have it as rough but see the hypocrisy and resent the hand outs they're expected to pay for.

And what kind of responsibility do you think people should take to help themselves? No mention of that. You think a woman having kids she cannot feed is responsible? You think raising kids and telling them they need to be respected and don't have to respect others is responsible? Look at the culture of poverty - it's a damn mess.

This stupid idea is nothing but reparations in a different coat. She won't be getting elected any time soon, so it's not happening, but this would fail anyway, just as it has in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 05:05 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,320,431 times
So this will help to close the "racial wealth gap?"
Okay, someone explain it to me: how does buying a house in the ghetto increase one's wealth?

Old 07-09-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Okay, someone explain it to me: how does buying a house in the ghetto increase one's wealth?
It's still an asset.

Plus it will decrease our wealth, thus closing the gap.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:13 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,130,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
All these presidential hopefuls are campaigning on giving stuff away to identity groups.
Free this, free that, free the next thing.

Is that what politics has come to ?
What is their stand on illegal immigration, the budget, taxes, foreign affairs ?

Is that not important to the American people anymore ?
Are we now down to "Who can give me the most free stuff" ?
And they figure they're an election or two from taking over. Expect some friction if that were to happen!

Old 07-09-2019, 06:15 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,130,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
It won't, but it let's them join the country club without paying the membership. It's all about getting even.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:40 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,559,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As an Asian American, I have seen how other Asians are treated in the US. I have done well enough in America and feel very comfortable living in white majority rural NH. And part of being successful is adopting the best parts of American culture.

And the only reason Obama won, was because he is an Uncle Tom (nothing wrong with that!), married with two beautiful daughters and being well spoken (Business English) and well educated. He wouldn't have won talking like a ghetto rat and dressing in a black hoodie with his pants falling off of his ass.

And if you are mad at how the police treat black people, then be mad at all the hood rats with their guns and drugs, and who cause the police to be so careful when dealing with a black person. Blame them, for the negative black stereotypes. Police officers don't want to be shot at and killed, but they still have to do their job preventing crimes and catching criminals. And I still say that Colin Kaepernick ought to go to police academy and spend a year being a police officer in the rough parts of Chicago. Blacks should walk a mile in a police officer's shoes before criticizing them.

I speak Business English very well, I am outgoing, upbeat and friendly to those I meet. When I meet new people, I listen to them and try to find what we have in common in regards to interests and goals in life. I don't think about how poorly the Chinese were treated when they built the Trans-Continental Railroad, or dwell on how the Japanese Americans were put in internment camps during WWII. I keep in mind though, that in the tens of THOUSANDS of years that humans have been on this planet, the dominant cultures bullied and took advantage of those who were weaker. It's not only the Africans who were dominated and made into slaves. The Vikings pillaged the British Isles. The Roman Empire dominated all of Europe. Ghengis Khan was a major force in Asian. And in Africa, African tribes have been bullying, enslaving and committing genocide on the weaker tribes. And it is a practice that is still going on to this day.

But I believe in moving forward, and not letting the past depress me or keep me down.
I thank you for your honest recitation of circumstance - factual, truthful circumstances. No nation, no culture, no race is without flaw, but the U.S., invented by Anglo Saxons, and built by hands of every color, is, by far, and without doubt, one of, and probably the the most just nations in history. I will hold our national record against another other nation's. It won't pass the "perfection" test, to be sure, but our flaws are the least and our strengths and positives, the highest.

If anyone feels strongly otherwise, I invite you, in all sincerity, to take your leave.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:59 PM

50,429 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Yeah, those laws protect blacks from discrimination. I take it that you aren't black. There were laws back then also.

You mean tests that were catered to whites? You mean admissions that whites were given for so many years even though a black person was better. Man have the tables turned.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You are just hitting all of the common talking points without actually digging into why things were happening. You poorly fund black schools and place poor people in a section of the city and take away options by giving them criminal records to where they can't get a good job. Come on bro. You should read up on this stuff. There is plenty of information out there about how there was a plan to falsely accused black men and give them criminal records. It's not black and white as you make it out to be. Then you wonder why the black students in those same poor neighborhoods are failing tests when they don't even know where their next meal is coming from or how they are going to dodge gun fire on the way home. What about the drugs that were pumped into the black neighborhoods? Keep living in your fairy tale land and covering your eyes and ears.
Drugs pumped into hoods that came from Mexico. Open border...check..

Old 07-09-2019, 08:02 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,206,433 times
Quote:

1. How we fund our public school systems is highly flawed. Public schools are funded by local property taxes. So the best public schools are located in the neighborhoods where the real estate is the most expensive. IMO public school quality should be more uniform, and not let the families in the richer areas go nuts and overfund their schools. Public K-12 schools should provide an adequate and standard grade school education and not go overboard and teach college level academics. As a childless homeowner, I hate to see my property taxes go up for frivolous school expenses for other people's snowflake children.

From working in a very diverse work environment in the Boston area, it seems to me that poor performing schools suffer from the students not caring about their academic education and their parents also not pushing their children to succeed in school. Teachers can't teach unmotivated students. Teachers can't be substitute parents offsetting bad parenting.

And what's with all the absentee black fathers? Why are you running away from your parental obligations? Why are you making your baby mommas be single parents? Black children need to have a strong father figure in their lives. Not only for the sake of your sons, but your daughters need a father also.

2. The majority of poor people trash their own neighborhoods and rental units. I've heard first hand horror stories from a friend who used to be part of a maintenance crew for low income housing. And the trash littering the street in ghetto neighborhoods are due to the residents who live in those areas. So why would I want litterers and bearers of bed bugs to move into the clean litter-free suburban and rural neighborhoods that I have lived in? And low income people also tend to have frequent loud parties. BTW by far, my favorite types of neighbors are Italian Americans, Scandinavians and the Japanese, followed by Jewish people. They are very considerate of others and take pride in a well-groomed yard.

IMO diverse neighborhoods are fine as long as everyone has a similar lifestyle. I WANT blacks and Hispanics to be able to have their lively neighborhood block parties. However, I prefer a much quieter and private lifestyle, so I shouldn't be criticized for not wanting noisy and messy people to move in next to me. I also don't want any pit bulls or other aggressive breed dogs to be living in my area.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:55 PM

20,765 posts, read 8,612,350 times
CamelToe doesn't remember what caused the housing bubble to burst.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
1. How we fund our public school systems is highly flawed. Public schools are funded by local property taxes. So the best public schools are located in the neighborhoods where the real estate is the most expensive. IMO public school quality should be more uniform, and not let the families in the richer areas go nuts and overfund their schools. Public K-12 schools should provide an adequate and standard grade school education and not go overboard and teach college level academics. As a childless homeowner, I hate to see my property taxes go up for frivolous school expenses for other people's snowflake children.

From working in a very diverse work environment in the Boston area, it seems to me that poor performing schools suffer from the students not caring about their academic education and their parents also not pushing their children to succeed in school. Teachers can't teach unmotivated students. Teachers can't be substitute parents offsetting bad parenting.

And what's with all the absentee black fathers? Why are you running away from your parental obligations? Why are you making your baby mommas be single parents? Black children need to have a strong father figure in their lives. Not only for the sake of your sons, but your daughters need a father also.

2. The majority of poor people trash their own neighborhoods and rental units. I've heard first hand horror stories from a friend who used to be part of a maintenance crew for low income housing. And the trash littering the street in ghetto neighborhoods are due to the residents who live in those areas. So why would I want litterers and bearers of bed bugs to move into the clean litter-free suburban and rural neighborhoods that I have lived in? And low income people also tend to have frequent loud parties. BTW by far, my favorite types of neighbors are Italian Americans, Scandinavians and the Japanese, followed by Jewish people. They are very considerate of others and take pride in a well-groomed yard.

IMO diverse neighborhoods are fine as long as everyone has a similar lifestyle. I WANT blacks and Hispanics to be able to have their lively neighborhood block parties. However, I prefer a much quieter and private lifestyle, so I shouldn't be criticized for not wanting noisy and messy people to move in next to me. I also don't want any pit bulls or other aggressive breed dogs to be living in my area.
It's not highly flawed. I willingly pay $14K plus a year in property taxes to support highly ranked schools. Nobody is cheated because of that. I'm helping to subsidize it even though my kids are grown and gone.

Studies have proven that cost per student doesn't = better outcomes. It's the disruption, the parents lack of concern about education, and lame duck teachers that are the problem. If they separated the problems and put them in one classroom to babysit, they might be able to teach the other students, but that's not allowed.

Your second paragraph highlights the real issues. Throwing more money at the problem isn't going to solve those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies