Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 10:49 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

I have two: 1) SSRI use, especially in young people, in whom their use is contraindicated due to their tendency to induce both suicidal and homicidal ideation and action and 2) counterintuitively, anti-gun advocates "triggering" events that will advance the cause of gun control and eventual disarmament. Notice that they always come "loaded for bear" with the capacity to kill hundreds, yet only ever kill a dozen.

Yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:53 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Young men who aren’t getting laid regularly.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Ah; the INCEL theory.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:57 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
They need a full time job to get their minds off of lack of sex appeal to girls. What shooter ever had a job, though some went off after getting fired?

Old 08-09-2019, 10:59 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
They need a full time job to get their minds off of lack of sex appeal to girls. What shooter ever had a job, though some went off after getting fired?
I would argue that work related stress is one of the biggest causes of people snapping and going postal. Our work culture is at the root of many of our nations problems.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
One thing they all have in common is "being depressed" or "being treated for depression" or "having a history of mental illness." That translates to SSRI use (the only treatment in use today). Instead of looking at that correlation, we react by encouraging even MORE young people to "seek help" (read: get on SSRIs). Vicious cycle.

But they could also be anti-gun advocates; that's would be brilliant. It's certainly effective.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I would argue that work related stress is one of the biggest causes of people snapping and going postal. Our work culture is at the root of many of our nations problems.
People have always had a) work stress, and b) guns. But people didn't "snap" and "go postal" before SSRIs.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I have two: 1) SSRI use, especially in young people, in whom their use is contraindicated due to their tendency to induce both suicidal and homicidal ideation and action and 2) counterintuitively, anti-gun advocates "triggering" events that will advance the cause of gun control and eventual disarmament. Notice that they always come "loaded for bear" with the capacity to kill hundreds, yet only ever kill a dozen.

Yours?

I have 3 causes...
Cowards
Gun Free Zones
Majority of people unarmed in public and unable to return fire.

They come loaded for bear, because the odds are, everyone is unarmed.
It would not matter how "loaded for bear" they are, if they had 10 to 15 guns pointed right back at them.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:05 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
I think, despite all the social media and ways to connect, people are more isolated and lonely. Your typical mass shooter is a young man. I just saw an article the other day that said 22% of millennials say they have no friends. A way to be less lonely is to make yourself the center of attention, good or bad. Gun violence makes the news, the national news at that. Add someone who is already mentally unstable and there you have the formula for just about every mass shooter out there: isolated, craving attention, and mentally unstable.

There is no quick fix or easy way to solve this. What's interesting to me is other countries have people with these same issues, but don't have mass shooting issues like we do in the US, so first we need to figure out what makes us different.

It's most likely the availability of guns we have here unlike any other country. But how do we keep those guns out of the hands of people who are willing to do mass shootings but still abide by the Second Amendment? I honestly think representatives of both sides of the "gun issue" need to set aside the finger pointing and childish name calling and sit down and really talk to each other and figure out some reasonable solutions that address the issue without reducing law abiding people's rights. Entrenching yourself on either side of the issue isn't going to solve anything, everything will stall out like it always does, until there is yet another mass shooting and more people die.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:08 AM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Yours?
SSRIs should be used in ANYONE. They increase serotonin levels in theory, but the serotonin theory of depression has been disproved. I think they may be causing some of these people to go off. Let's take them off the market and see if the mass shootings decrease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post

There is no quick fix or easy way to solve this. What's interesting to me is other countries have people with these same issues, but don't have mass shooting issues like we do in the US, so first we need to figure out what makes us different.

That's easy - firearm availability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies