Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 10:47 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,090,962 times

Advertisements

Between this suggestion and Newsom providing free health care to illegals, my head is spinning. These programs are ridiculous. Dems are destroying this country. Handouts for votes is their motto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 11:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,706,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Good luck with this. Read the comments.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kamala-ha...100-billion-17
0809349.html

Kamala Harris proposes $100 billion plan for black homeownership

Politics
Kamala Harris proposes $100 billion plan for black homeownership
Politico By David Siders,Politico 4 hours ago

Harris said her program would “put homeownership within the reach” of millions of families.
Kamala Harris, calling on the nation to “deal with the racial wealth gap,” on Saturday proposed a $100 billion federal program to help black people buy homes.

The California senator said the plan, which would provide down payment and closing cost assistance of up to $25,000 to people renting or living in historically red-lined communities, would help some 4 million home-buyers....
Why just Blacks?
Why based upon the color of one's skin and not the content of their character?

Old 07-10-2019, 01:33 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,285,130 times
Kamala Harris' whole platform is basically tax, regulate, or just straight up take White people's stuff and give to it to Jayquantray and LaTrina in the projects or whatever.

...which is real BS because about 1/2 the White people in America came through Ellis Island not Plymouth Rock.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:11 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,774,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
1. How we fund our public school systems is highly flawed. Public schools are funded by local property taxes. So the best public schools are located in the neighborhoods where the real estate is the most expensive. IMO public school quality should be more uniform, and not let the families in the richer areas go nuts and overfund their schools. Public K-12 schools should provide an adequate and standard grade school education and not go overboard and teach college level academics. As a childless homeowner, I hate to see my property taxes go up for frivolous school expenses for other people's snowflake children.

From working in a very diverse work environment in the Boston area, it seems to me that poor performing schools suffer from the students not caring about their academic education and their parents also not pushing their children to succeed in school. Teachers can't teach unmotivated students. Teachers can't be substitute parents offsetting bad parenting.

And what's with all the absentee black fathers? Why are you running away from your parental obligations? Why are you making your baby mommas be single parents? Black children need to have a strong father figure in their lives. Not only for the sake of your sons, but your daughters need a father also.

2. The majority of poor people trash their own neighborhoods and rental units. I've heard first hand horror stories from a friend who used to be part of a maintenance crew for low income housing. And the trash littering the street in ghetto neighborhoods are due to the residents who live in those areas. So why would I want litterers and bearers of bed bugs to move into the clean litter-free suburban and rural neighborhoods that I have lived in? And low income people also tend to have frequent loud parties. BTW by far, my favorite types of neighbors are Italian Americans, Scandinavians and the Japanese, followed by Jewish people. They are very considerate of others and take pride in a well-groomed yard.

IMO diverse neighborhoods are fine as long as everyone has a similar lifestyle. I WANT blacks and Hispanics to be able to have their lively neighborhood block parties. However, I prefer a much quieter and private lifestyle, so I shouldn't be criticized for not wanting noisy and messy people to move in next to me. I also don't want any pit bulls or other aggressive breed dogs to be living in my area.
On your school funding piece, be careful what you ask for. Some years back Vermont did a statewide redistribution of property taxes to equalize school funding and give kids in towns w/o much of a tax base an equivalent education as kids in wealthy communities. They combined that with a scheme where the State subsidizes homeowner's property taxes if they are too high relative to household income. The result has been waste on a massive scale. In an era of declining student enrollments we now have half empty schools in every small town in the State. There is no incentive to merge schools because that town doesn't incur the cost of keeping it open; the cost being spread statewide. My town has 15 - 20 kids per grade and we run two classrooms per grade at the elementary school, and those classrooms with 7 - 10 kids each have teacher's aides as well. We spend about $22,000 per kid per year, and this is not a wealthy town. The 3 town district next to mine still keeps 3 high schools open despite only about 20 kids per graduating class in each of those high schools. Each town wants their own school and there is no financial incentive to close theirs. With subsidies based on income going to 2/3's of households, budgets don't get voted down because there is no impact on that 2/3's no matter how much is voted on.

The rest of your post makes abundant sense.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:01 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,209,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
On your school funding piece, be careful what you ask for. Some years back Vermont did a statewide redistribution of property taxes to equalize school funding and give kids in towns w/o much of a tax base an equivalent education as kids in wealthy communities. They combined that with a scheme where the State subsidizes homeowner's property taxes if they are too high relative to household income. The result has been waste on a massive scale. In an era of declining student enrollments we now have half empty schools in every small town in the State. There is no incentive to merge schools because that town doesn't incur the cost of keeping it open; the cost being spread statewide. My town has 15 - 20 kids per grade and we run two classrooms per grade at the elementary school, and those classrooms with 7 - 10 kids each have teacher's aides as well. We spend about $22,000 per kid per year, and this is not a wealthy town. The 3 town district next to mine still keeps 3 high schools open despite only about 20 kids per graduating class in each of those high schools. Each town wants their own school and there is no financial incentive to close theirs. With subsidies based on income going to 2/3's of households, budgets don't get voted down because there is no impact on that 2/3's no matter how much is voted on.

The rest of your post makes abundant sense.
In NH and VT, perhaps we need to force mergers of our town schools. In my town, our property taxes keep jumping up, and there is no system in place to be able to roll back our tax contributions.

Public schools have the really bad habit of spending every single dollar in their annual budgets for fear that if there is any money left over, then they will be allotted less money the next year. In the city of Newton, MA one year, mid-year the school officials found that they had not assigned a million of the dollars in their budget. So they had a special meeting to spend that extra money, rather than let it sit in their bank account. My NH town is the same way. Also, our elementary school costs more per student per year than our higher ranked high school.

And I agree, more money spent per student doesn't translate to a better education. And what is the point of pushing every single student towards a high quality university when not every student wants to become a doctor, software coder or engineer? What if their personality and talents would make them better blue collar skilled tradespeople or agriculturalists? IMO our public schools are throwing away billions of our property tax dollars in their misguided efforts to force a STEM education on every student. IMO that is the wrong interpretation of "no child left behind". Also in doing so, this path is why rural areas are losing population. In heading off to expensive universities for their college degrees and more, they are incurring massive student loan debts which can only be paid off by staying in urban areas and getting work that can pay off that debt.

And no, college loan debts should NOT be forgiven. And college should NOT be free. Paying for college forces students to make a real commitment completing to that higher education. Having it be free will create a situation of students walking away from their studies when they aren't doing well in class or getting sidetracked by life. And grade school students at least have their parents to keep them going to classes and threatening them when they play hooky or don't finish their homework. They and their parents also know that most jobs require at least a high school degree in order to apply.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:21 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,102,764 times
If anyone thinks what is going on in South Africa isn't coming to America, you are dead wrong. Electing Obama was a terrible mistake that has made this evil flourish. It's all very all about retribution on people that had nothing to do with a perceived injustice.

Kamala is the devil incarnate. She is just horrible.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:55 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,443,646 times
Kamala just isn't a good candidate. She thought she could pull off an Obama (mixed race, 2 year senator from a deep blue state) but alas it's just not working for her.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:05 PM

4,673 posts, read 1,961,757 times
I am thankful for Kamala, she is giving CD a whole new subject to argue about, yippie.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:14 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,677,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Between this suggestion and Newsom providing free health care to illegals, my head is spinning. These programs are ridiculous. Dems are destroying this country. Handouts for votes is their motto!
Then explain why Democrats want to destroy the country. Don't they have to live with the destruction?

Old 10-14-2019, 02:40 PM

33,589 posts, read 18,205,953 times
Trump creating jobs and blacks can be able to afford to buy a house.. they can do it on their own. Just like anyone with a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies