Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 11:14 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Republicans did run on Reagans platform for 30 years, still have trickle down economics. This is the guy all of the 2008 and 2012 Republican candidates worshipped. Some Primary debates were based on how many Reagans one could get in by the end of the debate. Heck Republicans even held a primary in California so they could stand in from of his Air Force One and receive his wisdom.

Its way more relavent than your letting on
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
It’s 48 year-old ugly history. Nothing more. The only value in its resurrection is fomenting more anger.
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
Edmund Burke

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
George Santayana

Old 07-31-2019, 11:14 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
It doesn't matter if it was 1971. It's 2019 and people STILL think and talk that way about Africans and African Americans.
What percentage of white people still thinks and talks that way about black people, do you suppose?

Old 07-31-2019, 11:15 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, and that is why the Republicans to this day have such a bad reputation among many people of all ancestries. Not just because of Nixon and Reagan, of course, but because of many whites like them who thought there was nothing wrong in having and expressing truly racist ideas.

When it comes to extreme conservatives and extreme liberals, the words "A plague on both your houses" come to my mind.
I consider that my motto.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:16 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
Edmund Burke

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
George Santayana
This isn’t a history lesson. It’s racial pandering intended to foment anger. Nothing more. Enjoy!

Old 07-31-2019, 11:34 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What percentage of white people still thinks and talks that way about black people, do you suppose?
Now THAT would be a very interesting poll question, I think, even though all answers would be nothing but a guess, and I think it would be very difficult to even make a good guess!

For example, I was born in 1953, and lived in Ohio and then SoCal when I was very young, and before about 1970 or so, it was not unusual for me to hear some of my parents' friends and relatives (who I have no doubt would be Trump supporters today) make racist remarks about blacks. Back then, based on my experience, I would say that about 50% thought and talked in a racist way. Then in 1973, I moved to Alabama, and I would say that at least 90% of white Alabamans back then thought and talked that way (but, again, this was many years ago). However, after moving back to SoCal and then to Colorado (and living in Maine for a while in the early 2000's), I would guess that "only" about 20% thought and talked that way in 1980, dwindling down to the point that today I think that "only" about 10% of whites talk that way now., even though I personally don't know anyone who does that now, and the only white racist remarks I see are on C-D and what I read elsewhere.

(Btw, I would guess that after starting about 1970 or so, the number of people who thought that way was at least twice the number of people who felt comfortable enough to say those things.)

But, again, all of the above are just my guesses, based on just my own experience, and so I could be very, very wrong!

Last edited by katharsis; 07-31-2019 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 11:46 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I can come back with an even greater number of stories of black-on-white racism that has occurred since 1971. But what’s the point? Live in the now.
Uh....you can`t.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:05 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
What I will say is Trump is successful at driving wedges between groups. Even the Republican party is fractured, still mostly vote together but are going in two different directions. Democrats have flame throwers but no one has access to the media like a President has so differing opinions on both the Right and Left get drowned out.

Sometimes it is hard to figure out how much support Trump really has. Social media is has a outsized voice but I question its influence outside of DC, NY, LA, and SF, our media outlets are fractured so ratings are a poor indicator, compare Hannity's best at approx. 3 million versus Game of Thrones average of 10 million and it requires an additional subscription.

There are very few places that give Americans an actual feel of where the country is at.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:20 PM

628 posts, read 663,461 times
Please name one predominately black city in the US that’s is not a crime ridden dump? Go ahead, take your time. Funny thing about US blacks is that they turn everywhere they live into Africa. You call it “racist” the people call it truth.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:21 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The voting age was 18 in 1972. If someone was 18 in 1972, they're 65 years old.
Ok your right, I thought it changed in 73 but the change happened in 71. The election of 72 was the first one 18 yr olds could vote in. The poster I was replying to could be as young as 65 but is likely older. No matter what that poster being an older person knows that the kind of politically incorrect talk we are speaking of was common in the 70s. The only people who respect political correctness even today are mostly those under 40. In the 60s, 70,s and 80s no one was politically correct, in fact no one had even ever heard of that term. If something like PC was presented to people then they would think it resembled Orwell’s thought police (which it does). Forty years ago when we elected Reagan we actually still liked America, capitalism and we even respected the white old men who built the country.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:26 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Guess it shouldn't be surprising, but I didn't expect it from him.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-nixon/595102/
Yes, most black folks are not surprised about Saint Ronnie. He had that air about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies