Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 09:23 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Using a Product that has become part of everyday life in the USA as a toy, to take away political power, if you don't eat your peas.
Just "bing" it Just "duck duck go" it

So monopoly power is okay if it only bankrupts the peons?

Note I do not actually go for that argument but am using the GOP arguments against the GOP.

I'm against all corporate monopolies/ oligopolies. Regardless of their slant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 09:26 AM

16,602 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I honestly think that people don't appreciate the threat that Google, Facebook, and the internet infrastructure near-monopolies present.

Perhaps we just deserve the world we'll end up with.
If nothing is done to stop it then yes, we deserve what we get.
However I think people are waking up to such dangers, even some old school liberals who value free speech, thought and diversity of ideological views.
They correctly understand that the pendulum swings back and forth, and what is harming the other side today, will come back to harm them tomorrow.

You need look no further than the "Biden rule" or the "nuclear option", both created by Democrats that came back to bite them.

`

Old 08-14-2019, 09:27 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Real election meddling and lefty is like, "cool story bro"

Old 08-14-2019, 09:30 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I thought businesses were free to help whomever they pleased. Private business and private property and all that.
Oh, it's fine for the Kochs, Mellons, Mercers and all of those...to insert themselves everywhere from the state houses to the cities to the feds......

But it's not fine for those who believe in Democracy!

The Right in this country are nothing if not hypocrites. That's their middle name......balance the budget, no more money for security state....and on and on.

Pick the issues and they eventually start blabbering about the destruction of human life by the Fertility doc...and, they don't even consider that it doesn't fool anyone any longer (in a day and age when 95% or more of Catholic women practice birth control).

Old 08-14-2019, 09:30 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I honestly think that people don't appreciate the threat that Google, Facebook, and the internet infrastructure near-monopolies present.

Perhaps we just deserve the world we'll end up with.
Oh, I think that we are well aware of it now. Since November 2016, and growing every day.

I think it is now safe to say that without Facebook, there probably would be a different outcome to the 2016 election.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:33 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Well, surely not. This would be entirely contrary to the Google CEO's sworn testimony before Congress a couple of months ago.

If this is right, then he will have some 'splainin to do to the DOJ/FBI. Or maybe some jail time to serve for perjury.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
I don't agree with all the Google bashing. I like Google. I use Chrome browser, gmail, google photos, google music, google translate, google maps, google drive. My cell phone runs great on Android and I get apps from the play store. I have many of the tracking features turned off, and I am not worried about what little data they might be gathering from me. I get next to zero spam in my email. I can't even remember how long its been since I got a spam email.

The one google item I don't use much is the one that made them famous - search. I use duck duck go search, that does not gather or save any data on your searches. Why should I be upset with google?

I worked for nearly 40 years as a network engineer in the telecom business in California. Google did wonders for my job security in the last 15 years of my career. Google has been a key player in the internet technology revolution that resulted
in excellent, high paying job opportunities for hundreds of thousands of people, especially in California. I am counting people that have worked for them or tech / telecom companies that had connections or business with Google, like where I worked.

What Google has accomplished is the envy of technology companies in every country in the world, especially outside of the USA. This google bashing is like they are all wondering how google has been able to do so much that has changed the world within a relatively short time.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:09 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Yawn.....stretch..........

I'm sure DOJ is highly qualified to deconstruct AI code. Only 6% of Scientists ID as Republican and I doubt that the top people are immoral enough to work for the current Admin.

Remember, you are talking about the guy who asked Zuck "How do you make money?" and who accused him of making the iPhone he held in his hand.

I think those cave dwellers are a LONG way from understanding multiplication let alone AI.
All it takes is one phone call to the NSA. Plus the whistleblower.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:15 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
All it takes is one phone call to the NSA. Plus the whistleblower.
Don't worry, that poster has no intent in engaging in realistic scenarios, only misleading scenarios that he can politicize.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:44 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
Ask Jeeves.

Get used to it.
That was like my go-to search engine 18+ years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies