Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 06:17 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,762,202 times

Advertisements

It's great that this woman was saved from further harm but if we accept this sort of technology calling the cops in these circumstances we set a very bad precedent. And we cannot ignore the fact that Amazon lied to us about their device only listening when we say "Alexa". If they are lying about that, what else are they lying about?

Are you OK with our technology listening to us and reporting us when we commit a crime? What about countries with hate speech laws? Should this sort of technology report people committing hate speech infractions in their own homes?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/949544...ce-new-mexico/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 06:24 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
Ei-yi-yi........ Good outcome in this case, but you are absolutely right. People need to be educated that they are willingly bringing a spy into their homes.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:28 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,284,930 times
WHY?

Why anybody buy such a thing?

I intend to reach 90 without:

- Watching cable TV.
- Using social media.
- Purchasing any Apple brand product.
- Drinking Starbucks.
- Leasing, instead of buying, a car.
- ...and for Damn Sure, never use a Big Brother box like Alexa, Siri, Cortana or whatever.

I have upheld the above standards ...doubt I'll reach 90 though...

Old 07-13-2019, 06:29 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,881,898 times
Technically the crook said call the cops...

Old 07-13-2019, 06:34 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,762,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Technically the crook said call the cops...
Well technically he asked if his girlfriend called the sheriff, but he did not say "Alexa" first. That may seem like a minor thing but Amazon assures us that their device is not spying on us, it is only programmed to listen when we say Alexa, and that is a lie. It is listening to what we say always.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:44 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,881,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Well technically he asked if his girlfriend called the sheriff, but he did not say "Alexa" first. That may seem like a minor thing but Amazon assures us that their device is not spying on us, it is only programmed to listen when we say Alexa, and that is a lie. It is listening to what we say always.
If it doesn't listen, how does it know we said Alexa? Of course it has to listen all the time.... It's software control with safety in mind that if there is a phrase of call the cops, it may default to call... It's pretty understandable....

Old 07-13-2019, 06:44 AM

24,543 posts, read 17,291,517 times
We are being spied on all the time by our computers and phones. If I look up something on a website I will see ads for similar products on other websites and in some cases it has transferred over to my phone.

My wife and I were talking about buying something and 5 minutes later she picked up her phone and there was an advertisement for the product.

I would never buy one of those Alexa things. I still like to do things myself, the old fashioned way such as right now I am building a pod like in the movie "2001 a Space Odyssey" so my wife and I can get inside to have a private conversation. I just hope the toaster hasn't learned to read lips...

Old 07-13-2019, 06:46 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,453,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
WHY?

Why anybody buy such a thing?

I intend to reach 90 without:

- Watching cable TV.
- Using social media.
- Purchasing any Apple brand product.
- Drinking Starbucks.
- Leasing, instead of buying, a car.
- ...and for Damn Sure, never use a Big Brother box like Alexa, Siri, Cortana or whatever.

I have upheld the above standards ...doubt I'll reach 90 though...
Your life, your choices. Hope you enjoy the journey.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:12 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,449,194 times
Its horrible.

All Alexas should be destroyed.

And Amazon should be charged with public espionage, have every executive jailed, shareholders fined 300% their share value, and the company should be broken up.

Instead what will happen is people will keep buying it and Amazon will keep making money with no consequences.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:14 AM

34,256 posts, read 18,624,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Its horrible.

All Alexas should be destroyed.

And Amazon should be charged with public espionage, have every executive jailed, shareholders fined 300% their share value, and the company should be broken up.

Instead what will happen is people will keep buying it and Amazon will keep making money with no consequences.
^^^^^This. You have to be nuts to allow these devices in your home. They are invasive, an dangerous. If you want your right to privacy and free speech, do not allow one in your home. I guarantee most of the people that have these are brain dead progressives that don't care about their natural rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies