Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much energy should be used to rescue certain "dregs of society" suspects from suicide
Go all out to save these people - life always has value 11 36.67%
Moderate efforts (4-7 on scale of 1-10) efforts should be used to save these people 2 6.67%
A show of effort should be used to save these people but not much more 6 20.00%
Let them die - these people contribute nothing of value and cost a lot 11 36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 03:49 AM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times

Advertisements

Life is valuable. It reflects on who we are if we make no attempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 05:14 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
NO....the more appropriate question is, "Why is the state treating people like they are already guilty, when they havent even been to trial yet for their ALLEGED crime?
Because they are considered a danger to society or a flight risk. Are you proposing that someone accused of randomly killing people be free until their trial?

The current practice is they have a hearing and the accused has a right to request release on their own recognizance, which judges do grant for minor crimes as long as there is reason to believe the person will show up for trial or if there is sufficient cause to believe they might not have enough evidence to even go to trial. Granted it is a low bar, but there have been plenty of cases where the judge makes them release suspects. Epstein is the poster child for flight risk, and plenty of reason to believe he’ll go to trial.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:27 AM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't think the state should have any say in whether someone chooses to end their own life.

Quite honestly, it saves a lot of taxpayer money.

I'd say all prisoners should have the option of euthanasia on-demand.
With some modifications I agree. I think we need to strongly discourage a college student who wants to die over a lost girlfriend or bad grade. But the prison situation is very different. Epstein knows he has no good options. Maybe death is the best one, and will save us both from a circus trial and taxpayer money.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:30 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I didn't vote, but I would try to save anyone who is contemplating suicide. I value life (though I have no problem with the death penalty for those who have taken another life or committed another heinous crime), and will gladly do my small part to help protect it. Now, I get that not every effort I'd make would be successful, but I'm ok with that. Its about the effort.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
When someone is considering suicide, how do they reach the conclusion that things will be any better if they go thru with it?

Imo, death is something FAR too mysterious, to jump head first into.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Life is valuable. It reflects on who we are if we make no attempt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I didn't vote, but I would try to save anyone who is contemplating suicide. I value life (though I have no problem with the death penalty for those who have taken another life or committed another heinous crime), and will gladly do my small part to help protect it. Now, I get that not every effort I'd make would be successful, but I'm ok with that. Its about the effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
When someone is considering suicide, how do they reach the conclusion that things will be any better if they go thru with it?

Imo, death is something FAR too mysterious, to jump head first into.
These all don't take into account the role of criminality.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:34 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Epstein needs to live long enough to be convicted and get through his appeals period. That way his victims will be in a better position to sue his estate. Personally I'd like him to go on living anyway so that maybe a cellmate named Bubba can console him in Bubba's special way.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Epstein needs to live long enough to be convicted and get through his appeals period. That way his victims will be in a better position to sue his estate. Personally I'd like him to go on living anyway so that maybe a cellmate named Bubba can console him in Bubba's special way.
Bubba does not inhabit Club Fed. It's expensive, luxurious incarceration.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I thought this thread was going to be about the use of Narcan

Old 07-28-2019, 07:48 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
This guy needs to stay alive to uncover the pedophilia ring he was involved in. That's the only reason he has value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies