Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 11:27 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Because its'a separate and rather unrelated point. (That's why His Orangeness used the word "Also".) Obviously, you'd much, much rather talk about that.

So try, if you have it in you, to address the fact that His Orangeness issues orders directly to US companies that they're to "immediately start looking for an alternative to China".
Absolutely NOT.

It was part of the same set of tweets. You are cherry picking it apart out of context. And the fact that you refer to him as "His Orangeness" perfectly displays the intent behind the motivation to do so.

The President is perfectly correct to order companies to stop importing this dangerous drug. Why would you disagree?

Old 08-23-2019, 11:28 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Gee, no new law? No new Executive Order? More intentional lies, and misleading info from the OP?
But why choose that language.....Trump most certainly thinks he can dictate this kind of order as President.

I know you folks are smarter than that and know it is not a binding order, has no relevance, is just grandstanding.........but there is nothing to prove that Trump doesn't think he has that power or right. Trump believes the President of the USA should have the right to dictate what a business does.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Absolutely NOT.

It was part of the same set of tweets. You are cherry picking it apart out of context.

The President is perfectly correct to order companies to stop importing this dangerous drug.
But the companies don't import it.

And there are already laws on the books to make it illegal to knowingly import illegal substance.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:32 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I think I like the timeline I'm living in:
Team Red: Pro-intellectual property, pro-US manufacture, anti-fentanyl importing, reverse outsourcing
Team Blue: Orange Man Bad, pro-Chinese, pro-outsourcing

It's a beautiful thing.

You know bolshies, he's picking battles you can't win. It's probably best to stick to men-in-dresses and environmental issues, at least the last one doesn't make you look silly.
If you are living in this timeline it's one of your own making...or listening to some of the nuts here and elsewhere.

Little or nothing has changed from the past...most all Americans have held similar views on much of this for decades. In fact, the GOP was much more into "complete free trade and outsourcing" due to their praying at the altar of profit and whatever the corporatists say.

The Dems realize the way of the world...and it has always been trade, but they believe in mitigating problems as with the "coal deal". That is, accept that coal is dead and retrain and build up alternatives.

The Dems and Independents have no changed on these issues...but one party, the same on that OPENED UP CHINA FOR TRADE IN THE MODERN TIMES, is now trying to close the barn door well after the horse have left and died and become replaced with motorcars.

I guess, for them, it's like white nationalism. A dream they can never possibly bring to fruition, so they are all angry and upset about it.

It does make a head spin after hearing (an idiot, IMHO) Kudlow ranting about Free Trade for decades...to see a COMPLETE 180.

Typical Authoritarianism. The problem is, none of it will work or accomplish anything except for ruin.

They won. Take the lumps and move on.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But the companies don't import it.

And there are already laws on the books to make it illegal to knowingly import illegal substance.

Fentanyl isn't an illegal substance. It does have valid uses. And don't go Mr. Literal on us. The President is 100% correct in what he said about them bringing it in from China.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:33 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And here I thought conservatives frowned on government interference in private enterprise.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...14959131848705

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...14960046133249

"hereby ordered", that doesn't leave much room for interpretation. Did US industry get nationalized while I wasn't looking?
He wishes he had that much power, lol. Sorry, Trump, your little wand waving won't work here.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:33 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
There is no doubt in my mind that a law pre-existed President Trump's tweet on whether the US could import Fentanyl. The Executive branch of the government has the authority to enforce existing laws. I believe the OP's title and post were intentionally deceptive in an attempt to cause anyone with existing or potential TDS to scream, out of nothing but illogical emotion, because they weren't given the entire context of the tweet.

Lies about anything it doesn't like and wants interfered with... it's how the LEFT works.
Lies about anything it doesn't like and wants interfered with... it's how the RIGHT works.

Lies and political manipulations are what keeps politicians and government in general able to divide the country, causing focused anger rather than allowing people to sit back and consider the true cause of the majority of our nation's problems... the government and its interference in our natural right to be free to choose.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:34 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
You'll probably get your wish. I hope you are ready for a prolonged period of 20%+ unemployment and all of the social consequences that will come with that. It's devastating that it's come to this.

The next 7-10 years for the U.S. economy look the bleakest since the 1930s. We will all still be suffering long after nobody is talking about Trump anymore.
Not to mention the effects we all are going to feel due to climate change and the problems with our environment. We just think we have problems now.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I
The Dems and Independents have no changed on these issues...but one party, the same on that OPENED UP CHINA FOR TRADE IN THE MODERN TIMES, is now trying to close the barn door well after the horse have left and died and become replaced with motorcars.....
Dear, why don't you learn some History.

Nixon did visit China. But it was Jimmy Carter who opened up the trade. Last time I checked, Carter was a Democrat.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:37 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It's an official statement from the President of the USA. Yes it is in tweet form but it is a statement from our President.
Tweets are now legal official government policy? I didn't get the memo. Then again I dont tweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies