Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 11:47 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times

Advertisements

So the whole premise of Trickle Down Economics, and the current Trump Tax increase on the middle class so he can give cuts to the ultra-rich is that if you make the rich, richer, they will create jobs and it will benefit the middle and lower class. Is that right?

So tell me this: If that's what they were going to do with the tax cuts (spoiler: They didn't, they pocketed it and bought back their own stocks), then why would you advocate for the government to forcefully take the money from the middle class, give it to the rich, so they can just give it back to the working class?

Be honest here. If a liberal politician had come up with this plan, to take money from people, give it to other people, and trust them to give it back to the people you forcefully took it from, would you support it? Or do you only support it because it's a Republican plan?

I'm sure many will be tempted to deflect by telling me what the Liberals and Dems would (or do) do, but the question is not about that. Tell me, without deflecting, why it's a good idea to forcefully take money from the working class, give it to the rich, and expect them to give it back to the working class. If you can explain that, then explain to me why they would give it back, and when we might expect that to start. If you can't answer those two questions, then maybe you can tell us why you still think it's a good idea, or alternately, if you've changed your mind about that, tell us why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 11:53 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost

Tell me, without deflecting, why it's a good idea to forcefully take money from the working class, give it to the rich, and expect them to give it back to the working class.
The question is hereby rejected, as it was predicated on a gross misunderstanding of the recent tax cuts.

The Trump tax cuts merely allowed the working class to keep more of their money. What they chose to do with their tax savings was entirely up to them, as it should have been.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:53 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
We need Government to do this so it goes to the right people......those who already have money.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:56 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
The overwhelming majority of middle class Americans received a tax cut, you're delusional.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
it isnt the conservatives that want to redistribute the wealth, its the liberals. remember they are the ones that are pushing tax increase, welfare, free college tuition, free health care, etc. and since there is no such thing as a free lunch, someone has to pay for all that free stuff, and that ends being anyone paying taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
The question is hereby rejected, as it was predicated on a gross misunderstanding of the recent tax cuts.

The Trump tax cuts merely allowed the working class to keep more of their money. What they chose to do with their tax savings was entirely up to them, as it should have been.
Co out. It still does not explain the fact that a tax break was given to the rich based on the promise that they'll give those breaks to the poor.

1. Why add in the bureaucracy? and
2. Why hasn't it happened?

I guess my real question is this: Do you think the Trump Tax plan is a failure, or was it a lie from the get-go? I really struggle with answering that, because both are so likely with this admin....

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
So the whole premise of Trickle Down Economics, and the current Trump Tax increase on the middle class so he can give cuts to the ultra-rich is that if you make the rich, richer, they will create jobs and it will benefit the middle and lower class. Is that right?

So tell me this: If that's what they were going to do with the tax cuts (spoiler: They didn't, they pocketed it and bought back their own stocks), then why would you advocate for the government to forcefully take the money from the middle class, give it to the rich, so they can just give it back to the working class?

Be honest here. If a liberal politician had come up with this plan, to take money from people, give it to other people, and trust them to give it back to the people you forcefully took it from, would you support it? Or do you only support it because it's a Republican plan?

I'm sure many will be tempted to deflect by telling me what the Liberals and Dems would (or do) do, but the question is not about that. Tell me, without deflecting, why it's a good idea to forcefully take money from the working class, give it to the rich, and expect them to give it back to the working class. If you can explain that, then explain to me why they would give it back, and when we might expect that to start. If you can't answer those two questions, then maybe you can tell us why you still think it's a good idea, or alternately, if you've changed your mind about that, tell us why.
You have this bass awkwards. You are not 'taking money from people, giving it to support other people and trusting them to give it back to the people you took it from'. That's complete insanity. You are letting people keep what they earned in the first place. And if there IS any of what you describe going on (and there is), it's taking from higher earners and giving it to poor people who don't work (whether unable to or unwilling to).

Old 07-31-2019, 12:00 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Government does not give money to rich people or middle class people through the tax system.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:02 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times
We dont, this is what the Bern and people like Pocahontas are trying to push us towards.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it isnt the conservatives that want to redistribute the wealth, its the liberals. remember they are the ones that are pushing tax increase, welfare, free college tuition, free health care, etc. and since there is no such thing as a free lunch, someone has to pay for all that free stuff, and that ends being anyone paying taxes.
Actually, it's both.

Many of the current liberal candidates want to do as you describe (I am not for it, not on the scale they are promoting).

Conservatives since Reagan have stagnated income growth of the American worker and redistributed it to the richest of rich. I have posted the graph so many times, but if you want to look it up, just google something like "income gap by year" and see what you get, starting around 1980 until present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies