Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 04:29 PM

5,902 posts, read 3,914,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Capitalism is the only moral system.
Capitalism doesn’t prescribe right or wrong in moral terms, only profits. The idea that markets could ever be self-policing is laughably misguided. We’re living with that truth as we speak. Profits buy power and influence, which are then used to change the rules of the game to enable even more profits in a classic vicious cycle. Rinse and repeat until a clear winner emerges or the entire system collapses in a mass of warring factions. Looks like we’ve got the latter to me.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:35 PM

4,909 posts, read 3,371,611 times
It's threads like these why (white) millennials and GenZ are gravitating to the far right and the alt-right..

Old 07-14-2019, 12:21 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,362,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Capitalism doesn’t prescribe right or wrong in moral terms, only profits. The idea that markets could ever be self-policing is laughably misguided. We’re living with that truth as we speak. Profits buy power and influence, which are then used to change the rules of the game to enable even more profits in a classic vicious cycle. Rinse and repeat until a clear winner emerges or the entire system collapses in a mass of warring factions. Looks like we’ve got the latter to me.
...which is always the result when you have massive state power to sell off.

Quote:
“As long as government has the power to regulate business, business will control government by funding the candidate that legislates in their favor. A free-market thwarts lobbying by taking the power that corporations seek away from government! The only sure way to prevent the rich from buying unfair government influence is to stop allowing government to use physical force against peaceful people. Whenever government is allowed to favor one group over another, the rich will always win, since they can "buy" more favors, overtly or covertly, than the poor.”

― Mary J. Ruwart

Old 07-14-2019, 05:32 AM

59,328 posts, read 27,487,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Everything I said is true.
Who's paying $20,000 on health care costs per year? That's not even the national average.

You just don't want to face the truth...

"Everything is included" in EU-28 taxes? Nope. Housing, food, and clothing are NOT included. Housing and clothing are expensive in the EU-28, and the average income earner has to pay for those with their GREATLY reduced take home pay due to an EU-28 average 45% effective national tax rate.

That's like an average American earner ($52,000/year) trying to pay for housing, food, and clothing at a bare minimum on take home pay of just $28,600 or just $2,383/month. Rent/mortgage, alone, eats up at least half of that.

In direct contrast, the average American earner ($52,000/year) pays an average effective federal tax rate of 23.1% (10.7% income tax plus 12.4% for both employee and employer share of SS and Medicare tax).

Do you think you can convince average income Americans to bump that effective federal tax rate up to 45% like the EU-28? I don't think they'll go for it, especially with the extreme shortage of affordable housing in the US due to having to compete with 22 million illegal aliens (Yale/MIT study) for low-cost housing.

"Do you think you can convince average income Americans to bump that effective federal tax rate up to 45% like the EU-28?"

There are ADDITIONAL taxes many from other countries pay like a VAT. In England you have pay a tax BEFORE you can get cable TV service.

Then, "In the United Kingdom and the Crown dependencies, any household watching or recording live television transmissions as they are being broadcast (terrestrial, satellite, cable, or Internet) is required to hold a television licence. Businesses, hospitals, schools and a range of other organisations are also required to hold television licences to watch and record live TV broadcasts.[1] A television licence is also required to receive video on demand programme services provided by the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation), on the iPlayer catch-up service. Since April 2019, the annual cost is £154.50 ($195) for a colour licence and £52 ($65) for a black and white licence."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televi...United_Kingdom

Old 07-14-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Capitalism is very simple: it’s a systematic transfer of wealth from people with low bargaining power to people with high bargaining power.

Poor people are desperate to survive, so they have no bargaining power. They are forced to sell their labor at prices well below the value of their labor. People with high bargaining power (obtained via ownership) capture the value differential between wages and labor value.

Capitalism is essentially a predatory system. It’s a transfer of energy from the organisms at the bottom of the food chain to the organisms at the top. Capitalism is great for the people at the top of the food chain; it’s not so great for the people at the bottom.

I love capitalism: I get to feast off the fruits of someone else’s labor, simply because, as an American, I was born near the top of the food chain. It’s like owning slaves, without anyone knowing or caring about it.
You must have "learned" all of this from a liberal college!

"They are forced to sell their labor" who is "forcing" them? Is someone putting a gun to their heads?

"well below the value of their labor." and WHO determines "the value of their labor"?.

If you DON'T like what others are paid, start our OWN business and pay what you want.

I'd bet you wouldn't last a year.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I agree with you for the most part. Capitalism is the only moral system. No other system comes close.

Government regulation is nothing but slavery. Introducing slavery to a moral system is in no way a good idea.

Government should only play a role in capitalism by stopping some people from lying, cheating, stealing or harming others.

I REALLY wish you and other posters would STOP with all the slavery" angle. It is B.S. and you all know it.

Those that use get ZERO credibility from me.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:13 AM

89,293 posts, read 45,013,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Oh, and btw, good that you googled the property tax calculation for Germany. Did you miss the part about "the assessed value of the property". So if you knew what you are talking about, you would know that this value has nothing to do with the market value. Some of the values are from the 30s lol.
"Some," not all. The bottom line is that even the German government is showing a real estate tax rate of 1.62%. That's a LOCAL tax. So stick to comparing National/Federal taxes, as I've discussed, as it's the National/Federal governments that provide national health care, free college, old age pensions (Social Security), etc.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol. So my math was correct after all as opposed to yours and you decided to shift the subject
No, it's still an average cost of $11,000/person. Can't afford to pay any more than that? Don't have kids. Having kids one can't afford to support is an automatic recipe for a lifetime of financial hardship and struggle, not to mention committing acts of violence against others by forcing them under penalty of imprisonment to subsidize their selfishly self-incurred expenses.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
I don’t quite understand. I was saying that government must stay away from the business until real harm is created.
"Some" people view not being able to support a family of 4 in a middle class lifestyle on an entry-level minimum wage job as being "harmed."

Old 07-14-2019, 06:41 AM

37,282 posts, read 19,276,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
It's really sad young people are buying into the propaganda sold by characters like AOC and Bernie Sanders. I blame the education system. That Communism doesn't work is basic logic. We need a modern Milton Friedman, who can explain the basic fact that prosperity is maximized when each individual pursues his own self-interest. Americans in the 1980s understood that, hence Reagan 49-state landslide.
Prosperity in the United States was last maximized in the 1950s when Capitalism was highly regulated and the top tax rates were 90%. Eisennhower's policies of promoting business growth, education and unions is what built the middle class that Reagan began destroying as soon as he took office.

BTW - If you have the delusion that you will ever be a 1%er, you need to lose it unless you are the scion of an already established family or you get unbelievably lucky. You will never be able to work hard or liong enough to make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies