Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 06:51 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times

Advertisements

I think it was Reagan was smarter and more likeable than the Democrat politicians of his day, not about reciting lines.

Obama was reliant on a Teleprompter.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:52 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Good, then maybe your side can stop dredging up Benghazi and other long dead issues !

As for this revelation, the release of this tape is CURRENT news, and quite shocking. For many people, Reagan walked on water.To hear him refer to blacks as "monkeys" is disturbing. Shows that, even in the people we hold up high, racism can exist.
Oh Don. You and your “sides”. I find it ridiculous that a man your age is so sophomoric when it comes to people. So tribal.

“Sides”. Lol.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:55 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
State rights are not inherently racist. That's a liberal lie and it was Democrats who used state rights argument to justify slavery and segregation, not Republicans.

If I say states should be allowed to make their own abortion laws, that's not racist.
It's a dog whistle...code words...especially when used in context in the confederacy.

As you well know, that exact term was given as the reason for succession...and is also now used for voter suppression and other such things....

"Defense of “states’ rights,” southern “honor" all factored into the decision making of southern statesmen in 1860-1861"

If he would have made a general speech in Michigan, etc. about it we could put another slant on it. But within a few miles of where "states rights" KKK murdered young men? No.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:55 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Dog whistles that liberals who claim they are not racists always seem to hear.

Saying that laws that have nothing to do with racism should be decided at the state level is not a racist argument.

I guarantee you if the federal government or Supreme Court banned abortion, liberals would start talking about state rights.

by your own logic, that would be racist...

I would say a real dog whistle would be Democrats nominating Al Gore, the son of a Democrat segregationist senator who filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964 along with Robert KKK Byrd, another liberal Democrat.

i don't think any informed wwhite racist didn't know about Al Gore's racist daddy.

Liberals always say Republicans are racists but many of their recent presidential candidates have had ties to Old South segregationists to include LBJ, Jimmy Carter, CLinton and Gore. Biden has had a lot of positive things to say about Democrat segregationists over the years and he leads the Democrat field right now.

In contrast, Republican nominees are generally not even from the south. Reagan, Nixon, the Bush family (Connecticut), McCain, Romney, Trump, etc.

it seems like if GOP had a southern strategery, we would nominate politicians with ties to the Old South segregationists like the Democrat party has done quite often.

why would we rely on a governor from California.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-31-2019 at 07:05 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 06:56 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
This thread went off the rails when people started trying to best each other as to how many times a week they hear the N-word, like it is a contest. And I have no idea where they live, but I have lived all over the country, have heard the word spoken exactly once in memory, and because I never hear it--it was shocking. It was said to a well-dressed, well-spoken businesswoman standing next to me in a parking lot. Frankly, it shocked me -- I was simply dumbfounded.

I don't care how many people brag about hearing it, simply to try to rationalize two old white Republican guys saying it, it is not common and not acceptable.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:57 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
AWESOME! So we can bring up one of the dems most outstanding people.....and provide words of what he said years ago, and attach those words to the current dem party.....even though he is dead.....

ROBERT BYRD.....

Thanks lefties...love it!

Old 07-31-2019, 07:05 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The amount of scandals, arrests and convictions in old Ronnies admin hit one of the highest in history. His rankings among POTUS are very so-so. His economic policies are thought by many to represent the beginning of the end and are the opposite that many of the righties here profess now (Ronnie loved outsourcing and stopped enforcing the Sherman act....in other words, he loved monopolies, etc.).....

But since the GOP has to try and drag up SOMEONE who they can point too...they've made RR their hero. Even the fact that his wife believed in the occult doesn't swing them...nor that he was divorced, an actor and a snitch (he gained power and favor turning in his fellow in Hollywood to the FBI as "commies")...

But, hey, he had the "GOP Brand" and his acting experience meant he could recite lines well.

I never really knew much about Reagan, to be honest. Up until this last election, I have been pretty apolitical, whoever was in there was ok with me, pretty much. But I know a couple of people who think Ronnie was Mother Theresa-ish, and that he could do no wrong. This proof of how he really felt about a certain group of people has surfaced now, and I bet a lot of people are surprised.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:09 PM

2,070 posts, read 892,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Trump View Post
You must not be normal.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Old 07-31-2019, 07:14 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Dog whistles that liberals who claim they are not racists always seem to hear.

Saying that laws that have nothing to do with racism should be decided at the state level is not a racist argument.

I guarantee you if the federal government or Supreme Court banned abortion, liberals would start talking about state rights.

by your own logic, that would be racist...

I would say a real dog whistle would be Democrats nominating Al Gore, the son of a Democrat segregationist senator who filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964 along with Robert KKK Byrd, another liberal Democrat.

i don't think any informed wwhite racist didn't know about Al Gore's racist daddy.

Liberals always say Republicans are racists but many of their recent presidential candidates have had ties to Old South segregationists to include LBJ, Jimmy Carter, CLinton and Gore. Biden has had a lot of positive things to say about Democrat segregationists over the years and he leads the Democrat field right now.

In contrast, Republican nominees are generally not even from the south. Reagan, Nixon, the Bush family (Connecticut), McCain, Romney, Trump, etc.

it seems like if GOP had a southern strategery, we would nominate politicians with ties to the Old South segregationists like the Democrat party has done quite often.

why would we rely on a governor from California.
You'd have a point if the scenario you're referring to wasn't people defending states rights to keep institutionalized racism intact. The states rights argument was used to counter the anti-slavery, and later pro-Civil Rights agenda of the federal government.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:20 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
This should come as no surprise to anyone. The GOP has been the party of white supremacy since the Vietnam War. Trump is just taking it to the next level, telling it like it is, and letting the chips fall where they may.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies