Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 09:35 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

High capacity weapons.

While I certainly do not condone their behavior, what crime/s did they commit worthy of being killed in mass?

I certainly think law abiding individuals should be able to own high capacity weapons for a variety of reasons, but it wouldn't be to execute kids for committing theft and vandalism.

Is that really what you were implying?

`
I'm not in favor of high powered weapons being used to solve the problem. This is if I look at it from a moralistic perspective. I am, however, in favor of self-defense. I am in favor of people defending themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 09:43 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No, rational, legal gun owner wants to shoot people unless it is a last resort and their life is in jeopardy. Why go through that mental anguish and the LEGAL hassles to follow which would be life changing and financially ruinous? That being said, when one of these mobs does attack a CCW holder, I cringe to think what may happen, as they often commit RANDOM ACTS OF VIOLENCE on innocent bystanders.
Eh you know...they'd end up dead, the person would probably end up in prison for defending themselves. It would barely make the news and would be mostly forgotten about in a week or less. That's how it is in these sh*t hole towns like Philly.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:48 PM

Flash robbery is not just in Philadelphia.

There was a flash robbery at a North Face store in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. For anyone who doesn't know where that is, it's a suburb outside of Kenosha. It's on the Wisconsin/Illinois border. Joe Louis used to train in Pleasant Prairie.

My first thought was "oh boy, this isn't going to look good for me as a Black man". There are about 20,762 people in Pleasant Prairie. It's about 87% White and 2.5% Black. In short, about 519 Blacks live in that area. It looks like there were about 10 guys who robbed that store. If those were individuals who lived in Pleasant Prairie, that is going to look really bad. Nearly 2% of the Black population committing a crime. If those persons didn't live in Pleasant Prairie, some might see it as "see, this is why we don't want public transportation. Look what it brings".

Another thought I had was this. A bunch of idiots and criminals. You don't go into a store and steal.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:54 PM

In addition to my last post, southeastern Wisconsin has a history of group violence. Flash mob violence at the Wisconsin State Fair in 2011. Mayfair Mall violence in 2011. Riverwest violence in 2011. And then a riot in Milwaukee, 2016.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:05 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The "black community" can't do that anymore than I can influence the "white community" with it's own scumbags.

Case in point, whom do you think bears the brunt of the bad actions of black kids that weren't raised right? The black community itself does.

They have more motivation than anyone to put a stop to this...but can't.

Basically, the idea of "black community" is a colorful political phrase tossed around but in reality is a mythological creature.
It *does* take a community to help stem rotten culture. It firstly takes parents who are present, aware, and involved. It takes a refusal of family and friends to accept recidivist lawlessness from their own kin. It takes teachers who are tough, coaches who take no crap, and a legal system that is tough as hell on repeat offenders. The passive and even dismissive approach to regulating friends and family who can’t fly straight is not a virtue of the black community. They need to be willing to call out their own, not continue supporting them.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
It *does* take a community to help stem rotten culture. It firstly takes parents who are present, aware, and involved. It takes a refusal of family and friends to accept recidivist lawlessness from their own kin. It takes teachers who are tough, coaches who take no crap, and a legal system that is tough as hell on repeat offenders. The passive and even dismissive approach to regulating friends and family who can’t fly straight is not a virtue of the black community. They need to be willing to call out their own, not continue supporting them.
And believe it or not, alot of Black people are not defending those criminals. Heck, alot of Black people not living in Pennsylvania don't even know that this even happened. When a few Black teenagers beat up a special needs White kid and livestreamed it on facebook, there were alot of Black people condemning those thugs.

This is the thing. Black people who already do their part in not contributing to crime flee such neighborhoods when they get the chance. The persons who do those things you recommend, they're either living in places far from the inner city, or if they are there, they are trying to leave. it's not a "Black community problem". This kind of behavior is most prevalent within the underclass.

It's not an unwillingness to call out one's own. It's that some people will never listen. Some Black Americans have cut their losses and said "forget you. You want to act a fool, the prisons will take care of you".

You should also think about this. Many people seem to function better in prison than outside of it. That is a big problem right there.

And yes, strong teachers are needed in these inner city areas. However, alot of teachers don't want to teach in those areas. Many kids who want better for themselves don't want to be in those schools.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
First of all, most of them appear to be full-grown adults, granted they are dressing and behaving like young thougs.

I live in a nice neighborhood in Northern CA. I was in Home Depot the other day when there was a flash mob rush. The helper told me this happens a lot and there's not a thing they can do about it. People come in, gather up items and rush out the door.

The company policies prevent employees from apprehending the criminal and the state laws allow them to go free if the cost is under a specific amount.

In my conversation with the workers at Home Depot, the event seemed to impact the morale of the employees to see their place of employment plundered like that. The two hard working gentlemen both seemed helplessly frustrated. One thing is probable is that without penalties, it won't stop and the USA will continue to become less safe and less civil place to live.

THIS is what the USA ought to be most ashamed of.
Sounds like individuals who, mentally, never really grew up.

If Home Depot has such a policy, the company is ultimately shooting themselves in the foot. The company is losing money. And some people will start walking out and no longer wanting to work for Home Depot.

I have to think about your statement about America becoming less safe and civil. For many people, where they live was never safe or civil. Oakland has been rough for a long time. Richmond, CA is already unsafe for many people. Many inner city neighborhoods have long been unsafe places to live. Those who could leave left. Those who couldn't were basically stuck. Memphis is a dangerous city and it has a history of being a violent city. It was the murder capital of America in the 1900s. Birmingham, Alabama, last year, had a murder rate of 52.4 murders per 100,000. The reason it flies under the radar is because it has a population of 209,000 people.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:12 AM

1,663 posts, read 876,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In addition to my last post, southeastern Wisconsin has a history of group violence. Flash mob violence at the Wisconsin State Fair in 2011. Mayfair Mall violence in 2011. Riverwest violence in 2011. And then a riot in Milwaukee, 2016.
And in each of those instances as well as the Pleasant Prairie robbery the perpetrators were all black. Why?

Old 07-11-2019, 12:18 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Which posters? YOU? You don't speak for me and other posters.

And plenty of religious people have friends who are atheists.

You just want to be surrounded with people who look like you and think like you.

mtl1, a poster whom I think was banned, sounded just like you. Funny, that.
Still no answers to what place on earth has been racially stable wherever there are large populations of the two groups. And if course people are banned for speaking up when what are saying is unpopular. Doesn't make them wrong.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
And in each of those instances as well as the Pleasant Prairie robbery the perpetrators were all black. Why?
I can only give you an academic answer. I can give the theories of why crime takes place. In fact, I think you need to read the rest of my posts. However, as for the problems going on in southeast Wisconsin, I really wonder what's going on. I have little idea with those individuals in Pleasant Prairie did what they did. You'd have to ask the persons who did that. I avoid individuals who are criminals (of any race).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies