Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support ballot qualifications outside of the constitution?
Yes: states should put any kind of limitation that they want even for political motivations 8 11.11%
I only support this one and can't fathom other important reasons to do something 1 1.39%
No: This is anti-Democratic. 63 87.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 07:00 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,222,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Do we have to show valid id to vote too?
Sure, bring your Mexican ID card so they can find you on the roll

Old 07-31-2019, 07:51 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Do we have to show valid id to vote too?
The constitution is currently interpreted as 1 person = 1 vote.

https://www.theconstitutionproject.c...rson-one-vote/

Identifying voters is fundamental to ensuring free and fair elections under the premise of 1 person = 1 vote.

Also constitutional rights frequently require a picture ID to exercise. Do you have to show a valid ID when buying a gun? When obtaining a passport (the USSC says you have a constitutional right of traveling outside the country)? When registering to run for office? Yes to all 3.

What California is doing is placing restrictions on candidates beyond that of the Constitution and essentially disenfranchising voters of options.

Would Democrats be fine with requiring neutral medical examinations and handing them over to red state attorney generals to release at his/her will in full or in part?

What about grades and tests scores handed over to a red state attorney to release at his/her will in full or in part?

Because Democrats win the least educated group (and most educated group too to be fair), Democrats said it would be disenfranchising their low-educated voters if Republicans took off party-identification from the ballot so that voters couldn't just vote by party. If Democrats consider it disenfranchising to remove the party affiliation from a ballot - how is it not disenfranchising to remove politicians completely from the ballot based on partisan rancor?

Old 07-31-2019, 07:56 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I DO think Congress should make disclosure of taxes mandatory.
Why?

We already have a government agency whose job it is to ensure they are paying their taxes honestly.

Should wevalso make it law we tap their phones and publish their calls?

Old 07-31-2019, 07:59 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
It isn't constitutional as far as I can tell, but then I am not a bottom feeding lawyer.

My taxes are no one's business, I respect everyone's right to privacy.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:07 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why?

We already have a government agency whose job it is to ensure they are paying their taxes honestly.

Should wevalso make it law we tap their phones and publish their calls?
Why? For all the reasons open and honest presidents have done it in the past.

To disclose any potential conflicts of interest, for one, very big thing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-31-2019, 08:10 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

California's governor signed into law that you can't appear on the California ballot for president unless you hand over the past 5 years of tax returns to the California Attorney General.
Actually, it is to appear on the primary ballot AFAIK.

I think having an informed electorate is a good thing. Doesn't everyone?

Old 07-31-2019, 08:13 AM

923 posts, read 495,136 times
The US Constitution sets the rules for electing the President, not States.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:17 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:

Shouldn't we have recording devices in government official homes and offices so we can make sure they are honest and not making behind the scene deals that conflict with their office?

Let's take the meeting between Bill Clinton and Loretta Lynch. If there were microphones recording what was being said, there would be no question as to what happened.

Don't tell me you don't want to keep public officials honest and accountable by just recording all their conversations.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:24 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:

Actually the mandatory financial disclosure is much better for disclosing potential conflicts of interest. What it doesn't do so well, which is the current point, is allow Democrats to pick out line items, like charitable contributions, and get the vapors.

I had to fill out a Maryland disclosure for a couple decades. I guarantee you would have learned much more from that (mortgage holder, original mortgage amount, interest rate, from whom the property was bought, adult children's income, any inheritances, etc.) than my 1040.

But that's too hard.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:24 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Shouldn't we have recording devices in government official homes and offices so we can make sure they are honest and not making behind the scene deals that conflict with their office?

Let's take the meeting between Bill Clinton and Loretta Lynch. If there were microphones recording what was being said, there would be no question as to what happened.

Don't tell me you don't want to keep public officials honest and accountable by just recording all their conversations.

I am quite content with the precedent of tax disclosure. Documentation is required by law for WH meetings, unfortunately Trump tears up all the papers. Poor staff have to sit there and tape them back together.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies