Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 07:17 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The word "racist" has been thrown around so carelessly and recklessly that it has lost it's meaning.
You're right. Most conservatives aren't racist, they're prejudiced. There is a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 07:21 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
You're right. Most conservatives aren't racist, they're prejudiced. There is a difference.
I prefer to think of myself as discriminating.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:23 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Prejudiced? Stating the most obvious thing in the last 40 years is prejudiced? Ok, if you say so.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:36 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Is it already having an inept leader interested only in himself that tipped you off?
Yep, the entire Jihad Squad.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:27 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Wait a minute- I thought the problem was that all the illegals/Hispanics were taking all the good jobs? When did they become unemployable.

And there are plenty of European immigrants..................
Don't know why you thought that. You may be the only person in America who thinks so, but if there are others, you are all wrong.
No statement was made by me about European immigrants. Different subject.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:19 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Funny you mention the word "racist". I live in AZ and from time to time Snowflake comes up in topics of conversation on the drivetime afternoon news show on the FM local news network 92.3 FM. Mac & Gaydos is the name of the show. They are mostly center, maybe center right but they are rather fair. Snowflake is a mostly white neighborhood (at 87% of the population, Native Americans are second at nearly 7%) in southern Navajo County. A fairly rural area mind you. Sometimes it comes up with the name, but often the politics of the area are a problem. Jeff Flake came from there (no idea if he was a descendant of one of the two town founders) but he has been a proven fake when it comes to being principled. The comments of "declining white birthrates" and schools being weighted down by "stupid non-whites" is actually somewhat common. Mac & Gaydos attack this town and for good reason. It is your stereotypical xenophobic backwoods town. Wendy Rogers is no saint and wants to remove Social Security, but she is right that these comments were out of line.

Anyway, as for racism losing its meaning, it has only because people turned the fight from just racist people to the institution itself is racist (sexist can work here too.) I mean, it is easy to understand why Donald Trump is called a racist, he says racist things that aren't even dog whistles. "Go back home" has long been a rallying cry against immigrants (whether you talk from another state or a country) and he even called native born women immigrants. Three out of the four from the squad were native born Americans. Hell even if you want to use birth-right citizenship, AOC is legal because she was born to Puerto Ricans (a U.S. territory) and there is no proof Pressley's parents weren't American. Only Imar and Talib would not be citizens without birth right (Imar would not even be eligible to birth-right either.) "Go back home" was previously reserved to the Irish and Italians, just watch Gangs of New York which was with the 1860's draft card riots by the Know Nothings (especially New York's Dead Rabbits) who were the prototype of Trump Republicans.

Those who choose to forget the past are bound to repeat it. We are repeating it. We should know better.

"Go back home" is not racist just because it hurts some people's feelings. And therein lies the problem. Every time someone calls someone racist because their feelings got hurt, the word loses it's meaning. Would it be racist if I told a Canadian to go back home?

I do think some immigrants should consider going back home. Mainly the ones that just came here to whine and complain. We have a surplus of whiners and complainers as it is. We also have way too many immigrants that come here and end up on welfare and such. Again, we have enough natural born citizens to care for. Our government has not done a very good job of regulating immigration, and I think that should appear obvious to most.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:29 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:

Telling the truth is never wrong. Most conservatives do not want to end up like South America, and there is nothing wrong with that. But I would say a whole lot of democrats are legitimately racist. They want to use racism as a political weapon the same way the Bolsheviks did. They use racism because it worked so well then, and it's working so well today. But it is starting to lose its effectiveness because democrats have relied on this heavily for too long now.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:30 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Don't know why you thought that. You may be the only person in America who thinks so, but if there are others, you are all wrong.
No statement was made by me about European immigrants. Different subject.

Nope- plenty of people complained about the illegals taking jobs during the last election.

I was pointing out that European immigrants often took the same behavior/path that you were prescribing to Hispanics and after one generation everyone had greatly assimilates and had entirely assimilated by the third. It is not a separated subject- just comparing a shared trait of some (not all) immigrants.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:20 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Nope- plenty of people complained about the illegals taking jobs during the last election.

I was pointing out that European immigrants often took the same behavior/path that you were prescribing to Hispanics and after one generation everyone had greatly assimilates and had entirely assimilated by the third. It is not a separated subject- just comparing a shared trait of some (not all) immigrants.
Most European immigrants aren't here illegally and they aren't working for less like illegal aliens do and that's how they are taking American jobs.

As long as we have a continued influx of illegal aliens from south of our border they will never assimilate. Colonization will take place instead.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:25 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Wait a minute- I thought the problem was that all the illegals/Hispanics were taking all the good jobs? When did they become unemployable.

And there are plenty of European immigrants who settled in enclaves with others of the same background/native language. They might not have fully assimilated but their kids came close and their grandkids often have little ties to the grandparents' country of origin beyond family folklore. I can attest to that scenario in my own family.

I also think its funny people from the Southwest are whining about the lessening of whiteness. That area was always home to some level of Hispanics and used to be Native American. Gringos only took the lead for less than a century. Heck- both my parents were alive by the time it became an actual state after the turn of the last century.
Illegals, Hispanic or not are taking once good paying jobs from Americans such as construction and landscaping jobs. That's a fact that can't be denied.

As for assimilation, legal immigrants are more than likely to assimilate than illegal aliens. No one cares about skin color it's about losing our identifying culture and having our demographics change via illegal immigration. That's neither lawful nor natural. Seems you like to blur the lines between legal and illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies