Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 06:45 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
So, Obama did not have Osama bin Ladin done away with? I think even Fox News reported it.
And you think that stabilized the Middle East? He killed Osama and armed the rebels who eventually formed into ISIS. Then destabilized Libya. His policies weren’t stabilizing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 06:52 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
And you think that stabilized the Middle East? He killed Osama and armed the rebels who eventually formed into ISIS. Then destabilized Libya. His policies weren’t stabilizing at all.
The people who created ISIS were under the rule of Saddam. Bush/Cheney freed them from Saddam so they could rape and pillage.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:55 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,835 times
Of course Trump wants Middle East oil to flow freely. His beloved China needs that oil.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:57 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,766,996 times
Quote:
His beloved China needs that oil.
The same China that hes started a trade war with...huh...

Old 08-26-2019, 07:17 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
The people who created ISIS were under the rule of Saddam. Bush/Cheney freed them from Saddam so they could rape and pillage.
Believe me, I blame Bush too. I kind of feel sorry that Obama had to come after Bush, but he didn’t make the right choices either. And going into Libya after knowing what happens when we destabilize a country over there is inexcusable.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:30 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
New technology called fracking.
I thought this would be an easy answer for everyone to get. Changes in extraction opened the door to our current situation that was not known before late 2000's. The ability to extract via Fracking changed the game. Also fuel standards have greatly improved, every car including most SUV's and Trucks in America built since the 2010's is capable of getting 20+ miles per gallon which is a huge gain over 90's and 80's. Sometimes I am shocked at how fast my old 1997 Silverado beater goes through gas compared to new models with new V8's. And its averaging about what it always has, minus 1 mpg, and had half the power of the new stuff.

Why do you think we were so deep into the middle east all these years. If we had the technology in the 70's 80's and 90's we could have avoided a lot of situations and costly wars for us.

Considering the average of poster's age here (much older than 30's) and the fact that I am in my 30's and can recall the "we need the middle east oil" conversations from the 80's and 90's means many of you are lying or have selective memory recall on this subject. We didn't go to Iraq for fun, and it certainly was not for Tubes and Yellow Cake. We thought we needed the oil.

Those earthquakes across the mid-west is concerning, as are the methane leaks in water supplies. Fracking is not a perfect solution and I worry that most of the reserves will not be extracted due to adverse events from Fracking. We are in the early stages with just a decade or so of fracking and have some serious problems in communities close to sites.

Last edited by Daryl_G; 08-26-2019 at 07:40 AM..

Old 08-26-2019, 07:36 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
the media was filled with stories about peak oil, numerous books were published on the subject (such as Half Gone and $20 a Gallon!), and even Homer Simpson mentioned it in an episode about doomsday preppers. Now, the topic is largely forgotten. So what happened libs?....
1. I am to the left and was in "energy" for most of my career and never believed a word of it.

2. The Peak Oil thing came from one of the top geniuses of Oil Economics, not from some lefty somewhere. He worked at SHELL in TEXAS....not a "liberal"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._King_Hubbert

3. Fracking and higher prices and oil sands and other such things have supplemented the supply. Hubbert referred mostly to the "easy oil" which was selling for prices of $1 to $5 a barrel due to low extraction prices.

4. I personally bet some of those "peak oil" crazies....and won the bets.

5. Modern US Oil wells produce (each) a tiny fraction of what the old finds did. This is why they are often shut down when oil prices go up...the cost of production can be as high as $40 or more per bbl.

6. Because of "lefty" efficiency and MPG and other moves, a consumer today can drive as far or further on the same oil (and create less pollution)....

Glad to educate you!

Old 08-26-2019, 07:37 AM

17,631 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
The President doesn’t realize that we should pull out of the Middle East. In fact, he wants another war there. So much for thinking “we produce enough fossil fuels here”.
Have you ever written a post on C-D that is accurate?

If Trump wanted another war in the Middle East, we'd be in it.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:56 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
If Trump wanted another war in the Middle East, we'd be in it.
I can't prove it but I believe Trump, Bolton and Bibi do want a war with Iran. What's holding them back, IHMO, is the Pentagon is coming up with some estimates of huge costs in money and casualties to wage it. Moscow's alliance with Tehran is another complicating factor, especially if one thinks Putin has veto power over Trump.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:59 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I can't prove it but I believe Trump, Bolton and Bibi do want a war with Iran. What's holding them back, IHMO, is the Pentagon is coming up with some estimates of huge costs in money and casualties to wage it. Moscow's alliance with Tehran is another complicating factor, especially if one thinks Putin has veto power over Trump.
Why would Trump want that? It would tank the markets, and the economy right before the election. It would create chaos, and uncertainty, plus the immense cost in $$$ and possibly lives. Many if not most people are sick of us being in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria. Another Mideast conflict would not be supported. Trump knows this. Putin has nothing to do with it. Only to the brainwashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies